IGNORED

Atari Flashback 12 Custom Firmware for USB roms and boxart

People have been asking me for a version of my CFW for the Atari Flashback 12, which is fundamentally similar/same as the AFB 50th but technically a different sku with some minor software differences.

I do not own one of these units and have no way to test a custom firmware or provide full support.  However, since people have asked I have made a version of my cfw for AFB12 and attached here for any brave soul who wants to try it out.

I would refer you to prior threads about the AFB X and 50, since the procedure is fundamentally the same.  Please apply the official AFB12 (AR3080B) 1.1.1 firmware to your device first (https://firmwareupdate.atgames.net/).  The CFW will install on top of it.  Extract the atari_update.img file to your USB flash device, attach to the AFB12 via OTG cable, boot up and follow the update procedure.  After reboot, power off and delete the update image file. 

IF I did this correctly then you should have the same custom behavior as provided by firmwares for earlier Flashback versions.  The rom dumping behavior is still triggered by the presence of an empty mount_sd.ini file on your USB drive, and you can also still deploy custom startup.sh scripts, or try out the Nexus packages. 

No warranties, guarantees, use at your own risk, yadda yadda.  Good luck!

AFB12_AR3080B_CFW_1.1.1.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya

I just downloaded both AFB12G and AFB50G 1.1.1 and did a hex file compare in Beyond Compare and both seem to be identical.

According to the Wikipedia entry, the games list is perhaps the same.

Actually had a "regular" AFB50 (AR3070), but when 1.1 came out, flashed it with the AFB50G firmware (AR3080), which gave it the extra games with no ill effects.

ATGames don't even seem to have an entry for the AR3070 edition, so hand was forced somewhat to go to the Gold version.

However, having the AFB9 and AFBX and flashing those gave me some confidence.

Then used Brad's excellent CFW on top of that - I reported my findings etc on the other thread.

I did play around with some of the Nexus builds a while ago but these froze, so went back to being as "stock" as I could - adding the roms to a folder on the USB stick (with the OTG splitter cable)

• 3 weeks later...

OK, just to try and verify I've got the right download ... I have the FB12 Gold. I have already used the Atari image to patch it to 1.1.1

Now I use the one in the first post here to update for (availability of) roms, images, and NEXUS.

Right? The first time I tried to download, it came down corrupted, but this one looks good, so I'm ready to put it on my thumb drive and update again.