IGNORED

Season 15 ~ Week 4 ~ Gold Medal Winner

Vocelli

Junior Pac-Man: 59080

While playing today, I observed that I my speed relative to the ghosts is better moving vertically than horizontally.  If Blinky is chasing me left/right, he'll catch me easily if I'm eating dots.  If he's chasing me while moving up/down, I stand a much better chance of outrunning him, especially if it's a section of the maze where the dots are spaced farther apart.

image.thumb.png.c885f5ef2c927926949114c8a4ef7bb9.png

• Like 4

5 hours ago, kermit73 said:

Junior Pac-Man: 59080

While playing today, I observed that I my speed relative to the ghosts is better moving vertically than horizontally.  If Blinky is chasing me left/right, he'll catch me easily if I'm eating dots.  If he's chasing me while moving up/down, I stand a much better chance of outrunning him, especially if it's a section of the maze where the dots are spaced farther apart.

image.thumb.png.c885f5ef2c927926949114c8a4ef7bb9.png

Looks like there are 6 ghosts chasing you 😂

• Haha 1

Wow, the great games just keep coming this season. Pac Mn Jr. is another case of GCC getting far more out of the 2600 than anyone had any right to. As ever, there are compromises to make a game written for more powerful hardware fit the 2600, but it captures that frantic feel of the arcade game superbly, and even manages some decent tunes and neat animations. I love this, even if I'm not great at maze eater games generally.

Have also found some programmers initials (I'm not going to lie, I did research this one rather than just knowing it . . .not sure if that constitutes cheating!). But here is SAB on the half pipe, apparently representing Steve A Baker.

Anyway, that's enough from me, here's a score :

Jr. Pac-Man (1986) (Atari)_1.png

California Games (1987) (Epyx)_14.png

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lauren Tyler said:

How did you do that?

what he doesn’t say is that coming back through you technically have to hit the wall first and bounce off to hit tar strip and for a moment the initials appear. I took a video with my phone then screenshotted the exact moment for this submission because the initials flash. Hope this helps! Let me know if you get it!

• Like 1

I think there's a problem on the first post - didn't I get the Missile Command bonus?  It says "mikey" not me...  Do I need to try for a different one, or is that a typo?

Anyway, here's my Jr Pac score

jrpacman.png

Edited by mack25
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 8:57 PM, Jason_Atari said:

image.png.0b394b51b6bcecbb57f06331088a9040.png

Looks like there are 6 ghosts chasing you 😂

I noticed this too.  I must have snapped the pic at just the right moment between frames.  I think this illustrates that the ghosts are cutting the corners which is why they can turn corners more efficiently than you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Alex_813 said:

And then, this happened

PXL_20240205_054939472.MP.jpg

Ugh!

Just curious - Is this the joystick that comes with the Atari 2600+, and likely the joystick you get if you were to order a brand new one directly from Atari?

This looks to be similar to the lousy design they used on the Atari Flashback units which are prone to breaking exactly as shown in the photo.  I was hoping that with the 2600+, they'd go back to the design that was used on the original joysticks from the 70s and 80s.

I've been using joysticks that I recently upgraded myself using the gold plated circuit boards provided by Best Electronics.  While they have the benefit of working (compared to the old circuit board with worn out or corroded contacts), I'm still not completely used to them.  I'm not sure if I didn't install them exactly right, or if they are just a little more sensitive.  I find that when trying to just go up/down/left/right, I often end up activating two of the contacts and get an unintended diagonal movement.  This was problematic week #1 with Dig Dug, and I'm noticing it again with Junior Pac-Man.  On both these games, if the joystick is diagonal, the direction it picks may not be the direction you intended to go.  I'm not sure if I have a legitimate gripe with my self-refurbished joysticks, or if it goes to the saying that "there is no good joystick for a bad player..."

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, kermit73 said:

Ugh!

Just curious - Is this the joystick that comes with the Atari 2600+, and likely the joystick you get if you were to order a brand new one directly from Atari?

This looks to be similar to the lousy design they used on the Atari Flashback units which are prone to breaking exactly as shown in the photo.  I was hoping that with the 2600+, they'd go back to the design that was used on the original joysticks from the 70s and 80s.

I've been using joysticks that I recently upgraded myself using the gold plated circuit boards provided by Best Electronics.  While they have the benefit of working (compared to the old circuit board with worn out or corroded contacts), I'm still not completely used to them.  I'm not sure if I didn't install them exactly right, or if they are just a little more sensitive.  I find that when trying to just go up/down/left/right, I often end up activating two of the contacts and get an unintended diagonal movement.  This was problematic week #1 with Dig Dug, and I'm noticing it again with Junior Pac-Man.  On both these games, if the joystick is diagonal, the direction it picks may not be the direction you intended to go.  I'm not sure if I have a legitimate gripe with my self-refurbished joysticks, or if it goes to the saying that "there is no good joystick for a bad player..."

Good eye. It's actually a Flashback controller. I haven't tried the new bundled 2600+ controller yet.

I have a bunch of original controllers laying around, so was going to hold off on breaking that one out. I should probably give it a shot and see how it handles 4 way duties.