IGNORED

Making a dedicated tape player SIO cable -- which pins needs to be connected?

Hello,

I am planning on making a cable as per above. However, being new to Atari8, I have no idea about all the pins that need connecting for such an application!

Anyone tried this already? If you have on of these already, would you mind checking the pins?

On the minimum I guess I need to connect power (+5V or 12V?), GND (apparently only one of the two is normally used), motor control, some means of data in and out...

1 minute ago, sup8pdct said:

Sio in, Gnd, Sio out, Gnd, Motor control, +5v, and Audio in. They are pins 3,4,5,6,8,10,11.

Yes, there are 2 Grounds.

Thanks, that's what I thought, though I guess for a 1010-specific cable one can ignore +5V and GND... 

I noticed that one of the GNDs doesn't appear connected at all in the (nearly) complete, remade cables on eBay, they also use 12 core cables...

I guess I will just interconnect both GNDs with a single core, don't see why not.

For just cassette loading alone you could get away with just GND and Serial Data In.  Add Serial Data Out if wanting write operations.

Motor control only needed if your device has that functionality.  In theory you could use it on an emulated device as a prompt to commence operating.  When doing tape read (OPEN) by CIO there's a set delay where input is ignored to cater for leader and unwanted noise (10 seconds?)

Audio In only needed if your external device is to supply audio.  It gets mixed with Pokey and keyboard click sound but isn't detectable or able to be processed by the host computer (sadly)

8 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

ground, rd, sd, mtr, cmd

For future reference and if someone else reads it with the sam aim as me, I read in the documentation that the cassette player is a 'dummy' device, i.e. it ignores Command altogether.

Hence, the full, correct answer is per below. GND pins can/should be interconnected with one core, hence a six core cable is required. The 1010 users can skip at least +5V (possibly even GND) as it has its own power supply, but that would be a bit of an exaggeration, in my view.

12 hours ago, sup8pdct said:

Sio in, Gnd, Sio out, Gnd, Motor control, +5v, and Audio in. They are pins 3,4,5,6,8,10,11.

Yes, there are 2 Grounds.

7 hours ago, baktra said:

If you want some support for emulating a data recorder with one of the turbo upgrades, consider also connecting the COMMAND wire.

Thanks, but i don't have any of those, and don't intent to use them. Given all the gadgets out there all of which are muchf aster and more convenient than cassette, I am simply doing this for completeness sake.

Wait a second?

Making a dedicated tape player?

So you just want to play an Audio tape?

No reading or sending of Data?

Does the tape player have it's own speaker?

If that's the case, just motor and ground to turn it off and on.

Audio if it has not speaker... otherwise my post above is for everything as a full data cassette tape player/recorder with or without mods should need

Edited by _The Doctor__

The complete list above includes DATA in and out (designated SIO in and out). Audio in is a left channel signal used for some training software, i.e. it played real human voice or music while loading the software, and such. Not a definite "must", but I am connecting it for completeness sake.

12V, nothing as far as i know.

Clock in and clock out, actually one is a bidirectional clock. I think the midimate interface uses clock in so pokey sends/receives data at the correct rate. Other midi interfaces dont as the selected pokey divisor is close enough, but there may be devices that are picky about data rate.

Proceed and interrupt i believe are used by Rverter interface. Some clones don't.

On 2/2/2024 at 10:01 AM, WxAxNxDxExRxExR said:

The complete list above includes DATA in and out (designated SIO in and out). Audio in is a left channel signal used for some training software, i.e. it played real human voice or music while loading the software, and such. Not a definite "must", but I am connecting it for completeness sake.

Also used in some games, Moonbase IO is one I know of.