Hello. I created a new game : Mummy Maze

mummy_maze_0001.png.88b85141528e40724c9c23d05a7bc006.png   mummy_maze_0002.png.007c6ba1c015895ceaf0bfad0fe96257.png

An archaeologist explore many Egyptian pyramids. In order to open sarcophagus. He must find all anks dispersed in the maze. But beware: the tomb is stuffed with deadly spikes and lethal arrows. Bats and cursed mummies gonna give you a hard time; however, if you find the holy khopesh, you will can face them.

When you open sarcophagus, a new exploration in a larger and harder tomb awaits you.

Good luck.

I had the idea about this game since I was a teen. I planned to create a game inspired by Atic Atac, a famous gamy for ZX Spectrum, with a nightmarish ambiance. Finally I decide to create a simple game with original idea.

Specidications :

- Mazes are generated randomly so you gonna not risk to encounter the same level.

- Tombs become bigger during your progress. You gonna need your memory, else you gonna have trouble to find yourself.

- You earn an extra life every 1000 points for a maximum of nine lives.

mummy_maze.rom

Edited by Nicam_Shilova
  • Like 18

Thanks for the game. Nice but tough. I came across a couple of problems. I went into one room and it was garbled. Another time I came into a room and it was all black and no way to proceed. Sorry, I didn't take pictures. 

Thanks for the game! I have also noticed the totally garbled room - happened on two different games out of about 10 games played.  I captured the output:

image.png.139c5d0cf6b2b1bce3d7c6f9f81ddf35.png

I'm using ColecoDS 9.1 with the CZ80 core and 'RANDOM' starting RAM contents and a stock Coleco BIOS.

2 hours ago, wavemotion said:

Thanks for the game! I have also noticed the totally garbled room - happened on two different games out of about 10 games played.  I captured the output:

image.png.139c5d0cf6b2b1bce3d7c6f9f81ddf35.png

I'm using ColecoDS 9.1 with the CZ80 core and 'RANDOM' starting RAM contents and a stock Coleco BIOS.

I got the same screen in a room of exploration 4.   BTW fun game , thanks Nico!

15 hours ago, Nicam_Shilova said:

I think I found a fix about garbling display. Don't hesitate to download and play this new version and let me know if the problem is solved.

mummy_maze.rom 29.74 kB · 10 downloads

With the original rom image that you posted…

I experienced the garbled screen bug almost immediately when using CoolCV.

However, after a long play using GearColeco (the latest build posted in another thread by Captain Cosmos), it played perfectly.

Didn’t test on a real CV or ADAM.

Edited by NIAD

I think the cause is the system dipslay too many graphics at once. Currently I search to reduce displaying for each cycle. However, I'm constrained to reorganize an entire part of the code, and it's more easier to say than doing.

Edited by Nicam_Shilova
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2024 at 10:44 AM, Nicam_Shilova said:

I think the cause is the system dipslay too many graphics at once. Currently I search to reduce displaying for each cycle. However, I'm constrained to reorganize an entire part of the code, and it's more easier to say than doing.

Let me know if you get stuck, I can help with tips for optimizing/moving code to the write place etc

• Like 1

Sorry for the waiting, code edit required a lot of fix. Now, you are not supposed to meet again this glitch. You can donwload it in the first post.

To testing my games, I use BlueMSX and the real hardware. I don't know results with others emulators or Colecovision Phoenix.

I also recognize my games push Coleco into a corner.

Edited by Nicam_Shilova
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric M said:

Salut Nico,

Seras-tu à la GemTos2024 et y présenter 'Mummy Maze' ?

Bravo pour ce nouveau jeu ;)

Durant le mois de mai je prévois de participer au Retro Games Alpes 2024 (si c'est confirmé) et vu que je ne sais pas si je ferai la PGR 2024, faire le GemTos2024, ce serait beaucoup en l'espace de 2 semaines ! Une autre fois peut-être.

• Like 1

If this bug can be reproduced under emulation, then that's where all efforts should be concentrated. An emulator equipped with a step-by-step debugger should be enough to track the problem down and ultimately provide an explaination for the bug. Testing on real hardware is a good thing, of course, but it's absolutely necessary only if emulation fails to reproduce the bug.

Just my two cents.

On 2/10/2024 at 1:44 AM, Nicam_Shilova said:

Durant le mois de mai je prévois de participer au Retro Games Alpes 2024 (si c'est confirmé) et vu que je ne sais pas si je ferai la PGR 2024, faire le GemTos2024, ce serait beaucoup en l'espace de 2 semaines ! Une autre fois peut-être.

Peut être que l'on s'y verra à nouveau à la RGA , j'y ferais peut être a nouveau un tour cette année si je peux.🙂

• Like 1