IGNORED

What are you tinkering with today?

Sweet!  My Tower of Power works!  Kind of.

IMG_20240202_220628433.thumb.jpg.435a34d32d5d5fbf77dd01a1900588cf.jpg

The Sega CD keeps kicking out the disc. Not reading it for some reason. Probably need to rebuild the laser or something.  And the audio cuts out. Needs new capacitors all around. Anyway it runs the 32x game!

The 5200 to the right is just a placeholder for now. I've got no power supply, games or controllers.  The rest of the stuff on the left works tho.

What you up to with your setup?

I just got my Sega CD back, actually, and it has the same problem! I moved across the country years ago and had to leave most of my retro stuff behind, and I was in the middle of repairing mine. Weirdly, I brought parts of it with me, so the whole machines been spread out around 4000 kilometers for a few years. I wonder if that's a record of some kind...
Anyway, If I remember correctly, it has to do with some belts in the drive. The whole mechanism is weirdly over-complicated, but they just look so much cooler than the Model 2.
So, I'll be tinkering with the same thing shortly, trying to remember where I was at several years ago in the middle of a repair. Should be fun? I also need to redo the grease on my PCE-CD drive sled. Already got a new middle gear and now it almost works! You can hear it at least trying to do stuff now, so that's a definite improvement.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed the right shoulder button on one of my 2DS systems.  The plastic that kinda acts like a dust/debris shield got hammered and curled into the system, causing the button to barely move.  I clipped the busted plastic away and now it works.

Yesterday I added some electrical tape to the cage surrounding my BlueSCSI for my PowerBook 180 as I swear if the system got jostled, it would reboot.  Doesn't seem to happen any more now.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not much I'd want to put into pictures, finds/thrift shows the items at least, but I did two small successful resurrections of dead electronics this weekend.

1) goodwill outlet, old labtec speakers in offwhite under sound blaster name, also sold in black as the mail aways Sega did for the genesis.  They were just vile on the outside, didn't even come inside bad until cleaned.  The volume wheels were just shot and nearly shot, powering up was a bit ehhh...  Ended up scubbing them hard with a brush and cleaner, then more with magic eraser and alcohol externally.  Inside reflowed most/all the solder joints I could, even the rear of the volume wheel module, chased by soaking a brush in alcohol and scrubbing the hell out of the wheel itself inside where it attaches to de-gunk the thing.  They work now, quite well, very audible more than they have a right to be at that size/age.

2) pac-man bandai tv game thing -- wouldn't power up except once.  Battery rotted one connector (unpowered side) which needed vinegar and alcohol.  Then the switch was really finicky so that got more alcohol and a reflow- fixed.  Moved onto the touchy video that wouldn't pop up at all at first, reflowed that space, cleaned, came up...with no sound, it was like one fail after another.  Did the same to the audio part, had to roll it over to the other side remove some hot glue, put new solder in a blob down to seep in the place...audio restored.

So two small but utterly worthwhile personal victory fixes to keep.

• Like 2

I was planning to update, but I got these games over the weekend for $3 a pop, and one of them was suffering (all Genesis games) and it was Super street fighter 2.  The sound was almost gone, and I was getting background graphics glitching.  Ultimately it went somewhat well at first, removed the SMC on the thing and put an appropriate cap on there to get the audio back up to where it hopefully should have been.  It was like 2x louder but still low.  There was anotehr ceramic cap off the chip and I tried to replace that and it didn't go well from there.  I was poking about and it looks like maybe someone was in there before, not sure, but the game was either jacked up by someone before I got to it, or it was just bad from age.  That particular chip wasn't even 100% lined up but just touching...ehhhh well enough to the contacts vs the legs.  I pitched it, kept the shell as a replacement.  Glad I have the SNES version at least.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I got a Famicom Disk System, the belt was just done it spun and spun and I knew it would so I ordered one as the system itself shipped out, and all arrived today.  Despite the hour and my early mornings, I tore the thing down, the videos online aren't entirely honest about how you can just easily twist the triangle thing a bit and pop it off...there is no way to do it I guess without forcing it which I refuse to do.  I got the belt on fine, attempted a first attempt at an alignment, and oddly my plastic gear has a rectangle hole vs the circle I see online (wtf?!) but I lined that up as I should and used the allan wrench to get the spindle forward -- and... ERR 22. >:\

I did get the belt on right, it spun up but it just is like porch lights on and no ones home at the moment.  I may try again tomorrow but it's just not much time, especially to fiddle with it.  It may need to wait a few days which really sucks.  It came with a few games and a couple of them were quite interesting to me (Especially a non-localized title.)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I just got a Genovation Parallel Gameport adapter for my old Compaq DOS/Win95 laptop yesterday, and spent the evening trying to get it to play nice with some of the DOS games I have on it. I can already tell that is going to be a PITA. 😆

Also in the PC world, I'm close to finishing my IBM 5150. One of the disk drives needs a little help (it works but needs a little lubrication; hopefully I won't have to take apart the stepper motor), and the case needs a paintjob, and it'll be good to go. Beyond that, I want to add an XTIDE or PicoMem and probably try to upgrade the display situation at some point (my only functional setup is MDA).

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I recently installed a replacement screen for my GameBoy Pocket.

Admittedly, I'm a little picky around LCD replacements for portable consoles, as they are often garish and oversatured in their colors.

However, this being black and white... well, that doesn't play into it, it's clear and has no ghosting!

IMG_9689.thumb.jpg.a14bb55b513804312f0eabf77421e5dc.jpg

• Like 1

I don't have an image, not that you could hear an image.

Yesterday I had a lucky strike on marketplace, this guy over the river had a yellow GBC, a play it loud complete case and inserts with no handheld (DMG) yet I have a clear one I got recently, and it had a common rabbids game gba oddly in the box too.  The case needed a bit of cleaning and buffing, and I had that clear DMG so now it's on display, so there's that but not worth viewing for cleaning.  The GBC was dirty, it's not now, but it also had a 95% dead speaker, and I went part digging and discovered I had one remaining GBC speaker so now it sounds great.

Bad side...my other GBC I popped it open thinking I didn't cut the atomic purples shell slightly inside for the panel, which I did, but also popping it open I must have crimped the cable when I did it last or just removing it it was that frail (I've read online they can be) the screen died so my IPS is out. :(  At this rate I think I may order up 2 IPS panels and do up both, and a glass lens for the yellow.  The yellow isn't perfect but it's 95% fine and I'd rather keep that part of it original at this rate.

I fired up the port of arcade Donkey Kong on my CoCo 3 and hooked it up to my CRT in the basement.  When the game started, the bottom platform completely disappeared below the screen.  I've had this issue crop up before but thought it might have been something else as I can't adjust the vertical, horizontal, etc. on this more modern TV.  This time I did some digging online and found a service manual for it, thinking that there may be some knobs under the plastic I'd have to adjust.  Nope, there's an onscreen menu for that!  I adjusted the vertical size then adjusted the horizontal and all is good!

While not a "tinker" and not game related, the wife wanted to know if there's  way to record the 2024 Olympics in case it was on at weird times.  Recently I found a VCR with a DVD Recorder and found it had a modern digital tuner.  I had no idea (and the manual didn't specify) if it could RECORD OTA digital transmissions.  So I tried it tonight.  I recorded some of the TV show "Bones" and sure enough, it recorded just fine like it was the 1990's/2000's again.  For kicks I have a Roku box that has an analog composite cable and that too recorded onto tape without a hitch.  So she'll be happy.  Some of the kids asked "How are you recording.....tape.......?  That works?"

• Like 1