IGNORED

600XL with noisy video

Hoping the community can help point me in the right direction.

First, the machine displays non-text garbage almost like a psychedelic oscilloscope when the keyboard is plugged in. When the keyboard is unplugged from the main board, the machine boots to BASIC and loads carts.

Second, the RF signal is extremely noisy. I expect some noise, I grew up with RF, but this is pretty bad. Odder still, it seems that moving the machine, putting a small amount of pressure on the RF out connector at the computer, and pressing slightly on the RF shield all seem to very marginally improve the RF signal. 

I'm thinking there’s a short somewhere in the way to the RF modulator and maybe the gunk on the mylar keyboard cable are causing issues. 

Thoughts?

IMG_0872.thumb.jpeg.cdf9ab3ab4a42fadde744eb78c746c9a.jpeg

Edited by bushnrvn

I'd try the Atari RF cable with the taroid coils and make sure the shields were on and the select different channels on the Atari RF mod and display a few times, it the tuner has frequency control you could try dialing it in. more things to do but I'd start there.

Then we move on to transistors, 4050, and work our way down.

add in the monitor jack components and the socket etc and see what they produce.

If you have a scope et al grab the FSM, SAMS, etc and dig in.

Edited by _The Doctor__

9 hours ago, bushnrvn said:

Hoping the community can help point me in the right direction.

First, the machine displays non-text garbage almost like a psychedelic oscilloscope when the keyboard is plugged in. When the keyboard is unplugged from the main board, the machine boots to BASIC and loads carts.

Second, the RF signal is extremely noisy. I expect some noise, I grew up with RF, but this is pretty bad. Odder still, it seems that moving the machine, putting a small amount of pressure on the RF out connector at the computer, and pressing slightly on the RF shield all seem to very marginally improve the RF signal. 

I'm thinking there’s a short somewhere in the way to the RF modulator and maybe the gunk on the mylar keyboard cable are causing issues. 

Thoughts?

IMG_0872.thumb.jpeg.cdf9ab3ab4a42fadde744eb78c746c9a.jpeg

You are not giving much away here. I presume this to be a NTSC 600XL as you have a channel switch?

There is obviously lots of noise in the picture. Has the TV picture been proven reliable with another device?

What power supply are you using as there may be noise from the 5 Volt PSU? Is this voltage within range?

When you attach the keyboard, the chassis of the keyboard should be tied to the 600XL ground as it would be if the screening were attached.

The problem may be due to the modulator itself so definitely do what @_The Doctor__ suggested and switch to composite or Svideo output by supplying the monitor out components, which would always be the way forward.

Incidentally if the device has socketed chips, check that oxidisation to the pins has not occured.

Best of luck.

3 hours ago, TZJB said:

You are not giving much away here. I presume this to be a NTSC 600XL as you have a channel switch?

There is obviously lots of noise in the picture. Has the TV picture been proven reliable with another device?

What power supply are you using as there may be noise from the 5 Volt PSU? Is this voltage within range?

When you attach the keyboard, the chassis of the keyboard should be tied to the 600XL ground as it would be if the screening were attached.

The problem may be due to the modulator itself so definitely do what @_The Doctor__ suggested and switch to composite or Svideo output by supplying the monitor out components, which would always be the way forward.

Incidentally if the device has socketed chips, check that oxidisation to the pins has not occured.

Best of luck.

NTSC 600XL

TV works great with everything else.

PSU is the big white (yellow these days) brick, but I have ordered a replacement from TBA.

Keyboard is tied to ground, but I noticed the solder blob that connects the main board ground to the keyboard is split right down the middle. The wire is still soldered securely, but I'll redo this just in case.

I do suspect this is a grounding issue - pressing the metal shield into contact with the RF modulator (not even firmly, just enough to contact) improves picture quality considerably. 

Update.

I disassembled the keyboard and it is apparent that at some point in the past four decades, someone spilled something all over the keyboard. The mylar matrix is toast, covered in a crystalline brown gunk. With the mylar matrix removed from the keyboard assembly, I gave it a good scrubbing in the hopes that cleaning some of the gunk off the traces would resolve the weird power\crash issue.  This did the trick - the machine now boots with the keyboard plugged in, but of course, several of the keys are dead due to corroded or broken traces on the mylar. I know there are replacements out there, and that is what I will have to do, but would appreciate a recommendation as the only sources I've found are in Australia or the UK. I am in the US.

Overall, looking pretty good for this little machine so far. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bushnrvn said:

I know there are replacements out there, and that is what I will have to do, but would appreciate a recommendation as the only sources I've found are in Australia or the UK. I am in the US.

8Bitclassics sells them and are located in the US. Here is a link the keyboard mylar:

https://www.8bitclassics.com/product/retronics-atari-600xl-800xl-keyboard-mylar-replacement/

• Like 1