IGNORED

Good Atari 7800 games

shane857

2 hours ago, ChopperCommando said:

I had a 7800 back in the day.  My favorite games at the time for it were Food Fight, Tower Toppler, Desert Falcon, and Rampage.  Pole Position II was also a classic.  Xevious was fun for a few minutes of play but it got boring pretty quickly.  I also liked Impossible Mission but I didn't know at the time it was literally impossible to finish because of that bug.  I probably couldn't have finished it anyway because I just wasn't very good at it.

Yes all are good games. Tower toppler was released as nebulus on the c64. Same here with Xevious. I didn't care much for that shooter in the arcade. The PAL version of impossible mission 7800 is completable. They fixed the bug where some puzzle pieces are hidden behind other objects.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 8:02 PM, shane857 said:

I only own impossible mission PAL . This game is pretty tough 💪. Once you get used to the controls, the platforming and collecting puzzle pieces isn't too difficult. I am finding the puzzle matching part difficult. 9 pieces and 4 parts to each puzzle. You have to rotate and change colour pieces also wtf!! 😕😂 

s-l1600.jpg

I have been playing this one a lot lately, getting further and further in the game. Still haven't managed to solve any puzzles thou. 😂. Actually prefer it to the c64 version, controls are really tight and responsive using the original 2600 joystick . If Atari re-released this Bug fixed enhanced with speech...I would defo buy. Underrated game. 💪

Impossible Mission is one of those games where I almost never tried to actively beat it.  I would just run around, avoiding the robots, and trying to search all the furniture.  Most of the time I didn't even really care about solving the puzzles.  It was just fun to run around in that game in an "open-world" sense.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shane857 said:

Great collection. 💪 Which games do you play the most?

The boxed games are played the most, but my top games are Asteroids (original and Asteroids Deluxe homebrew), Astro Blaster, Astro Fighter, Donkey Kong PK, Robotron, Pac-Man Collection, A.R.T.I. Froggie, Keystone Koppers and E.X.O. 

I played Astro Blaster and Astro Fighter and Moon Cresta in the arcades BITD, do I had to have them when they came out. My favorite coin-op is Asteroids, it’s my most played game and I have versions of it for the 2600, 5200, 7800 and ColecoVision and Intellivision consoles. If you like Asteroids, I recommend Space Rocks for the 2600 and Asteroids Deluxe for the 7800 and get yourself a Starplex controller. This way you can play Asteroids the way it was meant to be played. 

Note: Centipede track-ball edition is excellent. If you have two TBs, you can play the co-op mode. My wife and I play Centipede TB a lot.

IMG_3739.jpeg

• Like 4

On 2/4/2024 at 10:47 PM, MikeM_ said:

Here’s all my 7800 games. 
Ace of Aces and Karateka aren’t that great IMO, but I love all the other ones I have. 

Would love to see the homebrews get official Atari releases (doesn’t Atari own AtariAge now?)

IMG_3910.jpeg

That Rampage cart label... 😖😖😖

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ChopperCommando said:

Impossible Mission is one of those games where I almost never tried to actively beat it.  I would just run around, avoiding the robots, and trying to search all the furniture.  Most of the time I didn't even really care about solving the puzzles.  It was just fun to run around in that game in an "open-world" sense.

Yeh, very addictive game. I play it most days. Probably never beat it thou...😂

9 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

The boxed games are played the most, but my top games are Asteroids (original and Asteroids Deluxe homebrew), Astro Blaster, Astro Fighter, Donkey Kong PK, Robotron, Pac-Man Collection, A.R.T.I. Froggie, Keystone Koppers and E.X.O. 

I played Astro Blaster and Astro Fighter and Moon Cresta in the arcades BITD, do I had to have them when they came out. My favorite coin-op is Asteroids, it’s my most played game and I have versions of it for the 2600, 5200, 7800 and ColecoVision and Intellivision consoles. If you like Asteroids, I recommend Space Rocks for the 2600 and Asteroids Deluxe for the 7800 and get yourself a Starplex controller. This way you can play Asteroids the way it was meant to be played. 

Note: Centipede track-ball edition is excellent. If you have two TBs, you can play the co-op mode. My wife and I play Centipede TB a lot.

IMG_3739.jpeg

Where did you purchase Moon cresta, Astro blaster and Astro fighter? The Atariage store? If so, are they still available to buy? 🤔

9 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

IMG_3739.jpeg

I really want to get E.X.O.

That fully works on 2600+ now right?

54 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Where did you purchase Moon cresta, Astro blaster and Astro fighter? The Atariage store?

Yes. I purchased them when they first came out (few years ago). I think they were part of the “Last Chance” sale but no longer available.