IGNORED

Good Atari 7800 games

shane857

Posted (edited)

I'll soon have Ninja Golf for 7800 from atari as that is their reissued cart, can't play 7800 fatal run until I have the CX78+ controller from amazon (atari was sold out of the new CX78 controller)

once I play ninja golf I'll see if it's a good game to enjoy including fatal run 7800

Edited by Prince Manic

Posted (edited)
On 2/4/2024 at 3:28 PM, Dr Karnov said:

IMG_20240204_202658.jpg

Dr.Karnov I see two Food Fights but no Fight Night!

You are missing out on one good boxing game for the 7800!

Of course you have a few I don’t have!

IMG_1017.jpeg

IMG_1014.png

IMG_1011.png

IMG_1012.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

IMG_1017.jpeg

IMG_1014.png

IMG_1011.png

IMG_1012.jpeg

Fight Night? I'll have to attend CCAG and see if any vendor has 7800 games for sale - how good is this 7800 game?

3 minutes ago, Prince Manic said:

Fight Night? I'll have to attend CCAG and see if any vendor has 7800 games for sale - how good is this 7800 game?

Maybe @MrChickenz can tell more.

I would say it is much better than the most reviews. I once bought it because I liked it very much from two player games on my C64.

Did not play it the last 15 years, just checked if it dumps and starts on the 2600+.

Will play it again soon, hopefully when a friend comes by, I remember two player was more fun. We'll see😊

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Prince Manic said:

I like it! At first I didn’t think it was any good. The controls are kinda backwards from other boxing games. It’s really only the fire button, instead of mashing the fire button to throw punches you simply hold down the fire button and move the directional pad or joystick for the swing. To block let go of the fire button and move the directional pad or joystick. To move also let go of the fire button. Once I figure this out it is really good 7800 boxing game!

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 2

Just now, MrChickenz said:

I like it! At first I didn’t think it was any good. The controls are kinda backwards from other boxing games. It’s really only the fire button, instead of mashing the fire button to throw punches you simply hold down the fire button and move the directional pad or joystick for the swing. To block let go of the fire button and move the directional pad or joystick. Once I figure this out it is really good 7800 boxing game!

so backwards controls, that would be a challenge to know how to play it right - I'll have see if any vendors that attend CCAG has a copy so I can get it and try it out

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Maybe @MrChickenz can tell more.

I would say it is much better than the most reviews. I once bought it because I liked it very much from two player games on my C64.

Did not play it the last 15 years, just checked if it dumps and starts on the 2600+.

Will play it again soon, hopefully when a friend comes by, I remember two player was more fun. We'll see😊

The C64 is what I first had it for also. When I purchased years later for the 7800 I forgot how to play it. Once I remembered it was just as good as the C 64 version 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Robotron 2084, Commando, Xevious, Crystal Quest, BnQ, Scramble, Galaga, Froggie, Popeye, Plutos (two player) are currently maybe my favorites.

Ninja Golf, Food Fight, Choplifter, Pole Position 2, Frenzy, Asteroids Deluxe, Beef Drop, Pac Man Collection, Midnight Mutants, Beef Drop, Dark Chambers, Ikari Warriors, Basketbrawl, Centipede, Dark Chambers, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong,... all good games🤙

Edit: Hat Trick is a good two player game, even the reviews are not good.

I am waiting for T:me Salvo and Knight Guy in Low Res World.

Will preorder A.R.T.I and EXO🤙

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 2/4/2024 at 1:52 PM, shane857 said:

The Atari 7800 didn't have a vast amount of games. What is everybody playing on the 2600+ ? Original games and homebrew 🤔

i dont have that much 7800 stuff physically unfortunately, but the stuff i have played below are the ones i see a lot of potential in (non homebrew)

• Commando
  • Ball Blazer
  • Ikari Warriors
  • Water Ski
  • Alien Brigade
  • Fatal Run (i own this one)
  • Galaga
  • Choplifter
  • Dark Chambers

and my least favorite ones were

• Karateka (Prefer the Famicom version, It's a shame because this game is good, but here its like a fumblecore game.)
  • Kung-Fu Master (i feel like this is a controversial opinion, but its just the 2600 version but it looks nicer, which was fine for a 1 button console, but no jump kicks on 7800? this is NEXT GEN)

But no lie, this platform is probably going to be as big for homebrew/aftermarket as Game Boy someday, with the right moves, i got faith.

Edited by Maztr_0n
  • Like 2

On 2/10/2024 at 10:56 PM, Giles N said:

-F 18 Hornet (its a simulator, your fighter plane have weight, like in real life - get over it, and have a semi-polygonal 3D environment which is highly iinteractive).  7/10

i was fucking FLOORED the first time i saw that game...

keep in mind, 3D games had been like... the first games i ever played... showing my age but... Seeing an 80's console do THAT??? I swear Genesis ports of LHX didnt run that smooth with 3D, or even GBA games. Almost makes me wanna see a take of Blue Lightning on the 7800 with that tech, its soooo gooood.

2 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

FLOORED the first time i saw that game

(…)

3D games had been like... the first games i ever played

(…)

Seeing an 80's console do THAT??? (…) 

makes me wanna see a take of Blue Lightning on the 7800

Yes, - my first 7800 was a PAL unit, running everything on 50 fps, and some titles were hard to find on ebay, but seeing this very impressive 8-bit (semi-)polygon(al) landscape, with its very sophistacated, simulator-like contents intersped with some straightforward action - shoot, didge and do stunt-maneuvers to gain rank, - together with the generally higher and smoother framerate on all titles, made me import an NTSC 7800 unit, hooking it up to my ntsc CRT usually in use for my 5200 (my first Atari console as adult retro-collector).

Should I have given it more than 7/10?

Perhaps. I’m inclined to give it a full 8/10, given its obviously an early simulator.

But the lack of machine-gun or different missiles, and some enemy planes doing other things than coming straight at you, makes space for improvement.

It is a very impressive early Fighter plane simulator. 
I do not think neither the NES nor the Sega Master have anything similar.

F 14 Tomcat (for the 7800) have better cockpit-options, and a tilting horizon, but there are no ground details at all (to speak of).

12 hours ago, Giles N said:

Yes, - my first 7800 was a PAL unit, running everything on 50 fps, and some titles were hard to find on ebay, but seeing this very impressive 8-bit (semi-)polygon(al) landscape, with its very sophistacated, simulator-like contents intersped with some straightforward action - shoot, didge and do stunt-maneuvers to gain rank, - together with the generally higher and smoother framerate on all titles, made me import an NTSC 7800 unit, hooking it up to my ntsc CRT usually in use for my 5200 (my first Atari console as adult retro-collector).

Should I have given it more than 7/10?

Perhaps. I’m inclined to give it a full 8/10, given its obviously an early simulator.

But the lack of machine-gun or different missiles, and some enemy planes doing other things than coming straight at you, makes space for improvement.

It is a very impressive early Fighter plane simulator. 
I do not think neither the NES nor the Sega Master have anything similar.

F 14 Tomcat (for the 7800) have better cockpit-options, and a tilting horizon, but there are no ground details at all (to speak of).

i'm just saying, that engine... THAT ENGINE... You ever played Falcon for the Turbografx-16? Looks about the same and yet it runs at 2 frames per second at most...

It outclasses Flight Sim II (in the XEGS commercial at least) in terms of performance, and it looks better too, If those fellas worked on more stuff for 7800, perhaps it would've had many next-gen esque pseudo 3d-titles that are only really rivaled by the best of Genesis and especially Super Nintendo.

To be able to freely fly in that smooth "3-D" world...

Also  since Vic-20 doom exists, feel like whatever engine they used for F-18 would be the way to put Doom on 7800. /joke

On 7/3/2024 at 2:52 PM, MrChickenz said:

IMG_1017.jpeg

IMG_1014.png

IMG_1011.png

IMG_1012.jpeg

Errrm. For certain values of "good" I guess. 

It's no Mike Tyson's Punch out that's for sure. 

• Haha 1

Just now, tradyblix said:

Yikes lol 

its kinda standard for 80's-90's boxing games to be culturally insensitive

also i played it and i dont know how to get my guy to stop covering his face and stopping the other guy from punching you in the dick.
I dont remember that from any matches...

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Maztr_0n said:

its kinda standard for 80's-90's boxing games to be culturally insensitive

What! Are you even talking about! It’s a boxing game! Hellllllooooooo!

There is nothing insensitive about boxing, they beat the crap out of one another! lol

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

What! Are you even talking about! It’s a boxing game! Hellllllooooooo!

was that the questionable thing? I mean c'mon is a joke about boxing games that arent simulators having stereotype characters. Ya know, except for like the final guy who is a stereotype of a famous boxer! :)

not the whole thing about this game feeling like some kind of Virtual BME Pain Olympics as i'm just punched below the belt all the time if you dont get the reference dont look it up i think the closest i got to hitting the dude was wiggling the dpad up and down while mashing the button hoping my guy stops covering his face in shame for 2 seconds but i could never tell when that did anything.

Maybe this is a RTFM game but idk if i have time for that, i wanna punch some people not READ! more power to ya tho.

Edited by Maztr_0n
  • Haha 1