IGNORED

Atari XF551 floppy driver / power switch

Hopefully final update coming:

I have been able to do successful preliminary tests on the latest production ready pcbs.  I want to do a few more intensive tests over the next day or two, but severe weather is moving in and I have to shut down my electronics.  I plan to have a final proof of function Youtube video posted as well in the next day or so.  Corrected gerbers, schematic and BOM should be up late Monday if all goes well. 

• Like 3

Okay, I think I can finally put this issue to bed.

It's redone and functioning as intended.  Here's the latest version of the XF551_B mainboard now at v7.  This version uses a more modern AC to DC power supply conversion.  You can still use the normal  Atari 1050/XF551 AC power brick.  This board also has builtin ability to have a 2in1 BIOS jumper or optional front control BIOS switcher.  You also have the optional front control reset and drive id switcher, and a dual digit track display option.  It allows you a little more flexibility in the use of power switch, (original or more modern).  You will still need the legacy Intel 8040/8050 CPU, WD1772PH(VL1772) Disk Controller, at least a 2764 Eprom for the BIOS and the 8.333 MHZ OSC or equivalent circuit.  You should be able to reuse the edge card connector cable from an original XF551 board.  See the BOM on my website for details.

Here's the final pcb picture.

Z50_0256.thumb.JPG.b1ac49e8ed476c1019a6aca2233ad692.JPG

One little tip I found out is if you want to use the optional front control board, make sure the FFC cable you get is not bent.  Apparently the one I got from Mouser had been folded back at some point and the wires inside were broken.  As a result my first test found that the drive id switch would not function correctly until I replaced the cable with a shorter one I had in my parts bin. 

Z50_0257.thumb.JPG.ffe57888e51e9b40f1cac5bb7f543d5e.JPG

The files should be up on my site in a little while.  In the meantime I've produced a Youtube video showing corrected functioning.   XF551_B v7.0 working now

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great to see it's working so nicely !

very worried about the static hum bars travelling up the screen on your setup. Ground loop, shield, power, cabling, something in the setup is making it's plight known.

Nice to see it all in action and you've started putting it through it's paces.

7 hours ago, Dropcheck said:

Okay, I think I can finally put this issue to bed.

It's redone and functioning as intended.  Here's the latest version of the XF551_B mainboard now at v7.  This version uses a more modern AC to DC power supply conversion.  You can still use the normal  Atari 1050/XF551 AC power brick.  This board also has builtin ability to have a 2in1 BIOS jumper or optional front control BIOS switcher.  You also have the optional front control reset and drive id switcher, and a dual digit track display option.  It allows you a little more flexibility in the use of power switch, (original or more modern).  You will still need the legacy Intel 8040/8050 CPU, WD1772PH(VL1772) Disk Controller, at least a 2764 Eprom for the BIOS and the 8.333 MHZ OSC or equivalent circuit.  You should be able to reuse the edge card connector cable from an original XF551 board.  See the BOM on my website for details.

Here's the final pcb picture.

Z50_0256.thumb.JPG.b1ac49e8ed476c1019a6aca2233ad692.JPG

One little tip I found out is if you want to use the optional front control board, make sure the FFC cable you get is not bent.  Apparently the one I got from Mouser had been folded back at some point and the wires inside were broken.  As a result my first test found that the drive id switch would not function correctly until I replaced the cable with a shorter one I had in my parts bin. 

Z50_0257.thumb.JPG.ffe57888e51e9b40f1cac5bb7f543d5e.JPG

The files should be up on my site in a little while.  In the meantime I've produced a Youtube video showing corrected functioning.   XF551_B v7.0 working now

Fantastic!