IGNORED

Personal favorite controller?

Let's dive into the world of controller comfort! What's your go-to choice for ergonomic bliss?

my top picks, categorized by usage:

Best 2D controller: Sega Saturn model II
Best 3D controller: Nintendo GameCube
Best arcade-style controller: Vectrex

I find that many modern controllers don't quite fit my hands comfortably. Could it be the small buttons or the overwhelming amount of buttons? Also, those analog thumbsticks often feel too mushy and roundish (if that makes any sense) for my liking. Speaking of many buttons, I do appreciate the design of the Atari Jaguar controller. Despite the numpad, they are carefully positioned at the bottom of the controller and work perfectly with overlays.

Anyone else feel the same way?

I like XBOX controllers. My favorite of all of them is the XBOX One controller. I have large hands and it's nearly perfect for me. The thing that keeps the XBOX Series controllers from being my favorite is the fact that they changed to a D-Pad with a loud click. I find that annoying, especially when I need to hit the D-Pad a bunch of times in a row in a game. The XBOX One controller doesn't have that.

• Like 1

I am generally a stickler for using first-party controllers for the appropriate system they were designed for (i.e., I'll use a Game Cube controller with Game Cube games, a Dreamcast one for Dreamcast games, a NES one on the NES, etc). It's all a part of the feel and experience with a particular platform.

Don't get me wrong, there have been a few exceptions for me over the years. For instance, I'll use a Genesis pad with Master System games (the SMS controller's d-pad is pretty inaccurate and so it's too easy to do accidental diagonals), a SNES controller on the CD-i with an adapter (the "official" pad is basically a Gravis rebrand, which is OK, but not great), a Genesis controller on a 2600 (the CX-40 is classic, but is too stiff and painful for me to use these days), etc.

If I had to pick a favorite "2D controller" in general, I would definitely go with the Saturn's Model 2 controller. It's a great "general use" controller for platforms like the MiSTer where I'm playing multiple systems back to back, especially ones with arcade-oriented games. It's comfortable, feels satisfying to use and it has a great, precise d-pad. However, like I said above, I won't use it as a replacement for everything. For instance, I need a NES OEM pad for NES games. Its somewhat recessed and concave buttons allow for insane button mashing and precision that I just need on those games. A second favorite would be the PS1 OEM pad (no analogue sticks). It's also a great multi-purpose controller with platfforms like the MiSTer, but is similarly responsive like the NES and SNES pads (they were manufactured by the same company).

For a "3D controller", I would probably go with the Xbox Series controller. It's basically a Xbox One pad (same super smooth analogue sticks), but that new directional pad is pretty solid, comfortable and accurate. I'd probably have picked the PS5 Dual Sense or the PS4 Dual Shock 4, but the Dual Sense is pretty bulky and I've always preferred the staggered thumbstick layout (along with concave thumb caps) of the Xbox setup. My thumbs constantly slip off or hit each other when I use PS sticks (especially with twin-stick shooters).

Regarding the Jaguar pad as it was mentioned, I agree that it is actually pretty ergonomic and comfortable. It gets a bad rep but unfairly so in my opinion. I do wish the d-pad was snappier and less mushy, but the main buttons are fine and the controller itself is comfortable to hold.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

Best 2D controller: Sega Saturn model II (I agree with the OP's pick, there)
Best 3D controller: Eh... the PS5 DS is probably the best of them to me, but since we're talking Ergonomics here -- the XBox Series Controller
Best arcade-style controller: Afterburner -- That flight stick and throttle setup was just perfect to me.   If you mean for home use -- Hori Real Arcade Pro EX

The best 2D controller that I have ever used is actually for the PC, the Gravis Gamepad. The D-pad is out of this world from feel to precision. You could also screw a cute tiny joystick to the center but I didn't use it. I played NES and Genesis games through emulation with it. With only 4 buttons though, it wasn't suited to SNES. 

Gravis_Gamepad_(cropped).thumb.jpg.e237d3860ac37858c06d6a4fedbb652b.jpg

For 3D, the Gamecube controller is the winner. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The best 2D controller to me ever since it arrived is still the SNES controller, and it's direct PC derivative of sorts, the post above, the Gravis PC Gamepad.  They're rock solid, comfy, get the job done.  Not too many buttons and not too few buttons.  I'd throw a nod (since I still have one) to the PRO version of the Gravis pad up there, it adds the L/R buttons up top but also grips much like an original pre-joystick PS1 controller had and both had the nice optional screw in joystick for games that benefit it.

That said, these days largely if it's the modern controller it's a toss up really with the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller as it's just perfect for control, comfort, insanity level battery life given... and then the xbox360 style controller that's wired USB for computer which I use for my modern gaming now outside of Nintendo.

If PCs (grr MS) were more friendly towards them when using Steam/GoG like stuff I'd just get a wired 3rd party licensed (Nintendo) Pro Controller USB device instead but it's not worth the annoyance as the xbox d-pad isn't the best...none of them are on 3d controllers outside of Nintendo's patented quality d-pad except for the 8bitdo SN30 wired SNES pad with its dual analogs.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 10:37 PM, Tanooki said:

That said, these days largely if it's the modern controller it's a toss up really with the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller as it's just perfect for control, comfort, insanity level battery life given... and then the xbox360 style controller that's wired USB for computer which I use for my modern gaming now outside of Nintendo.

If PCs (grr MS) were more friendly towards them when using Steam/GoG like stuff I'd just get a wired 3rd party licensed (Nintendo) Pro Controller USB device instead but it's not worth the annoyance as the xbox d-pad isn't the best...none of them are on 3d controllers outside of Nintendo's patented quality d-pad except for the 8bitdo SN30 wired SNES pad with its dual analogs.

What issues do you have with trying to use them in Windows? I ask because I have a Rock Candy Switch Pro style wired controller hooked up to my PC right now. Not only does Windows 11 correctly identify it as a Switch Pro controller, but Steam does too. I can even force games on Steam to use the Switch style button layout, so that pressing A, B, X, Y do what they should. I just played a little GTAV with it as a proof of concept, it works great. I haven't tested any GOG games, but as long as the game "finds" the controller, it should be possible to remap it.

EDIT: OK, outside of Steam, I can see where there are some issues. Flatout 2, which I downloaded the offline installer for from GOG, finds the Rock Candy controller just fine, but it won't accept inputs from it. I'm downloading Lego Batman right now to see if it has the same or similar issues.

Edited by scifidude79
  • Like 1

I'm very picky when it comes to controllers, though I like most of the stock controllers that came with the systems back in the day.  I would rate the SFC controller, MD (6-button) controller, and Saturn (JP) controller as basically the best of the best overall.  I also like the N64 controller (it even has a decent dpad).  For more modern controllers, I think Sony finally got it right with the Dual Shock 4, which feels great to hold, has decent analog sticks, and has an excellent dpad (much better than their previous controllers).  The XBOX Series X/S controller is alright; it's definitely the best controller from MS, with a surprisingly pretty decent dpad, but I would prefer if the dpad was level with the buttons, like with the Sony controllers.

For after-market controllers, there isn't much I like.  I found most of 8bitdo's controller to be unusable for anything requiring accurate dpad control, with the only exception being the M30, which is among my favorite controllers of all time.  Having said that, the M30 does suffer when playing fighting games, with "charge" moves being extremely frustrating to pull off.  Krikzz's Joyzz controller is excellent, nearly equal to the original MD 6-button controller, but you're limited to using it with a Genesis or Mega Drive console, only.

19 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

What issues do you have with trying to use them in Windows? I ask because I have a Rock Candy Switch Pro style wired controller hooked up to my PC right now. Not only does Windows 11 correctly identify it as a Switch Pro controller, but Steam does too. I can even force games on Steam to use the Switch style button layout, so that pressing A, B, X, Y do what they should. I just played a little GTAV with it as a proof of concept, it works great. I haven't tested any GOG games, but as long as the game "finds" the controller, it should be possible to remap it.

EDIT: OK, outside of Steam, I can see where there are some issues. Flatout 2, which I downloaded the offline installer for from GOG, finds the Rock Candy controller just fine, but it won't accept inputs from it. I'm downloading Lego Batman right now to see if it has the same or similar issues.

My testing of the Rock Candy Switch controller in Lego Batman, which I installed from GOG, went just as well as the Flatout 2 test did. Lego Batman completely ignored the controller's existence.

However, the 8BitDo SN30 Pro wired controller works like a dream in Windows. Though, to be fair, I knew it would because I bought it to use with a PC before I even owned a Switch. 8BitDo designed the controller to be compatible with Xinput, so Windows just recognizes it as a generic Xinput controller. Games recognize it as an Xbox controller, as does Steam. I was able to use it in GTAV (I use that as test because it uses all of the buttons, both sticks and the D-pad) with the Switch layout after I activated the Nintendo layout in the options and told Steam to use Steam Input for Xbox controllers. Both Flatout 2 and Lego Batman installed from GOG recognized the controller. Flatout 2 had some weird mapping, but I could have fixed that. Lego Batman basically had Xbox mapping, though I of course could have reassigned the controls so that the on screen prompts were correct.

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2024 at 8:23 AM, scifidude79 said:

I like XBOX controllers. My favorite of all of them is the XBOX One controller. I have large hands and it's nearly perfect for me. The thing that keeps the XBOX Series controllers from being my favorite is the fact that they changed to a D-Pad with a loud click. I find that annoying, especially when I need to hit the D-Pad a bunch of times in a row in a game. The XBOX One controller doesn't have that.

yeah I with you on the Xbox for modern controllers, just got my son the Elite Series 2 Pro controller,  Holy Crap that thing is wonderful,     love their dpads and I hope they never stop making them with swappable batteries.  

Edited by BillDMatt

My current fave for modern gaming is a Gulikit KingKong 2 Pro--but a coworker let me handle the KingKong 3 Max, and I'll be switching to them in the next few months for the option for increased trigger throw. This is my choice on PC, switch and the MiSTer cores that benefit from analog sticks. Its tiny analog deadzone is incredibly refreshing, and I can't go back to Alps sticks after that.

For arcade sticks, my favorite is my MAS Prostick, and I build tons of adapters to use it on other systems. Not too many options for american style arcade sticks, and neo geo controllers adapt easily&laglessly. I may someday need more buttons and start building adapters for MAS Supernova 25-pin controllers, but I don't care that much for street fighter, and have a few other options on the days I do.

For pre-crash, I go for the Epyx 500xj/Konix Speedking for it's precise, microswitched stick, and its attempt at ergonomics. The NES version pairs especially well with NT Mini, especially the Atari 7800 core (which never got a 500xj variant of its own).

Saturn batwing and Neo Geo gamepads are up there, especially back in the day these would have topped my list. but even owning modern/wireless equivalents, I find myself reaching for an 8bitdo M30 over both--which surprises me. This is generally my first choice for MiSTer use, because it's got enough buttons in the right places to do a lot of things. If I spend more than a day or two with a core, I'll generally switch to something more nostalgic, but the M30 is good at many tasks. In theory I should be grabbing the retro bit wireless batwing, but I just don't.

SDoixfc.jpg

Edited by Reaperman

For 3D games, I recently got the Gulikit KK3 Max, and that's my favourite. Fits my hands like a glove, soft but precise d-pad, and the rear paddles are really great. I only wish it worked on PS5. The PS5 controller is the best controller Sony's made, and I still don't like it that much.

For 2D, SNES or Sega Saturn, leaning more toward Saturn these days.

• Like 1