IGNORED

Development environment

My apologies if this has been covered before - I have a neat idea for a game that is certainly within my abilities to create.  I'm hardly a programmer, and I'm a dinosaur (I'm out of the loop, my professional career is Marketing), hence the ask.

Is there a simple Windows-based development environment that I can use to code / run / test programs for the A8 line?  I'd like to do this program in Atari BASIC, and typing / testing / saving on a real A8 - or even an emulator - is tedious.

I'm pretty sure tools exist, but I'm a real thickhead - I need a lot of hand holding to understand what is needed as I'm only somewhat technical.  Any guidance would be appreciated - I keep trying to come back to this, then get discouraged, but I think this time I can pull this off.

Thanks!

Not sure about a BASIC environment outside of the emulators, but other languages are catered for, Assembler

has several for example MADS, also ca65, there is also Pascal and C.

All the above still need to run in an emulator, but the environment can be set to launch the emulator to

run your code. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, popmilo said:

"8Bitworkshop" got much much better recently, has huge choice of platforms to develop for, examples and built in emulator. And all that in a browser, so no install needed:

https://8bitworkshop.com/v3.11.0/?platform=atari8-800&file=joyas.bas

Looks interesting.  I've been primarily trying with Notepad, but I don't know if there's a copy / paste command for Altirra.  At least that lets me code / debug but it's not as easy as an IDE.

1 hour ago, rdefabri said:

but I don't know if there's a copy / paste command for Altirra.

Yes there is, you can copy in notepad and paste into the Altirra screen.

If you want to do the reverse, under View dropdown, select Printer Output and a window will appear, now

any output sent to the printer will appear here.

Highlight any text in that window and press CTRL-C to copy the text, then paste into a text editor in Windows.

A better editor is Notepad++ or even Programmers Notepad

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TGB1718 said:

Yes there is, you can copy in notepad and paste into the Altirra screen.

If you want to do the reverse, under View dropdown, select Printer Output and a window will appear, now

any output sent to the printer will appear here.

Highlight any text in that window and press CTRL-C to copy the text, then paste into a text editor in Windows.

A better editor is Notepad++ or even Programmers Notepad

This helps quite a bit - thank you!