IGNORED

BattleBots (Gamecube, Unreleased c. 2003) Alpha 4.6 prototype on Internet Archive

Radio F Software

Download link: https://archive.org/details/battlebots-gc-prototype

Back on Christmas 2021 I tempted fate and hosted an hours-long livestream of this unreleased game on my Twitch channel. I'd had a copy of it for a couple of years up to that point but was unsure what to do with it over legal concerns I had regarding releasing it. Naturally this attracted a lot of attention in my direction and when nobody sent their legal team after me for doing a no-no I figured I was in the clear. I reached out to the founders of the BattleBots company (again) and said I'd procured a copy of the game prototype. I asked if I could just go ahead and post it online for people to play. I was informed that as long as no money was exchanging hands in the process they were finally okay with this prototype being out there. Prior to releasing this prototype the game had only been spotted in a select few places: a demo was playable at the taping of Comedy Central's final season of the show in 2003, and competitor Donald Hutson brought with him his copy of the prototype and a Gamecube dev kit to the taping of the 2015 season of the show and let people play it there.

When the prototype was posted to Internet Archive I also posted an entry to my BattleBots blog about my thoughts and history with the game and the process of obtaining and ultimately posting it.

This is old news but I'm sharing it here for posterity since this is the appropriate forum for it and AtariAge is one of the few places online where people hunt for protos with sincere intentions.