IGNORED

tank command, winter games and xenophobe

Belgarath

just wonderin why the 3 requested atari 7800

games (tank command, winter games and xenophobe) aren't on the site yet seeing as they've been dumped and out there for a while now. i couldn't get winter games and xenophobe to work on mess but tank command did.

Wow! that game looks pretty good, at least as good graphically as Ikari or Commando! I really, really need this game! How does it play? Although I NEED the cartridge itself for my ACTUAL 7800. Sorry, I just hate emulators, I guess they're better than nothing, but if I have the system, or can get it inexpensively, I'll go with the real thing any day!

well i certaintly agree that no matter how good an emulator has been coded it can never ever beat the real thing. but like you also said havin summat emulated is better than nowt!

as for how tank command plays, i didnt really have much of a go, but yeh it totally reminded me of ikari warriors

OK, I took a look around and found the ROM's.

Xenophobe and Winter Games are identical to the versions I dumped and formated awhile ago. Winter Games has such corrupted graphics it's not worth bothering with it. Xenophobe will come up with the title screen fine but has corrupted graphics once you start the game and will quickly hang.

Tank Command is a little different, it's working but it's a hacked incomplete version similar to the incomplete Water Ski that's floating around the net. If you want to try it, I have uploaded it to my site. You can get it from here: http://members.aol.com/~Atari7800games/emulation.htm/ . Since the hacked Water Ski resets after you finish the first level, I wouldn't be suprised if this version of Tank Command does the same thing. I haven't played it far enough yet to find out.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

well i'm sure you know your stuff, but what makes you think its a hacked incomplete version? i say this because it's identified as a 100% verified good dump and cowering (author of the good tools) doesn't mark them as such unless he's absolutely sure.

i tried playing it several times to see if it would reset after level 1 but i kept dying and couldn't get that far

what makes you think its a hacked incomplete version? i say this because it's identified as a 100% verified good dump and cowering (author of the good tools) doesn't mark them as such unless he's absolutely sure.

The full version of Tank Command is 64k, if you check the A78 version you wil find that it is only 32k.

None of the 64k 7800 games work on MESS. Tank Command and Water Ski were both hacked down to 32k. F-18 was hacked down to 48k. RS Baseball is the only complete one because it was doubled to 128k to get it to work. Tower Toppler doesn't work at all.

Cowering marks the dumps as good if they work at all in the emulator. As you mentioned Winter Games and Xenophobe are unplayable but they are still listed as "good" dumps.

For what it's worth, I'm the one that sent them to Cowering.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

I still don't have Winter Games and Xenophobe. If someone can tell me where to grab them or send them to me, I'll add them.

My understanding is that these dumps are okay, but the emu does not support them? If that's the case, I'd like to add them so that perhaps some emu developer may make use of them.

Are you stating you have Rampage and Double Dragon then?

You only listed Xeno and Winter games.

I can dump Xeno, Rampage, Tower Toppler, Doubledragon and umm...Well..I guess that's it.

But they would be raw dumps and I am not sure on how the headers for Mess are done still.

But I am more than happy to provide you with raw dumps.

Let me know.

Crossbow,

Belgarath just sent me Xenophobe and Winter Games, but I still need any others that aren't on our site already. So Rampage, Double Dragon, and Tower Toppler are still needed. Even if they don't work, we'll add them and maybe someone else can tinker with the functionality.

Thanks again!

Okay Alex,

I will hook up the the com cable up tonight..and get those dumped for you.

Again they will be raw dumps and would normally requie a header in them to tell mess how to use them.

But as you stated...those can at least be made avail for others to do that with.

It's possible you did. We get a lot of email and since we do all this in our spare time outside of our jobs and personal lives, sometimes it piles up and things slip by. If you think we've missed something that you've sent us (given a couple weeks), you are welcome to send it again to remind us. I know I need to go through 30 or so back emails this weekend and make small changes here and there. Ack!