IGNORED

What Atari 2600/7800 game have you been playing the most today?

shane857

On 8/30/2024 at 10:47 AM, shane857 said:

I would like to get a copy of Gyruss. That is probably the best music I've heard on a 2600 game.

It's worth it. you should. I don't know if you guys ever saw macross or robotech, when you were kids, but the entire thing of like flying back from neptune to earth kinda reminds me of what the macross spaceship, the SDF-1 had to do. That's what I imagine myself doing every time i'm playing this game anyway. 

Now, this is a game that I feel it's somewhat overlooked in the modern era that was quite ahead of its time, and I actually never played it when it was on the NES, but it was one of those games that I wanted, I just couldn't afford it, or we could never find it or something.

I could see this being a really good candidate for a 7800+ game. with pokey sound and enhanced gameplay.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

It's worth it. you should. I don't know if you guys ever saw macross or robotech, when you were kids, but the entire thing of like flying back from neptune to earth kinda reminds me of what the macross spaceship, the SDF-1 had to do. That's what I imagine myself doing every time i'm playing this game anyway. 

Now, this is a game that I feel it's somewhat overlooked in the modern era that was quite ahead of its time, and I actually never played it when it was on the NES, but it was one of those games that I wanted, I just couldn't afford it, or we could never find it or something.

I could see this being a really good candidate for a 7800+ game. with pokey sound and enhanced gameplay.

ngl first time seeing gyruss made me go.

"oh thats the game you can play in GTA: San Andreas but on Atari! Oh, so thats what it was based on. What was that other one based on then?" :D

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

Ok, the graphics are basic. The fact it even has the theme music playing in the background amazes me.

Looks like a solid port. One on my 2600 wishlist anyway..

• Like 2

21 hours ago, shane857 said:

Ok, the graphics are basic. The fact it even has the theme music playing in the background amazes me.

Looks like a solid port. One on my 2600 wishlist anyway..

Yeah, the graphics are just you know. Differently colored Squares and triangles. But like most 2600 games, it's all about the gameplay.

Considering it is designed for a system with 128 bytes of ram, and 4k of storage, Which you can't even store an empty word document in today, it's kind of amazing.

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 4

Ok, so don't laugh...

Nah.  Laugh.  I'm thick-skinned.

Math Gran Prix and Hangman!!!

Yes, they are a child's game, but being that I am mid-50s, I LOVE a brain game.  It helps to keep the brain sharp.

I didn't own these when I was a teen, but now, these are fun as heck!  I'm looking waaaaay forward, and these two games definitely offer the mental stimulation I adore.  All I can say is to try them.  They ARE fun!!!!

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Ripweade said:

Ok, so don't laugh...

Nah.  Laugh.  I'm thick-skinned.

Math Gran Prix and Hangman!!!

Yes, they are a child's game, but being that I am mid-50s, I LOVE a brain game.  It helps to keep the brain sharp.

I didn't own these when I was a teen, but now, these are fun as heck!  I'm looking waaaaay forward, and these two games definitely offer the mental stimulation I adore.  All I can say is to try them.  They ARE fun!!!!

I was actually thinking about picking up a CIB copy of Hangman the other day. The graphics look a little too simplistic thou..

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, shane857 said:

I was actually thinking about picking up a CIB copy of Hangman the other day. The graphics look a little too simplistic thou..

Much to my surprise, I actually enjoy playing Hangman, especially when I have company over and we all work together to guess the word. But yeah, the graphics are so primitive that it is almost humorous. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Hang man is good!

Never tried Math Grand Prix but the thought crossed my mind a few times. 😄

Hang man is good! It must be, it got my non gamer Mrs playing and not wanting to stop!

It's def more fun with others,  although I suppose most games are.

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 4

IMG_1733.thumb.jpeg.8d4fa6897e88c65a93fb580bc32b0b29.jpegToday I’m playing Dark Chambers 7800, HERO2, Mr. Run and Jump, and Mrs PAC Man. 
I find Mrs. PAC man to be mesmerizing if I play with the difficulty set to just one ghost.  Despite that, I’m on my last life, but I blame that on the fact that I’m setup playing out in the garage today and there is this one fly that I keep having to swat at!IMG_1735.thumb.jpeg.a77c789fb154d0243c8280ade91b5313.jpeg

Edited by Plumbob
Added picture of HERO2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Plumbob said:

IMG_1733.thumb.jpeg.8d4fa6897e88c65a93fb580bc32b0b29.jpegToday I’m playing Dark Chambers 7800, HERO2, Mr. Run and Jump, and Mrs PAC Man. 
I find Mrs. PAC man to be mesmerizing if I play with the difficulty set to just one ghost.  Despite that, I’m on my last life, but I blame that on the fact that I’m setup playing out in the garage today and there is this one fly that I keep having to swat at!IMG_1735.thumb.jpeg.a77c789fb154d0243c8280ade91b5313.jpeg

I so want to get Dark Chambers 7800, even a loose cart. Been playing Dandy and Druid on my ZX Spectrum..

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Kuff Dam said:

Treated myself to Track & Field along with a controller so I've been playing this today. The controller really takes it up a notch, it's far better than using a joystick (and breaking it 😁)

20240902_194324.jpg

20240902_194309.jpg

20240902_194226.jpg

20240902_194201_001.jpg

Actually looks better than Activision's Decathlon.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kuff Dam said:

Treated myself to Track & Field along with a controller so I've been playing this today. The controller really takes it up a notch, it's far better than using a joystick (and breaking it 😁)

20240902_194324.jpg

20240902_194309.jpg

20240902_194226.jpg

20240902_194201_001.jpg

Yeah I agree. Having custom controllers for different games really takes the 2600+ to the next level. 

Only downside is trying to find a way to store them that makes sense. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tradyblix said:

Yeah I agree. Having custom controllers for different games really takes the 2600+ to the next level. 

Only downside is trying to find a way to store them that makes sense. 

The storage thing is a problem. I've got carts, controllers and everything else in plastic boxes but i'm struggling to find a place to store the storage. The wife is not impressed 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Kuff Dam said:

The storage thing is a problem. I've got carts, controllers and everything else in plastic boxes but i'm struggling to find a place to store the storage. The wife is not impressed 😁

Btw, how is that game compared to activisions Decathlon ? you ever played both ? 

16 hours ago, Plumbob said:

While my wife is busy as ever cooking dinner, I’m working up an appetite in the other room playing 7800 Food Fight!

I sure hope your wife isn’t on AtariAge forums or you might be ducking flying frying pans while playing Food Fight! 😆🤣😄

• Haha 3

Tonight, I'm playing a fresh purchase which was delivered today:

Coleco Front Line!

I used to play this game in the arcades when it came out and loved it.  I saw it was on the 2600, so I tried it on my PC with Stella before buying it, and for me, it's a really darn good port.  I do miss the arcade controllers, but for the 2600, I feel that Coleco did an amazing job.

Oddly, I did better on my PC with Stella (and USB Atari repro joystick by Legacy Controllers) than I did on the 2600+.  Looks like a fun night ahead of getting my groove on with this game!

As usual, another fun time thanks to Ben, Plaion, and all involved with this fantastic 2600+!  It has been well worth every penny and then some!

Edited by Ripweade
  • Like 3