IGNORED

7800 Mega Controller Adapter vs. Seagull 78 Controller Adapter

Erzak

I am looking at the 7800 Mega Controller Adapter and the Seagull 78 Controller Adapter.  The Seagull is ~2x the price of the 7800 Mega, and seems to have fewer features/capabilities, or am I missing something?  For the time being, I want it just to enable 2 button use with a Genesis pad.  Eventually I will be getting a multicart of some type, so the 7800 Mega would be extra useful there if I wind up getting the 7800GD, correct?

1 hour ago, Erzak said:

I am looking at the 7800 Mega Controller Adapter and the Seagull 78 Controller Adapter.  The Seagull is ~2x the price of the 7800 Mega, and seems to have fewer features/capabilities, or am I missing something?  For the time being, I want it just to enable 2 button use with a Genesis pad.  Eventually I will be getting a multicart of some type, so the 7800 Mega would be extra useful there if I wind up getting the 7800GD, correct?

Definitely. I have both, and I was happy to be able to use Genesis/Mega Drive controllers with the Seagull 78 adapters for 2 button play in 7800 games before the 7800 Mega existed. The 7800 Mega has extra functions with the 7800 GD, supports more buttons in homebrew games written to take advantage of it, and as I found out recently it also works with 8bitDo's wireless adapter for their M30 controller which doesn't work with the Seagull 78. The Mega 7800 is very highly recommended, I plan to get another for 2 player wireless.

With that said, I have two 7800 consoles and occasionally take them to gaming events to display homebrew titles; probably some new re-releases now too. There'll still be a place for the Seagull 78s in my setup.

On 2/10/2024 at 5:42 PM, nyandeyanen said:

and as I found out recently it also works with 8bitDo's wireless adapter for their M30 controller which doesn't work with the Seagull 78.

FYI - The 2.4ghz wireless adapter for the 8bitdo M30 absolutely does work with the Seagull 78, at least with the newer style release.  I have not been able to try it with the original style Seagull because I broke mine by stepping on it a few years ago but I have two of the newer style and the 2.4ghz M30 works on both.  

4 hours ago, SS said:

FYI - The 2.4ghz wireless adapter for the 8bitdo M30 absolutely does work with the Seagull 78, at least with the newer style release.  I have not been able to try it with the original style Seagull because I broke mine by stepping on it a few years ago but I have two of the newer style and the 2.4ghz M30 works on both.  

That's good news! I have two of the older style Seagull 78s and the M30 (bluetooth) doesn't work with them at all, unless I ended up with a flawed set of Seagull 78s. They're fine with regular Genesis controllers, so they'll still be in use for demos at events as usual. I have a second 7800 Mega (and a second 7800 GD for that matter) on the way, that's probably as much as I'll be able to test.

There may be some interest in another thread surrounding this topic:

In addition to the above, several others have reported success with the Seagull 78 adapter and the Wireless version of the 8BitDo Genesis controller. 

It has been reported the Bluetooth version works as well.  Another report includes even the NES30 Pro working.  8BitDo makes a few Bluetooth receivers.  From the reports, there is at least one that works with the Seagull 78 adapter. 

YMMV, as there have been changes to the 8BitDo line of products, physical and firmware related support updates.

• Like 2

My mileage has varied, I wonder if it's the older versus newer version of the 78? Everything is working with the 7800 Mega either way out of the box (well, ziplock-alike bag.) My second 7800 Mega arrived from the AtariAge store today, so I'm set for 2 player wireless.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried just the 8bitdo Retro Receiver Genesis adapter (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MSWGSJY ) with the Mega 7800? I already have plenty of controllers, I guess the m30 is only a bit more but I just want to have something wireless for my 7800+Mega7800...

I would *assume* it's basically the same as the m30's adapter, but assumptions can be dangerous...

• 2 weeks later...

Will CX40 (and other 2600) sticks and the XEGS light gun also work with either adapter with 7800 games as well as 2600 titles? Normally 2600 controllers will not work with 7800 titles so that’s why I ask.

BTW, for those who might not know I also have a MEGA 7800

Well a CX40 would only have 1 button, which can be used natively on a 7800, to play 1-button 7800 games (not 2 button games, as it doesn't have a 2nd button)...I don't think you would need an adapter for it at all...unless I'm misunderstanding something.    

2 minutes ago, doubledown said:

Well a CX40 would only have 1 button, which can be used natively on a 7800, to play 1-button 7800 games (not 2 button games, as it doesn't have a 2nd button)...I don't think you would need an adapter for it at all...unless I'm misunderstanding something.    

I think it has something to do with the wiring of that fire button on a 2600 stick being that of the second (alternate, “B”) fire button on a 7800 controller and so that’s where a compatibility issue may exist.

Could be possible.  I may have only ever tried a CX40 on 1-button 7800 games (in which case, normally either 7800 button can perform the "1 button's action), and Xevious, which auto detects a 1 button joystick, and shoots and drops bombs simultaneously with the 1 button.  I'd have to try it out tonight to see if a CX40's button acts as the 7800's Left button, or the Right button.  

• Like 2

So just tested...here are the results:

Plugging CX-40 directly into 7800 controller port

The utility cart test program, sees the CX-40's "Fire" button, as the 7800 Left Fire button...obviously no right fire button possible, as the CX-40 only has one button...but this makes multi-cart menu navigation possible

But, when trying to play any 7800 2-button game (I tested Commando and One-On-One) the console sees no button at all...neither the Left or the Right...only joystick movements

When Plugging CX-40 into Mega 7800 Controller Adapter, and it in turn into 7800 controller port

The utility cart test program, sees the CX-40's "Fire" button, as the 7800 Left Fire button...obviously no right fire button possible, as the CX-40 only has one button (same as without)

But now, when trying to play any 7800 2-button game (I tested Command and One-On-One) the console sees the CX-40's "Fire" button, as the 7800 Left Fire button...obviously no right fire button possible, as the CX-40 only has one button

So One-On-One can be played with a CX-40 with this setup, you just can't call a time-out.  Commando can also kind of be played...you just can't throw grenades.

You learn something new every day!

• Like 1