IGNORED

"Fatal error: Device Atari 7800 Cartridge Slot load failed" when trying to build with dasm / 7800asm

l12n

I've been trying to build some 7800 code written in assembly using either dasm or 7800asm (like DLLTemplate, found on this forum). In both cases, running it using a7800 gives me the following error:

OPTIONAL 7800.u7 NOT FOUND (tried in a7800 a7800)
WARNING: the machine might not run correctly.
Fatal error: Device Atari 7800 Cartridge Slot load failed: Unspecified error

But if I try running the binary shipped with the DLLTemplate example it works without a problem. Is there a step I am missing when trying to build a 7800 binary?

Edited by l12n

Did you run the install script?  If you're using windows, run install_win.bat.  It sounds like it doesn't know the path if it can't find a file, and the install script sets the path.

Edit:  I wrote this assuming 7800basic, which it looks like you may not be using.  I completely mis-read your original question, my apologies.

This may be helpful:

Actually I realized that, even when the cartridge loads, I do get the "OPTIONAL 7800.u7 NOT FOUND" error (I tried fixing it, to no avail). So I guess the issue is that the cartridge load fails for an "unspecified" reason.

29 minutes ago, l12n said:

I did see this thread. However, what is puzzling me is that the emulator can run other cartridges, including some that I built using 7800basic or cc7800. Just not the one built straight from assembly.

That gets into territory that's a bit over my head, but someone else here may be able to help.  I suspect your assembled file needs a proper header to work.

• Like 1

Two separate items are present:

14 hours ago, l12n said:
OPTIONAL 7800.u7 NOT FOUND (tried in a7800 a7800)
WARNING: the machine might not run correctly.

The above piece simply means a BIOS file is missing.  No need to worry though, as the A7800 emulator can run ROMs perfectly fine without it (or them).

As for this portion...

14 hours ago, l12n said:
Fatal error: Device Atari 7800 Cartridge Slot load failed: Unspecified error

14 hours ago, Atarius Maximus said:

That gets into territory that's a bit over my head, but someone else here may be able to help.  I suspect your assembled file needs a proper header to work.

Exactly what Atarius Maximus stated.  The ROM you are utilizing does not have a proper header.  Your binary file needs to contain a proper header in *.a78 format.  See the below link for more information:

https://7800.8bitdev.org/index.php/A78_Header_Specification

• Like 2