IGNORED

Death Forest

Death Forest.zip 

Zip file contains EA5 files of game, Fiad file of game and a DSK image of game, also the instructions for play.

Death Forest is a high-score game where the player has to blast monsters and the trees to progress to the next day.  The instructions explain the game.

This game was created in Extended Basic and compiled using Harry's excellent compiler.  Magellan was used for the graphics definitions, classic-99 emulator and js99er were both in turn used during the development of the game.  These are great emulators if you don't already know about them. ;)

Video here:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Just now, sometimes99er said:

Looks like something I've seen before.

I couldn't possibly think which game that is 😄

I did initially abandon this game because I thought at the time it was going to be a bit shit.  But I decided, to pick it up and release it anyway.  Some folks might enjoy it.  You know the type that like to hit themselves repeatedly over the head with hammers.  :P

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Retrospect said:

This game was created in Extended Basic and compiled using Harry's excellent compiler.  Magellan was used for the graphics definitions, classic-99 emulator and js99er were both in turn used during the development of the game.

I am still missing "the TiCodEd editor" in this list .... 

Well, a great game anyhow. I'm always amazed about your sound effects. Can you share some tips how you do them?

Chrome won't let me download the file for security reasons. Did you also implement a TI-Virus ...?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Chrome won't let me download the file for security reasons. Did you also implement a TI-Virus ...?

I had the same problem with Harry's file for XB Gem , the little update he did.  I think this is a chrome issue.

11 minutes ago, SteveB said:

I'm always amazed about your sound effects. Can you share some tips how you do them?

There's nothing much special about the sound really. I usually do it in steps.  Let's say there's a coincidence between missile and enemy, so a variable called "XPLODE" is set to 1, and then another called XPLODT is set to 0 .... in my list of subroutine calls, one of the gosubs looks for XPLODE being set to 1 or not.  If it is 1 , then it branches to code that increments the XPLODT value.  Say from 1 to 5  ... then it's " ON XPLODT GOTO ..... " and each goto contains either a sound value or a volume value, or both.  This is so the sound can be executed whilst the game is doing other things.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Retrospect said:

Death Forest.zip 28.16 kB · 19 downloads  

Zip file contains EA5 files of game, Fiad file of game and a DSK image of game, also the instructions for play.

Death Forest is a high-score game where the player has to blast monsters and the trees to progress to the next day.  The instructions explain the game.

This game was created in Extended Basic and compiled using Harry's excellent compiler.  Magellan was used for the graphics definitions, classic-99 emulator and js99er were both in turn used during the development of the game.  These are great emulators if you don't already know about them. ;)

Video here:

Hmm change name?

Edited by RXB

16 minutes ago, RXB said:

That is a Texas Instruments game Tombstone City renamed to Death Forest.

It's one of my many Tombstone clones.  I wrote it from the ground up though and there's a few differences.  This one is the most like Tombstone in that you have the city for protection, and end up back there if you "die".  Interestingly, someone back in the 1990's actually modified Tombstone City's assembly code to feature a day time and a night time.  Mine are all XB and compiled though. :)

• Like 6

Somewhere on the 9T9 User Group discs is a version of Tombstone City that I added a night mode and also changed the population counter to go down as you shooting and also improved the alogthim of when a monster comes out as the original is too predictable once I figured out the pattern when I was a kid I wanted to improve the game, and TI including the source code was a good way to learn assembly, I also added some changeable game parameters via a XB control program.

• Like 3

A bit more progress before dinner.  Game Over added.  Flashes high score.  Monster death pattern now disappears when player dies to stop it from floating aimlessly through the sequence.  

The monsters do change pattern on each new level but I didn't get past level 1.  

I think I might award an extra life to the player if he/she/them/they does manage to get past the levels.

• Like 8

Made more progress.  It's just about ready now , just needs a manual creating for it and it's good to go.  I thought a month because I thought I might put it down again like I have lots of other projects but I kept going and had a load of spare time yesterday to get this done.  

Now when we shoot all the enemies we go to an end of level boss which is a bouncing ball that shoots at the player.  In this stage the player can only move left and right at the bottom of the screen, space invaders style.  The ball itself can kill the player as can the balls' missiles.  I suppose this is the Bouncing Boss.

Enemy missiles start out slower at the beginning, but with each level passed,  the missile gets faster (up to a point).  The same for the speed of the bouncing boss.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Retrospect said:

Fatto ulteriori progressi. È quasi pronto adesso, necessita solo di una creazione manuale ed è pronto a partire. Ci ho pensato un mese perché pensavo che avrei potuto metterlo di nuovo da parte come ho molti altri progetti, ma ho continuato e ieri ho avuto un sacco di tempo libero per portarlo a termine.  

Ora, quando spariamo a tutti i nemici, arriviamo al boss di fine livello che è una palla rimbalzante che spara al giocatore. In questa fase il giocatore può muoversi solo a sinistra e a destra nella parte inferiore dello schermo, in stile Space Invaders. La palla stessa può uccidere il giocatore così come i missili delle palle. Suppongo che questo sia il Bouncing Boss.

I missili nemici iniziano più lentamente all'inizio, ma con ogni livello superato, il missile diventa più veloce (fino a un certo punto). Lo stesso vale per la velocità del boss che rimbalza.

But it's wonderful Retrospective! the graphic effects are wonderful, the patterns are very intriguing. Being able to play it will definitely be a good show👍🏻 Thanks for this wonder! The wait will be excruciating!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Retrospect said:

Made more progress.  It's just about ready now , just needs a manual creating for it and it's good to go.  I thought a month because I thought I might put it down again like I have lots of other projects but I kept going and had a load of spare time yesterday to get this done.  

Now when we shoot all the enemies we go to an end of level boss which is a bouncing ball that shoots at the player.  In this stage the player can only move left and right at the bottom of the screen, space invaders style.  The ball itself can kill the player as can the balls' missiles.  I suppose this is the Bouncing Boss.

Enemy missiles start out slower at the beginning, but with each level passed,  the missile gets faster (up to a point).  The same for the speed of the bouncing boss.

tenor.gif?itemid=10979102&f=1&nofb=1&ipt

• Thanks 1