IGNORED

Photos on the first PC

vol

22 hours ago, vol said:

It seems that the Amiga was the first PC capable of displaying color photos.  There is an article about this that was recently published.

I would dispute that as people would figured out ways to increase on-screen colors for still images on systems prior to the Amiga and display color photos.  Yes Amiga had HAM modes in hardware, but other computers could pull off similar tricks in software

Atari ST had programs like Spectrum 512 and Photochrome

Review: Spectrum 512 (The Catalog)

It's a bigger struggle on 8-bit systems because of very limited color palettes, but even they've come up with some impressive ways to display color photos in spite of the hw limits

output.png.19c84e29af35ec5bb28a8f57944c4910.png.76614e75e3fc551fe4e35db25c6f82c4.png

RastaConverter on Atari 8-bit

C64 Demoscene Graphics Collage - YouTube

Image from C64

2 hours ago, zzip said:

I would dispute that as people would figured out ways to increase on-screen colors for still images on systems prior to the Amiga and display color photos.  Yes Amiga had HAM modes in hardware, but other computers could pull off similar tricks in software

Atari ST had programs like Spectrum 512 and Photochrome

Review: Spectrum 512 (The Catalog)

It's a bigger struggle on 8-bit systems because of very limited color palettes, but even they've come up with some impressive ways to display color photos in spite of the hw limits

output.png.19c84e29af35ec5bb28a8f57944c4910.png.76614e75e3fc551fe4e35db25c6f82c4.png

RastaConverter on Atari 8-bit

C64 Demoscene Graphics Collage - YouTube

Image from C64

Of course, enthusiasts showed a lot of fantastic images that they could make for their beloved platforms.  Some masterpieces for the Atari 800, Commodore 64, etc can't help but impress very strongly.  However the article is mostly about systems that can show ANY color photo in acceptable quality on their display.  The original Amiga can do this naturally.

Edited by vol

That is interesting, when I first got my Amiga in 1989, it was the first system where I felt that I wasn't limited in any way.  HAM mode images looked really good, although some would suffer because of the technology.  Looking at the comparisons of the various systems, yeah the Amiga was the best.