IGNORED

Projet Bluetooth joysticks on Atari 7800 with ESP32, tested OK.

nobru

Hi,

After my adaptation of the MouSTer on the ATARI 7800 for our wired USB joysticks (PS, xbox, etc.),

I present to you an adaptation of the Blueretro (ESP32) on the ATARI 7800:

1) A SEGA version for the MEGA7800 for one player.

2) An ATARI 7800 version for 2 players (ATARI 800 and 2600 compatible).

My first step was to connect different modern wireless controllers to my A7800 (and also on 800 and 2600) with the addition of button configuration.

The MEGA7800 offer and the 8bitdo receiver (excellent) do not allow you to configure buttons.

While searching the NET, I discovered Blue retro (project by Darthcloud, Jacques Gagnon). See the link: https://hackaday.io/project/170365-blueretro

Extraordinary work allowing the connection of numerous bluetooth controllers on retro consoles with the total configuration of buttons and sticks.

The problem, as usual, is that the Blue retro adapters are not commercially available for ATARI (even less for the A7800). Darthcloud's full project supports the A7800 well but no PCB created for this console.

I ordered a commercial version of Blueretro RetroRosetta ATARI 2Player for testing (1 button or 2 buttons?), test it to follow upon receipt of the product.

Here are now my tests of an ESP32 card with 7800 adaptation for 2 players and another ESP32 card with SEGA Genesis adaptation for the MEGA7800. These two cards allow you to configure all the buttons in Bluetooth.

I reworked the original project schematics to put the ESP32 and external components on the same board. In addition, I replaced the 74HCT125 and 126 (4 ports) with 74HCT244 (8 ports), it is equivalent and allows me to empty my stock of 244 components.

1_mega7800.thumb.jpg.b4ba5fe35004bb6ae03bfc5d0dc1c6c7.jpg

A) 1st Card implemented for the test: the Blueretro Genesis (1P) for MEGA7800

This card works like a SEGA controller, to be plugged only into the MEGA7800 or Genesis/Megadrive console (I have not tested)

Total cost < 20€

ESP32=12€ (amazon), 2x74HCT244=2€(ebay), convert 3V3-5V=1€(amazon), SuB-D-9b=1€(amazon), prototype PCB=1€, LED + resistor=0 .5€, CI Support=2€ and a little wiring and courage…

Attached is the GENESIS adapter diagram (1P) modified for the MEGA7800.

The A, B, C, Start buttons (active on the first try on 8bido SN30+), on PS4 (Z button active) for the GameDrive 7800GD.

For the firmware use universal or Genesis following the blueretro project procedures.

For button configurations, the settings can be done from your phone, see the instructions on the blueretro project.

My opinion: I find the card quite compact (it lacks a beautiful case...), the use is really incredible, perfect.

The controllers connect without problems and react perfectly.

2_mega7800.thumb.jpg.8fea57aeae3c0ff9b7899b8784da9c8d.jpg3_mega7800.thumb.jpg.df754442c97cb0e480105a91cedb5f2a.jpg

B) 2nd Card implemented for the test: the Blueretro ATARI 7800 (2P)

The advantage of this version, no MEGA7800, 2 players via Bluetooth. Possibility of use also on ATARI 8bits (test on ATARI 800, OK on test).

Possibility of use on A2600 (with external USB power supply, disconnected the 5V from the joysticks) (test on 2600, OK on test).

The RB and LB keys are active on the 2 bluetooth controllers with the possibility of automatic fire, multi buttons and multi stick, a real joy.....

Total cost < 30€

ESP32=12€ (amazon), 2x74HCT244=2€(ebay), 2x74HC4053=2€(amazon), 2 SuB-D-9b cables=10€(aliexpress), prototype PCB=1€, LED + resistance=0, 5€, CI Support=2€ and a little cabling and courage…

4_mega7800.thumb.jpg.1d82f71c099245f6636e6b92efe1726f.jpg5_mega7800.thumb.jpg.3b7bc93208f7dc5b3db0b64c776c2ff7.jpg

I still have to wire a presentable prototype card like the MEGA7800 card after receiving my SuB-D 9b cable (aliexpress), I will then post photos and a test of the Blueretro Rosetta ATARI 2P.

Conclusion :

For DIYers, this is a really great project.

It's up to you to create your own PCB and box. The aim of this test was to see the Blueretro working on an ATARI 7800, ATARI 800 and 2600 and more for a little less than 30€.

A donation is possible on the firmware download site to thank the author of the original project.

To be continued

Nobru

BlueRetro-Genesis.pdf BlueRetro-7800andESP.pdf

• Like 5

Continuation of the project,

I quickly received the Blue retro Rosetta ATARI created by Grech Tech.

The product purchased as a KIT contains a small case, an ESP32 card, a small ATARI PCB, 2 9-pin SUB-D cables and some components to solder (ESP32 and 3x74HCT125, resistor, LED).

By analyzing the ATARI PCB, I quickly see that it is not suitable for the A7800 with 2 buttons.

This is compatible with A2600 (1 button) and Sega Master (2 buttons).

So I'm going to wire this KIT and create a small PCB for A7800 (Atari800 and 2600 compatible with USB power supply).

Here are some photos of the blue retro KIT (22€+25€+shipping), prototypes in progress for a7800.

See you soon, now we have to get back to wiring.

6_mega7800.thumb.jpg.1aff25b54334d8d981f6f8e9b8672962.jpg7_mega7800.thumb.jpg.a8a09554c778726468b5942c51538edd.jpg

Nobru

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Continuation of the ESP32 blueretro project for A7800,

1) The Rosetta ATARI/SMS version works well on A7800, Atari8bits and VCS2600 (with external power supply). But only with 1 FIRE button (but 2 players via bluetooth).

2) After creating the A7800 card for Rosetta, it works on all ATARI and with 2 buttons on 7800 (and 2 players via bluetooth). I started manufacturing a daughter card PCB to replace the proto. Plans will follow if OK to test.

8_mega7800.thumb.jpg.694177d10616741823c3125d262d3ec8.jpg

3) Purchase the Blueretro version (aliexpress for 10€), the A7800 cable does not exist. I plan to make a prototype db25 cable and then a small db25 PCB for the 7800. The box is very pretty and the principle of multi-console cable exchange is nice. I ordered a cable for my PS2 for €9 (2 players on bluetooth for €19 is not bad).

BRetro.JPG.5c1c755a8170cf7fc22ca3b3e5e90715.JPG

For information: all these adaptations from the Blueretro to the ATARI 7800 start with the same diagram, only the PCBs and wiring are different depending on the boxes and cables adopted.

Notice :

All these assemblies work wonderfully on the ATARI 7800, A800, VCS2600, ST. Bluetooth controllers are recognized quickly.

My current preference is my first MEGA7800+Gamedrive adapter, as it handles all 6 Sega buttons with perfect button setting.

My 8Bitdo-receiver is good, but the keys are not well positioned and cannot be modified.

For two-person games, the other montages are excellent. They will be installed on my A800, 2600 and ST after these tests, trials and modifications.

I hope that these tests will make you want to go wireless with a real good ergonomic joystick (I tested the Battletron controller from “ACTION” for €15, it is recognized and works well).

20240226_223058.thumb.jpg.86d83468588d3f3dea3c59c4491675cb.jpg

See you for testing the A7800 prototype cable from the blueretro Aliexpress and the Rosetta 7800 PCB plans.

Para2P_PP_rosetta_7800andESP.jpg.c4f72bfdd0b30ce4da2e00c1e3fefd53.jpg

schematics of A7800 rosetta : Para2P_PP_rosetta_7800andESP.pdf

Nobru

20240226_223058.jpg

Edited by nobru
  • Like 3

I've added support for other types of controller adapters to allow BREAK via a button. So on your adapter if you map a button to LEFT+RIGHT (pressed at the same time) and one to UP+DOWN then you will have BREAK and (I think) quick save state.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, SainT said:

I've added support for other types of controller adapters to allow BREAK via a button. So on your adapter if you map a button to LEFT+RIGHT (pressed at the same time) and one to UP+DOWN then you will have BREAK and (I think) quick save state.

Be advised that on Atari systems that combos using Left + Right will confuse the system and make it think there are paddles attached. I ran into this issue with my first modified controller to enable remote pause function as I was using the Left + Right combo and it was causing issues with my Harmony and other games. So I changed it to Up + Down and that hasn't caused any problems for me.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SainT said:

hi,
Indeed, during my configuration tests for my PS4 controller, I discovered that we could configure both left and right sticks for movement.
and I discovered this saving function by manipulating the sticks.
I tested a lot of combos without success apart from this one, because I thought the commands arrived this way.
but looking through the scope I saw that the commands arrived in the video sync pulses on the ports.
for the moment I continue the PCBs of the Rosetta and aliexpress versions between two small 7800 games of course.

Nobru

I’m not quite sure what you mean.

What I’m trying to say is, if LEFT and RIGHT or UP and DOWN are pressed at the same time (which is normally impossible for a controller) when the 7800GD is running then it will act is if the START or Z button has been passed on a Genesis pad connected to the Mega7800.

Functionality has only been recently added for this to the 7800GD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SainT said:

I’m not quite sure what you mean.

What I’m trying to say is, if LEFT and RIGHT or UP and DOWN are pressed at the same time (which is normally impossible for a controller) when the 7800GD is running then it will act is if the START or Z button has been passed on a Genesis pad connected to the Mega7800.

Functionality has only been recently added for this to the 7800GD.

I understood well and I noticed it while doing my tests (because I wanted to add these functions to the buttons without MEGA7800).
This is where I discovered that the MEGA7800 does not send a key combo but pulses to the Atari7800 for the Z, Y, C and break keys).

I'm sorry, but I translate with Google and it's difficult not to make a mistake in the text.

Thanks again for this great 7800GD, I'm starting to use load and save well in games.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SainT said:

if LEFT and RIGHT or UP and DOWN are pressed at the same time (which is normally impossible for a controller) when the 7800GD is running then it will act is if the START or Z button has been passed on a Genesis pad connected to the Mega7800

For what it's worth,

• AtGames Atari Flashback 9/X/50th/12 joysticks set the REWIND button to LEFT+RIGHT+UP, and the SELECT button to LEFT+RIGHT+DOWN;
  • Tim Worthington's 2600RGB extra button for the joystick triggers LEFT+RIGHT, with the extra button + UP pressing SELECT, and the extra button + DOWN pressing RESET.
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2024 at 10:16 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Be advised that on Atari systems that combos using Left + Right will confuse the system and make it think there are paddles attached. I ran into this issue with my first modified controller to enable remote pause function as I was using the Left + Right combo and it was causing issues with my Harmony and other games. So I changed it to Up + Down and that hasn't caused any problems for me.

paddles use Left and Right as buttons, guessing that had something to do with it.

34 minutes ago, ulao said:

paddles use Left and Right as buttons, guessing that had something to do with it.

Yes, I don't recall where but somewhere in these forums I think I mentioned this coming up when I was testing remote pause functionality on the 7800 and again, I was originally using a Left+Right combo to trigger this. But if I happen to press my pause button on a Harmony menu for instance, it would go crazy at that point and was later identified that the combo was apparently triggering the Harmony to think a Paddle controller was plugged in and thus using that mode for navigation. So I've now switched to using an up+dwn combo for both the 7800 and SMS systems. 

I noticed that a pause kit you can buy for the SMS from Consoles Unleashed also has you using the Up+Down combo too. So perhaps there were also issues with some games when using the Left+right method on the SMS?

• Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 4:52 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Yes, I don't recall where but somewhere in these forums I think I mentioned this coming up when I was testing remote pause functionality on the 7800 and again, I was originally using a Left+Right combo to trigger this. But if I happen to press my pause button on a Harmony menu for instance, it would go crazy at that point and was later identified that the combo was apparently triggering the Harmony to think a Paddle controller was plugged in and thus using that mode for navigation. So I've now switched to using an up+dwn combo for both the 7800 and SMS systems. 

I noticed that a pause kit you can buy for the SMS from Consoles Unleashed also has you using the Up+Down combo too. So perhaps there were also issues with some games when using the Left+right method on the SMS?

Hi,
with the ESP32 blueretro, no problem (with the PS4 controller):
it is possible to put:
- the left stick to the left and the right stick to the right for the break function 7800GD
- the left stick at the top and the right stick at the bottom.
To keep the right stick free, it is possible to set the PS key to the right or down key to do the break.
it may be interesting to keep the right stick to put it in stick player 2. 
For Robotron fans this is the ultimate option, the two sticks P1 and P2 next to each other for movement and shooting.

Hi

1) Here are the manufacturing files of the 7800 PCB for Rosetta Blue retro.

cost €1.9 for 5 PCBs + transport: total €10 at JLCPCB.

After assembling the few components (HCT244, CD4053, R620 and connector),

it's perfect, closed case and off you go to play the 7800 wirelessly with a nice configurable controller.

PCBrosettaboxcable.thumb.jpg.7b3810a1838217a3c3979691ef1bfe49.jpg

2) Here are the PCB 7800 files for the Blue retro Ali express in DB25.

I haven't received the PCBs yet.

They are designed to be mounted in a small DB25 box.

This box purchased on Ali express also allows you to recover the DB25 male connector.

The finished assembly should resemble the commercially available db25 PS2 cable.

I will send photos of the finished assembly of this last test.

futurealiexpresspcbanddb25extensionbox.thumb.jpg.73cf159c71e85e6d193dafc42d58f880.jpg

futurePCBaliexpress.thumb.jpg.e8fd481d846269fa1449ea0fc33acd8f.jpgboxDB25.JPG.00253e2cb9d7e69fcd7e1f30ee91f9fb.JPG

Conclusion of the day: with these four different projects, it is possible to find happiness and carry out a beautiful project.

The result is really great and even more so with a 7800GD.

Nobru

Para2P_PP_rosetta_7800.zip Para2P_PP_rosetta_7800andESP.pdf Para2P_PP_aliexpress3_7800.zip Para2P_PP_aliexpress3_7800.pdf

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Did you complete build #2 (w/the PCB's you ordered)? 

I have the BlueRetro w/the Sega Gen cables and I was wondering if this is supposed to work (w/some setting or config) - I was under the impression it would work w/Atari once BRetro came out w/the Sega Gen cables (based on their comments in a thread). 

On 5/15/2024 at 9:33 PM, WOPRpwJOSHUA said:

Did you complete build #2 (w/the PCB's you ordered)? 

I have the BlueRetro w/the Sega Gen cables and I was wondering if this is supposed to work (w/some setting or config) - I was under the impression it would work w/Atari once BRetro came out w/the Sega Gen cables (based on their comments in a thread). 

Hi,
yes, it works with the PCB it fits perfectly in the small db25 box.
the 2 cables can be soldered and it is slightly larger than my PS1 cable. here are some photos of the montage.

20240409_163008.jpg

20240409_175557.jpg

20240409_180055.jpg

20240409_180147.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nobru said:
Hi,
yes, it works with the PCB it fits perfectly in the small db25 box.
the 2 cables can be soldered and it is slightly larger than my PS1 cable. here are some photos of the montage.

20240409_163008.jpg

20240409_175557.jpg

20240409_180055.jpg

20240409_180147.jpg

Ok (and nice job, looks great). I guess BlueRetro decided not to make the sega cable atari-compatible after all. 

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, WOPRpwJOSHUA said:

Ok (and nice job, looks great). I guess BlueRetro decided not to make the sega cable atari-compatible after all. 

Hi,
Blue retro does sell a SEGA/ATARI cable but for SEGA mastersytem and ATARI 2600. It only manages 1 button. 
The adapter for ATARI 7800 is different and was never sold commercially despite the fact that the initial project provided diagrams for the 7800 and its 2 buttons.

Edited by nobru

16 minutes ago, nobru said:
Hi,
Blue retro does sell a SEGA/ATARI cable but for SEGA mastersytem and ATARI 2600. It only manages 1 button. 
The adapter for ATARI 7800 is different and was never sold commercially despite the fact that the initial project provided diagrams for the 7800 and its 2 buttons.

I have the sega(/atari) cable- I must have it in a wrong mode bc plugging in out of the box it sends a repeating button press - I'll need to read over the docs again. Thanks for the info! 

23 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Out of curiosity, how much does that entire setup in the last picture cost you?

Neat project. 👍

Hi,
Blueretro=10€ (aliexpress)
2x74HCT244=2€ (ebay)
2x74HC4053=2€ (amazon)
2 SuB-D-9b cables = 10€ (aliexpress)
5xPCB=2€+7€shipping (JLCPCB)
resistors=0.5€
DB25 box €3 (aliexpress)
It costs around €40 and requires a bit of soldering and wiring.
the cost is reduced if we have a stock of CI or cable.
PCBs are sold per 5 min.
The interest of the project and then be able to configure your favorite wireless controller as you wish.
  • Thanks 2