IGNORED

SCSI is not dead?

Grimm1966

SD2SCSI, RaSCSI, PiSCSI, and BlueSCSI have all been out for some time as brand new SCSI flash storage solutions.  I'm sure there some I've forgotten as well.

Why is this a better SCSI replacement than any of those?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, akator said:

SD2SCSI, RaSCSI, PiSCSI, and BlueSCSI have all been out for some time as brand new SCSI flash storage solutions.  I'm sure there some I've forgotten as well.

I saw this article today pushed to my phone and thought the same thing.

Flash to SCSI solutions have been available for years now. I guess this is special because it comes in a housing and takes CF? 

Doesn't seem like it is groundbreaking, although the article puts it out there that way.

@Grimm1966 not commenting about your post, just confused why Tom's Hardware considered that a news story.  I'm clearly missing something.  Old hardware capable of using SCSI devices isn't even vaguely capable of maxing out the speeds of a decent µSD card, let alone SATA or mSATA or M.2.  If anything, it's kind of a waste of good SSD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akator said:

If anything, it's kind of a waste of good SSD.

Or one of the four 128GB M.2 SSDs which are rotting away on my desk because they are otherwise useless and heading to recycle (actually into my garage to be bludgeoned to death with a hammer as I do not have a practical way to wipe them.)

2 hours ago, akator said:

The 3.5" form-factor manufactured metal enclosure is attractive.  That it can be placed right into a removable bracket and pushed into place (80-pin SCA) is fabulous.  In fact, I know of a server which is now old enough to rent a car which could benefit from this product.  Texas Instruments was buying up Acard SCSI-to-SATA HDD adapters, up until Acard disappeared off the face of the Earth, in quantities of 20s at a time, to upgrade some of its factory equipment.  So, there is a market here, though I do not see it as the "boon for retro computing fans" as TH characterizes it.

• Like 2

Most of the existing solutions are a little bit niche, existing primarily on Github pages and in retro computing shops. This may well be the first time the author has seen such a device in relatively mainstream articles and so has latched onto it because of that.

Also, while some SD cards do support very high speeds, it's only relatively recently that they can be maxed out without paying crazy money, and even then you need to go looking. I've got lots lying around the place, and it's only the most recent two I've bought that exceed the 80MB/s write speed a good SCSI setup is capable of, and even then, while my latest cards (Sandisk Extreme) are listed as 90MB/s write speed, they're also only classed V30, which means they're only guaranteed to sustain 30MB/s on continuous writing. Even Amigas can beat that at 40MB/s with the right upgrades.

Having M.2 support makes sense from what was mentioned there too - plenty of them around as a result of upgrades so it's a nice touch that it supports them too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bent_pin said:

Who gave you the tee shirt concession? That's the sweetest pot!

I also take commissions in used commodore 64s.

Actually, Spring yeeted my store a long time ago because I used the word "Atari" in a description, as in "exclusive for AtariAge members," and its service policy toward its sellers is "go fuck yourself."