IGNORED

TurboForth booting with odd error

Hello All,

So I've just purchased a Ti/99 and being a pretty hardcore programmer I wanted to get started.
I found out that I didn't have (it seems) enough memory to run much with a stock TI so I purchased a 32k memory upgrade from The Brewing Acadamy.
I also purchased a FinalGROM cart to store the TurboForth cart on.

Unfortunately I'm seeing the error below. I do know that on emulator it boots with the TurboForth logo showing.
Also I'd be interested in purchasing a real Forth cart (I saw a few implementations) but I'm not sure if they require additional hardware.
I can only write to tape currently for storage, I'm a bit tapped out for cash after the RAM and FinalGROM upgrades.

I'm a hardcore Lisp fan but Forth sure seems interesting from what I've poked in.

TurboForth.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Pixel_Outlaw said:

Hello All,

So I've just purchased a Ti/99 and being a pretty hardcore programmer I wanted to get started.
I found out that I didn't have (it seems) enough memory to run much with a stock TI so I purchased a 32k memory upgrade from The Brewing Acadamy.
I also purchased a FinalGROM cart to store the TurboForth cart on.

Unfortunately I'm seeing the error below. I do know that on emulator it boots with the TurboForth logo showing.
Also I'd be interested in purchasing a real Forth cart (I saw a few implementations) but I'm not sure if they require additional hardware.
I can only write to tape currently for storage, I'm a bit tapped out for cash after the RAM and FinalGROM upgrades.

I'm a hardcore Lisp fan but Forth sure seems interesting from what I've poked in.

TurboForth.jpg

As far as I know all the Forth systems for TI-99 expect a disk drive.

That was always the classical Forth system back in the early days. 

Forth was the CPU, RAM, I/O devices (terminal) and virtual memory disk system. 

So you can explore a lot of stuff in the kernel, but you can't save anything as far as I know. 

LISP and Forth are similar but Forth is waaaay lower level out of the box. 

However your LISP training of factoring your programs into small functions holds. Actually even more so. 

Forth favours small named routines to simplify stack parameter gyrations. It gets away with that because calling overhead is quite low. 

You will probably use some colourful language in the course of exploring Forth. 

You might find that you begin "backing talkwards". :)

Welcome to the party.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Wycove Forth 2.0 was designed to run from a cassette if necessary, although hard to imagine how useable that would be. An E/A, MiniMemory or Extended Basic module and 32K are also required.

The error in your screenshot is the error TurboForth gives when it can't find a Blocks file. 

Edited by Reciprocating Bill
  • Like 2

Yes I agree TIPI is your best bet since you would need a disc controller card and a floppy drive at minimum, where as tipi solves that And actually expands into network file saveability. Just remember FBforth, camel forth and turbo forth are supported today. Definitely worth getting  extra hardware and F18A.