IGNORED

Commodore 1000 Replacement Keyboard Options?

INTVCruise

Hello All, 

I just bought an Amiga 1000 for a pretty good price. It came with everything except the keyboard. I know there are adapters to use an A2000 keyboard for example, but I don't have one of those either ATM, just an A500. Are there any alternatives out there or DIY keyboards in 2024 by any chance? I do have the original keyboard cable btw, not sure if that helps or anything but maybe it will?

On a side note, the power switch seems to be broken as the computer is stuck in the "On" position and moving the switch, which seems kind of loose and not snappy. Are there any replacements for that too? 

Thank you everyone! 

All Amiga keyboards use the same communication protocol, so you can use any Amiga keyboard with the A1000 once it's connected correctly. The original cable could form the basis of an adaptor - if you can fit a 5-pin 180-degree DIN socket to the other end through whatever connections you need, you could plug an A2000/3000 keyboard into that. Unfortunately, you can't plug a PC keyboard in directly, but there are many adaptors out there both DIY and commercial that will allow the use of PC keyboards. If you're handy with a soldering iron, there are various projects on Aminet from back in the day that use a PIC chip to translate from PS/2 to Amiga protocol, for example.

As for the switch, I don't know what type it is exactly, but chances are it's a standard form factor part and an equivalent replacement will be easily available.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, INTVCruise said:

I ended up just buying a a1000 jyeboard with 1 missing key. Anyone know who sells repro ones or extras?

from ebay:
COMMODORE AMIGA 1000 KEYBOARD REPLACEMENT KEY CAP with SWITCH

(wants $17 for 1 key)

Edited by Golden Child