IGNORED

2800?

Crash7

Also interesting are the controllers, which work both as a joystick and a paddle, similarly to the Classic Joystick for the Atari VCS. The downside is that there's only one joystick per connector. Nevertheless, it would be a nice peripheral to have for the 2600+. ;-)

Edited by pseudografx

6 hours ago, pseudografx said:

Also interesting are the controllers, which work both as a joystick and a paddle, similarly to the Classic Joystick for the Atari VCS. The downside is that there's only one joystick per connector. Nevertheless, it would be a nice peripheral to have for the 2600+. ;-)

Right!

I've got such a Paddle/Joystick (my 2nd one was modded to work with Vectrex).

It is a joystick and a paddle at the same time but just Paddle A (or B?), not both!

Left button is joystick right = paddle fire, right button is joystick fire.

This causes problems for 2 or 4 player games (need 2 paddles per port) or single player games, if they use the wrong (B?) paddle.

I used it to play Crazy Brix on my 7800🤗

Potentiometer is very good with no jitter, buttons are crap, joystick is Ok.

The 2800 console has got 4 x 9pol ports and a joystick/paddle swich.

In paddle mode, port 3 and 4 are mapped to 1 and 2 as paddle B?

Maybe left/right/fire too?

Not sure if realy 4 joystick ports could be used as there was no such game?

On the 2600+ it is recognized as a paddle only and can't be used as a joystick!

But the buttons are relly bad, Solar Storm gets unplayable.

You can fire with left button (works not well) or pushing the "joystick" left while you turn it as a paddle🙃

20240214_111332.jpg

• Like 2

The 2800 came out first and was primarly sold in Japan. It was later sold through Sears and rebadged as the Video Arcade II. If you buy a 2800, you'll need to Set Channel Select to 'A' for Channel 95 or 'B' for Channel 96. This thread is a listing of AtariAge 2800 Console Owners. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pseudografx said:

The downside is that there's only one joystick per connector. 

That, and the included controllers were just plain lousy - especially the craptacular side buttons!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

The 2800 came out first and was primarly sold in Japan. It was later sold through Sears and rebadged as the Video Arcade II. If you buy a 2800, you'll need to Set Channel Select to 'A' for Channel 95 or 'B' for Channel 96. This thread is a listing AtariAge 2800 Console Owners. 

Or by a 2800 from Mexico and not worry about any of that.

Mitch

On 2/13/2024 at 9:56 PM, pseudografx said:

The downside is that there's only one joystick per connector. 

The console has four controller jacks, though, so it's a non-issue unless you want to use it as a paddle on something other than a Video Arcade II or 2800. (IIRC it works as a joystick on other consoles.) You would just need a Y-cable in that case, like the Coleco Gemini had for its combo controllers.

Not that you'd want to use them anyway. These things are...pretty bad. They're difficult to handle and torque around in the hand due to their smooth, curvy shape (which is more bulbous underneath than usually appears in pictures). This is exacerbated by the joystick having no appreciable feedback, and mushy, unresponsive buttons (which are actuated by a finger pushing across the surface of the board and over/onto the dome switch). The paddle is actually really nice, though, but then again you have the awful fire buttons. If you have a paddle game that doesn't use the fire button at all, you're in good shape. 😜

I think there's a lot of modding potential here, though. These could be pretty decent controllers if they didn't require--or invite--so much force to use. Maybe a leaf-type ramp from the edge of the board to the top of the switch would assist in switch presses, improve button action, and make them more responsive. Reinforcing (or somehow replacing?) the joystick fingers around the pot holder is a requirement; microswitches around the joystick assembly would help a lot, too. 

31 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

The paddle is excellent.

2800 JS_PS.jpg

I think they're pretty good too! Here I was thinking from the other comments I was the only one who likes them. I've introduced people to Kaboom on a 2800 and they've also liked the controllers.

I do like original, well-maintained CX30 paddles better, but not by tons. If you replace the CX30 pots with new, tighter potentiometers (like the "gold" ones from Best Electronics), I think it's roughly a tie for me between a "gold" CX30 and the Atari 2800 as paddles. I haven't yet unpacked my CX30+ ones to compare, but played with them at PRGE and they felt tighter than original OEM but looser than "gold" rebuilt ones.

Other options are knock-off CX30 clones from the 80s including from Coleco and Commodore, or the more original Coleco Gemini Dual Command joystick/paddle hybrid just like the 2800 controllers. More modern options include the 0711spiele ProPaddle 2 (really like these, albeit less than a good CX30), AtGames Flashback Paddles (recent lightweight clones of OEM CX30, although the ones for the Flashback 9 don't work on a real 2600), CX-30 Evolved (CX30 paddles grafted on a 7800 controller), and the Hyperkin Ranger (also joystick/paddle hybrid, I like this paddle the least and find Kaboom unplayable). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrZarniwoop said:

I think they're pretty good too! Here I was thinking from the other comments I was the only one who likes them. I've introduced people to Kaboom on a 2800 and they've also liked the controllers.

I do like original, well-maintained CX30 paddles better, but not by tons. If you replace the CX30 pots with new, tighter potentiometers (like the "gold" ones from Best Electronics), I think it's roughly a tie for me between a "gold" CX30 and the Atari 2800 as paddles. I haven't yet unpacked my CX30+ ones to compare, but played with them at PRGE and they felt tighter than original OEM but looser than "gold" rebuilt ones.

Other options are knock-off CX30 clones from the 80s including from Coleco and Commodore, or the more original Coleco Gemini Dual Command joystick/paddle hybrid just like the 2800 controllers. More modern options include the 0711spiele ProPaddle 2 (really like these, albeit less than a good CX30), AtGames Flashback Paddles (recent lightweight clones of OEM CX30, although the ones for the Flashback 9 don't work on a real 2600), CX-30 Evolved (CX30 paddles grafted on a 7800 controller), and the Hyperkin Ranger (also joystick/paddle hybrid, I like this paddle the least and find Kaboom unplayable). 

My 2800 was nearly mint. It came with two controllers (shown) that are in excellent shape. I purchased another set from Best Electronics (NOS) and both sets actually feel the same.
I have heavy sixer Atari, heavy sixer Sears paddle controllers, as well as a a couple of regular pairs and a pair of Gemini paddles. They all work well. I also purchased a set of AtGames paddles and they feel like the new CX30+ to me. A bit tighter in the movement, but provide for smooth gameplay.

IMG_3861.jpeg

I also have a near mint Sears Video Arcade II. Again, the controllers work really well. I have no complaints. Of course I have many controllers and pair certain controllers with certain games. 

Game on everyone! It’s the weekend. Enjoy it playing whatever Atari console(s) you have.🙂

IMG_3863.jpeg

IMG_3862.jpeg