IGNORED

How much of Symphony Of The Night could be ported to the TG-CD-ROM²?

Note: I have almost no technical knowledge about old consoles, so there might/will be incorrect information on this post, I didn't have much time to write this, so there may be lots of typos.

I've been reading several threads on this site for a while now. and I stumbled upon an SNES mockup of a scene from SOTN with reduced color, being compared to a demo with the same scene on the TG (Maybe just a mockup too?) with all of the colors preserved. That made me wonder how much of this game could be ported to the system.

The CD-ROM could cover the music and the size of the castles, and the 512 colors of the TG could be enough. But I'm not sure how the large sprites would be handled. The one background layer on the system means that Huge bosses like Galamoth(Attached Below) would require sacrificing the background layer, or making the boss a flickery mess.

Also; I mean the full game, not a platformer demake like this:

What do you think?

th-3421847034.jpg

Edited by DetectiveOnTheHunt
  • Like 1

There are ways on the TG16 to pull off background layers and even parallax so it's possible something could be done, working within some strict coding and limitation of the hardware.  I'd like to think it would work given what the PCE is capable of vs what hte MD can do.

As for the mock ups, a piece of advice as that'll be a sore memory here for awhile to come, NEVER, EVER trust anything posted as a mock up or so called 'fact' from that idiot Kirk Johnson aka Inceptional.  He's a 100% pathological liar and utter dripping idiot of a SNES fanboy who will fake stuff using game maker and a mix of photoshop tools to pull garbage out of his ass why the SNES can do all these things that other hardware(usually sega) can't.  For every half truth of his, there's a dozen steaming piles of lies we had to refute for over a year here because oddly he never got purged until recently for it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

There are ways on the TG16 to pull off background layers and even parallax so it's possible something could be done, working within some strict coding and limitation of the hardware.  I'd like to think it would work given what the PCE is capable of vs what the MD can do.

Good to know! I've only played two games so far (Using emulation), but I really like the console.

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

As for the mock ups, a piece of advice as that'll be a sore memory here for awhile to come, NEVER, EVER trust anything posted as a mock up or so called 'fact' from that idiot Kirk Johnson aka Inceptional.  He's a 100% pathological liar and utter dripping idiot of a SNES fanboy who will fake stuff using game maker and a mix of photoshop tools to pull garbage out of his ass why the SNES can do all these things that other hardware(usually sega) can't.  For every half truth of his, there's a dozen steaming piles of lies we had to refute for over a year here because oddly he never got purged until recently for it.

Thanks for the tip, I was worried that this thread might refuel the drama that's dissipating on the snes forum

14 hours ago, Tanooki said:

There are ways on the TG16 to pull off background layers and even parallax so it's possible something could be done, working within some strict coding and limitation of the hardware.  I'd like to think it would work given what the PCE is capable of vs what hte MD can do.

I have 3 in this level.

144DB397-2311-4B98-84CE-6F0112AC6DC5.gif

• Like 5

I don't think you'd have to change a ton to get it onto any of the 16-bit consoles. The GBA Castlevanias prove that hardware like this can do the gameplay just fine, it's more a matter of cutting/rejiggering things like the polygonal enemies and figuring out what to do about sprite rotation and scaling. The PS1 game seems to use 4bpp textures and tiles them similarly to how the 16-bit machines do, so on the SNES and TG-16, I doubt you'd need to lose much colour at all.

For those large bosses, if you had a load screen before the boss, I bet you could get an awful lot done with the Arcade Card and pre-rendering a lot of the rotation. The biggest limitation I see with the PCE is the controller. I think it'd be pretty workable on a 6-button, but those aren't common from what I can tell. I don't think it would work at all on the two/three button pads, which functionally have the same number of inputs. Although, I suppose most people are probably emulating, so that's maybe a moot point these days.

All this to say, I don't really get the obsession over getting SOTN running on 16-bit consoles. Of course they can all do it, SOTN didn't push the PS1 and shouldn't have pushed the Saturn. It just doesn't seem interesting to me because there's no doubt in my mind that the game can work and work well on any of these machines. Honestly, I think I'd prefer a 4th gen port of Circle of the Moon or Aria of Sorrow for the extra vertical resolution you'd get out of doing that and opportunities to use more buttons, rather than a worse version of SOTN.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1