IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

28 minutes ago, MikeM_ said:

I’d love to test my Coleco games as well with the new dumper. 

Colecovison Cartridges do not fit in the 2600 Cartridge Slot, you would needs a universal cartridge slot adapter that plugs into the Atari Cartridge slot, Colecovison have more teeth on its cartridge board and is longer then the 2600 cartridges.

Edited by Spanner

3 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I dont know, all I know is that @raz0red had a theory regarding the sequencing of reading different k sized carts, the dumper developer made the changes and sent me the file this morning, so now we need to test it.

You're getting the information in real time, hot off the press!

Would your dumper developer have any ideas of providing a dumper upgrader for linux?

5 minutes ago, jj_0 said:

Would your dumper developer have any ideas of providing a dumper upgrader for linux?

I would very much doubt it, likely I would have to contract it out elsewhere and that costs money.

I have been talking to a developer in the UK about the update process and if it can be streamlined. But we have not done any work, its just been a bit of talk.

17 minutes ago, Spanner said:

Colecovison Cartridges do not fit in the 2600 Cartridge Slot, you would needs a universal cartridge slot adapter that plugs into the Atari Cartridge slot, Colecovison have more teeth on its cartridge board and is longer then the 2600 cartridges.

I think they mean the Coleco games created for the Atari 2600 (white casing, black label - Zaxxon, Donkey Kong, Smurfs, DK jr, Carnival, etc)

IMG_0170.jpeg

Edited by Laladien
Added photo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Laladien said:

Mine works correctly but had a similar issue on a different television - and I honestly believe it was an HDMI handshaking issue. 

then maybe you could fix it just by turning off hdmi-cec (or whatever your TV calls it's hdmi handshake functionality)

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 10:26 PM, DEANJIMMY said:

It dumps at 16k but 32k would be correct...

My cart does dump right and plays fine, only the music is awful...

20240218_011104.jpg

Bloody hell!

I found the root cause of my distorted Medieval Mayham music!

I connected my 2600+ to my Sony TV in the living room and the sound of Medieval Mayham was good!

Then I shut off my sound system and the sound gets worse... So I thought it is related how the DSP works on the signal coming in via hdmi.

Back to my Samsung in the guest room, I checked the sound settings and they are locked to "Movie" due to the gaming mode.

Switched off the gaming mode and selected another type. Standard sounds Ok, Music sounds good. Movie is the only one which distorts the music (only) of this game and it can't be changed in gaming mode😡

When I tested the game the very first time on V1.0 the music was good... because gaming mode probably was off. Later I activated the gaming mode and tested Medieval Mayham next time on V1.1x-r2 and the music sounds awful...  but that is caused by this dumb Sanmsung TV in gaming mode!

Sorry for the confusion, my TV plays tricks on me and I go ahead and test any SW and dumper FW... what a waste of time😞

When ever your game music sounds strange, check your TV sound settings first and/or try another TV...

At least my Medieval cart dumps fine on any dumper release... therefore my Juno First fails on any dumper release so far😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Glorkbot said:

then maybe you could fix it just by turning off hdmi-cec (or whatever your TV calls it's hdmi handshake functionality)

Truthfully, the other tv I had the issue on isn’t at my house, otherwise I’d try it just to test the theory. :) It works fine on the TV I have at home, though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Yep, and I am sure the potential delayed E.T. music has got the same root cause.

But to be honest, I am old and deaf and never noticed it until somebody listening to my vid said the first tone is missing😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spanner said:

I’m aware. I was referring to my Coleco published 2600 games that currently don’t work in the 2600+. Smurf: Rescue and Zaxxon. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Yep, and I am sure the potential delayed E.T. music has got the same root cause.

But to be honest, I am old and deaf and never noticed it until somebody listening to my vid said the first tone is missing😉

To be honest I would not have caught that either!

31 minutes ago, MikeM_ said:

I’m aware. I was referring to my Coleco published 2600 games that currently don’t work in the 2600+. Smurf: Rescue and Zaxxon. 

I have tried Intellivision carts in my 2600 and unfortunately they don't work also. 🤣

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Spanner said:

Joking aside thou, I remember seeing a thread on Atariage about a Colecovision adapter that worked on the Sega Master System a year or so ago. Have a search on the forum...and back to topic. lol

1 hour ago, shane857 said:

Joking aside thou, I remember seeing a thread on Atariage about a Colecovision adapter that worked on the Sega Master System a year or so ago. Have a search on the forum...and back to topic. lol

That’s because the SMS is basically a Colecovision on steroids. Same chipset. 

Atari consoles are completely different and no cart adapter will ever make colecovision games work in any Atari console. 

I get that this dude just blurts out whatever stuff pops into his head, but that post should be deleted because it’s factually incorrect and search engines will eventually show it as the top result is someone googles “how make colecovision carts work in an Atari”.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

That’s because the SMS is basically a Colecovision on steroids. Same chipset. 

Atari consoles are completely different and no cart adapter will ever make colecovision games work in any Atari console. 

I get that this dude just blurts out whatever stuff pops into his head, but that post should be deleted because it’s factually incorrect and search engines will eventually show it as the top result is someone googles “how make colecovision carts work in an Atari”.

Well, it is factually correct as it only talks about the mechanical aspect.

"Colecovison Cartridges do not fit in the 2600 Cartridge Slot, you would needs a universal cartridge slot adapter that plugs into the Atari Cartridge slot, Colecovison have more teeth on its cartridge board and is longer then the 2600 cartridges."

Was your remark about "blurting off whatever pops into his head" really necessary?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jj_0 said:

Was your remark about "blurting off whatever pops into his head" really necessary?

Have you read any of his posts? They go in circles. And this isn't the first time he has posted completely incorrect information about these systems, that could potentially lead to someone accidentally damaging their console if they followed his wrong instructions.

and no, none of it was factually correct. There is no “mechanical aspect” involved. Different carts, different slots, completely different hardware, and no adapter of any kind will ever make them work together. Completely wrong in every aspect.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet

21 hours ago, Glorkbot said:

hdmi-cec is not the handshake. That's just the control standard so that you can allow the devices to talk to one another to allow control of power, audio volume. etc.

The handshake is a security feature built in since HDMI 1.2, and is to enable copy protection, you cannot turn it off as a user. It would need to be turned off in the device firmware.

2 hours ago, jj_0 said:

👍

Thanks for your comment!

He thinks in different ways and installs other stuff on such kind of hardware. Maybe he thought someone wants to run Coleco emulation via retroarch on it, whatever and the the slot would not fit. The SNES mini hardware was used by many to run a Playstation emulation as it has got more performance than the PS Classic.

Anyway, life is too short to hold some sort of parade because of such a misleading comment and it is not nice to insult him.

PS:

I am not a native speaker and all I wrote could be misleading too, but I don't care😉

Back to topic!

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 3