IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

17 minutes ago, raz0red said:

Not sure I completely understand the question.

But with the latest experimental firmware there shouldn't be any more disappearing sprite issues (that are inconsistent with real hardware). If you use the debug build, you can see that the frame rate the game is processing at (60 for NTSC) is consistent with the render rate (60 for NTSC). In non-experimental builds the render rate was hitting about 75% which led to disappearing sprites that are inconsistent with actual hardware. If you still believe there are issues with disappearing sprites, please let us know. But, it has been verified by multiple people that the issues they were experiencing in non-experimental builds have been resolved (as is reflected in the FPS being displayed).

You also mentioned this previously, so it is important to make sure the disappearing sprites are inconsistent with actual hardware:

The dumper doesn't have anything to do with disappearing sprites. That was an RA rendering issue based on the 2600+ hardware performance. The dumper issues will lead to cartridges that do not work correctly (either don't run at all, or have significant issues).

Chris.

Ok, thanks for this explanation. I saw and reported the disappearing frog on the exp. firmware r1 with my PAL cart. I didn't see any information concerning this issue in the description for version r2. So I decided to wait and to stay with r1. I will check and install the latest experimental firmware and give feedback. If the frog keeps disappearing I'll make a short video capture.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Pac-Man Senior said:

I just updated to 1.1x-r2 and the frog keeps disappearing in the PAL version:

Can you please capture the debug information at the top? Also, this is displaying at 50hz, so it could be television related (unlikely).

I just ran it here, and it is running as it should (less flicker in person), so not sure why you are experiencing that (really looks like the older firmware as it is clearly missing frames). The debug info should tell the story.

Apologies for the horrible video. Hard to hold the phone and play simultaneously... 😞

Thanks,

Chris.

Edited by raz0red

24 minutes ago, Pac-Man Senior said:

I just updated to 1.1x-r2 and the frog keeps disappearing in the PAL version:

I had this with the same game on same release only once. The frog disappeared on the street. I reseated the cart and could never dupe it again. I played several levels and the frog was always fine!

Maybe my cart did not dump fine on my first try🤔

As raz0red said, maybe the debug info line on the top of the screen could give some info. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

I had this with the same game on same release only once. The frog disappeared on the street. I reseated the cart and could never dupe it again. I played several levels and the frog was always fine!

Maybe my cart did not dump fine on my first try🤔

As raz0red said, maybe the debug info line on the top of the screen could give some info. 

That's very interesting. I dumped and tested it several times and the frog was disappearing every time. On original hardware no problem with this frogger cart. I saw the same problem with pac-man moments before eating a ghost the ghost disappears sometimes for a short moment - like the frog.

Just now, Pac-Man Senior said:

If there is no explanation I can test on another television. Or a crt via adapter.

I would definitely try another television. It looks like it is doing some post processing.

Do you happen to have Game Mode on? Or any other video modifications?

Thanks,

Chris.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, raz0red said:

I would definitely try another television. It looks like it is doing some post processing.

Do you happen to have Game Mode on? Or any other video modifications?

Thanks,

Chris.

You could be right. On my television (pretty old, from 2010/11) there is no game mode but several filter or picture improvements. I deactivated all of them but the problem was still there. So I plugged the 2600+ into an hdmi2av adapter and played a bit on my crt. There I watched the frog problem exactly once but cannot see it anymore. I played some minutes and wasn't able to reproduce it. That's great. So concerning the 2600+ I would plead not guilty. ;) Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

This morning I tested on my newer tv. The default settings didn't let the frog disappear but a hole line of cars. I deactivated one option that was on auto. It delivered more sharpness, judder reduction (whatever it is), led clear motion and noise reduction. After deactivating frogger was fine. Firmware 1.1x-r2.

• Like 2

Sorry to Ask, but if you don't ask you don't get.... :) and you can not learn anything... :)
Is the display driver now in the dmenu.bin file(its code) and when it see a dump then activates the display driver, thats how its acting, Retroarch is just used to run the games only not render it so to set it up and work with one controller, both joystick are one controller(Analog Port1 and Hat Port2) thats why it does not use RA's Autoconfig, it only has one usb controller(GH001 in a different package but its the same chip), that uses RGL code(this would not exist not for RGL, they started it all)

I tried loading a rom in Retroarch, it loads it but no display, its blank so guess display driver is in dmenu.bin now.

Edited by Spanner

The disappearing issue also happened to me in my CRT vía HDMITtoAV adapter, with the games Venture, Pac-man, Frogger and crystal castles. But It happened only once since the Game is dumped, I also noticed that when It happens there are less Frames than normal, for example when this happened in venture, the frame counter passed from 50.00 to 49.80 or so.

Edited by AtariYMás009
  • Like 1

I’m not sure if this is a known issue or not but Stella’s Stocking doesn’t appear to be dumping correctly. It says 4K but is supposed to be 64K I believe. My 2600+ is running with 1.1.0.9, 1.1x-r2.

IMG_9425.thumb.jpeg.3e057fbab256ee459089a3028adcb2be.jpeg
and yes that image is a projection onto my ceiling. I’ve figured out the most comfortable place for me to play Atari games is while laying down in my own bed looking up at the ceiling! :)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Plumbob said:

I’m not sure if this is a known issue or not but Stella’s Stocking doesn’t appear to be dumping correctly. It says 4K but is supposed to be 64K I believe. My 2600+ is running with 1.1.0.9, 1.1x-r2.

and yes that image is a projection onto my ceiling. I’ve figured out the most comfortable place for me to play Atari games is while laying down in my own bed looking up at the ceiling! :)

You just took gaming to a whole other level!

• Haha 2

On 3/6/2024 at 5:32 AM, Spanner said:

Sorry to Ask, but if you don't ask you don't get.... :) and you can not learn anything... :)
Is the display driver now in the dmenu.bin file(its code) and when it see a dump then activates the display driver, thats how its acting, Retroarch is just used to run the games only not render it so to set it up and work with one controller, both joystick are one controller(Analog Port1 and Hat Port2) thats why it does not use RA's Autoconfig, it only has one usb controller(GH001 in a different package but its the same chip), that uses RGL code(this would not exist not for RGL, they started it all)

I tried loading a rom in Retroarch, it loads it but no display, its blank so guess display driver is in dmenu.bin now.

Sounds to me like you're doing things not intended with the system, which is of no legal concern if Atari doesn't care about end users tinkering or reverse engineering/repurposing their 2600+ machines.

At very least, you're likely to not get any support for whatever it is you're doing, let alone warranty. Nobody else has tried to answer your question earnestly, so I'm the forum n00b here spelling out the obvious that they're not going to.

Play Atari 2600/7800 games on your system, and you'll get help with firmware; or build Voltron out of it on your own instead, and let us know how that worked out for you. Live and let live.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Plumbob said:

I heard earlier this week that Stella Stocking now works, there was a change to the dumper made.

All the homebrew super chip carts and oddities Albert sent over a few weeks ago now confirmed to work. Still melody based games do not work however.

Heres a picture of it in a cart reading device

image.thumb.png.f070d0a8eac983fb64bee83a52903874.png

• Like 8

Is Robot Tank and Time Pilot working on the new dumper? 
I’m running 1.1x-r2 debug with dumper 1.1.0.2. Robot Tank and Time Pilot are not working with dumper 1.1.0.2 and 1.1x-r2 experimental debug! With my Atari 2600+ unit!

If I switch to 1.1.0.9 Robot Tank And Time Pilot work but other games stop working! For example Circus Convoy Medieval Mayhem Juno First! Mine are all NTSC.

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Varanis Ridari said:

Sounds to me like you're doing things not intended with the system, which is of no legal concern if Atari doesn't care about end users tinkering or reverse engineering/repurposing their 2600+ machines.

At very least, you're likely to not get any support for whatever it is you're doing, let alone warranty. Nobody else has tried to answer your question earnestly, so I'm the forum n00b here spelling out the obvious that they're not going to.

Play Atari 2600/7800 games on your system, and you'll get help with firmware; or build Voltron out of it on your own instead, and let us know how that worked out for you. Live and let live.

OK, PCUAE is on THEC64 Mini, THEC64, THEVIC20, THEA500 Mini and now The Atari2600 Plus(it will be soon on THE400 Mini too), I thought it would not hurt it, I am not really bothered if any one uses it, it been out there since 2020 so if you use it, you use it, I enjoy adding stuff to PCUAE, the whole idea is to add stuff to the machines it don't have originally(and it might give the developer a idea of what to make next, THE400 Mini, PCUAE has a Atari Mode too Atari8bit Mode, that runs the Atari800 emulator), like Stella, you can run a 2600 cartridge in Stella in it, you can flash its PCUAE Autoboot script now too like a Firmware update now, you do not need to use Putty anymore, I finally worked out how to make one, all it does is flash the /oem partition, so it takes time to work out how things work.
These things would not exist if it was not of users like us who want them, 30 years from now, they will be no more because most of us will be dead(I am 53 now, 1983 was 40 years ago, I was 12 when I got my first computer, the C64) who lived thought the 80s, my grandson(he's 11) likes his PS5 and Meta Quest 3 more then retro consoles, he's not interested whatsoever in them(I did try to covert him... :) ), they are for Nostalgia only, making you think back of what it was like then, thats why you buy them, I do, I have 7 minis... :), I feel like I am in a time bubble sometimes... :)  and most of them are made by Retro Games LTD, I do have both Mega Drive Minis too, I now collect them even if I do not use them, I do not use the Mega Drive Mini 2, SNES Mini or the PlayStation Classic, I paid £90 for that from Argos, users didn't like it and its price when down to about £35/£40, Autobleem made it a better console ... :) I only made PCUAE to make the consoles better and PCUAE, it just happened so just fell in my lap in a way, it was not planed... :) at the time I knew nothing about Linux Scripting, at the beginning, all PCUAE did was run games from the carousel via USB in THEC64.
Anyway... :) 

Edited by Spanner

5 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Is Robot Tank and Time Pilot working on the new dumper? 
I’m running 1.1x-r2 debug with dumper 1.1.0.2. Robot Tank and Time Pilot are not working with dumper 1.1.0.2 and 1.1x-r2 experimental debug! With my Atari 2600+ unit!

If I switch to 1.1.0.9 Robot Tank And Time Pilot work but other games stop working! For example Circus Convoy Medieval Mayhem Juno First! Mine are all NTSC.

Yes, they both work on the latest dumper.

On 2/28/2024 at 8:21 PM,  MrChickenz said: 

@Ben from Plaion Ataridumper 1.1.0.4 is this the version Robot Tank worked with and if so is it possible for me to try? It’s no longer available for download.

Thanks for your feedback and of course @DEANJIMMY

I have a 1.1.0.10 dumper that should fix your Medieval Mayhem and Juno First issue. Let me have a quick test today and I'll be able to send it you and @DEANJIMMY to see if it resolves your issue. thanks Ben