IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

1 minute ago, shane857 said:

Me personally. I don't think the Atari 2600+ needs a user interface. Just use the switches maybe? 🤔

I think I've said this elsewhere previously...

The Plus has one extra switch, the 4:3/16:9 switch. It could be programmed to pause the game when switched, any touch of the joystick would continue gameplay. However, whilst in the pause state if you press game reset you get a menu. This could allow game states/saves, graphic options and maybe loading from USB via an OTG cable? This would also add a pause option to all games. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I think I've said this elsewhere previously...

The Plus has one extra switch, the 4:3/16:9 switch. It could be programmed to pause the game when switched, any touch of the joystick would continue gameplay. However, whilst in the pause state if you press game reset you get a menu. This could allow game states/saves, graphic options and maybe loading from USB via an OTG cable? This would also add a pause option to all games. 

Hmm...Interesting. Who actually uses the 4:3/16:9 switch anyway? 🤔

• Like 1

I was playing Activision Starmaster. Something I noticed similar to @Plumbob issue with Pole Position II. When I use B/W switch to toggle Between cockpit view and map the game would reload randomly. It doesn’t happen every time. But it happened a few times. @raz0red would the B/W switch cause the game to reload? Has anyone else noticed this issue?

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MrChickenz said:

As long as it’s permanently set to 4:3. Works for me!

Well, I don't really like stretched graphics or something too far from authentic in my retro gaming... But the 2600 Plus is different for me. The graphics are so simple, and the crisp display so different from the original experience that I play in 16:9, all the time. 😬😱  The games look great to me in as large a screen as possible. 

Am I gonna be banned from here now? 🤷🏻🤣

• Haha 3
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Well, I don't really like stretched graphics or something too far from authentic in my retro gaming... But the 2600 Plus is different for me. The graphics are so simple, and the crisp display so different from the original experience that I play in 16:9, all the time. 😬😱  The games look great to me in as large a screen as possible. 

Whaaaaaaat! Lol! I didn’t think it looked bad either! Now I have to try in 16:9 using my projector like @Plumbob!

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Stella on R77. :) 

For activating the menu.

Hang on, the idea I've outlined above is already done on the Retron? 🤣 I genuinely did not know this. 🤷🏻 Validates how good my idea is. 🤟🏻😁🤣

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

I was playing Activision Starmaster. Something I noticed similar to @Plumbob issue with Pole Position II. When I use B/W switch to toggle Between cockpit view and map the game would reload randomly. It doesn’t happen every time. But it happened a few times. @raz0red would the B/W switch cause the game to reload? Has anyone else noticed this issue?

Likely, that switch is causing enough of a vibration to cause the cart to be detected as having been removed.

Make sure that cart has a solid connection, etc.

Chris.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I have been on a personal quest recently. The best display options... alternating between the original VCS and the 2600+. 

For me all directional zoom just scan off on an LG . Adjust to your TV and your preferences. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JetmanUK said:

Come on, give it it a go, I'm sure you have original hardware for fuzzy 4:3, embrace a crisp 16:9 on the Plus. 🤟🏻🤞🏻

I very much love the crisp, HDMI display of the 2600+ and the 400 Mini.  I'll have to respectfully disagree on the aspect ratio. :D :D

..Al

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Validates how good my idea is. 🤟🏻😁🤣

Well, i'ts a good idea, but you also said that you played in 16/9 aspect ratio previously ...

So, let's say that the good idea makes up for it a little. You will be hanged rather than burned at the stake for not playing im 4/3 AR 😂

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Come on, give it it a go, I'm sure you have original hardware for fuzzy 4:3, embrace a crisp 16:9 on the Plus. 🤟🏻🤞🏻

OK, you insist with no remorse. 
Lack of respect for Aspect Ratio (or LoRAR for short) is a felony here at AA.
This crime is punished by "burning gallows" : You will be hanged and burned at the stake at the same time 😂🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Spanner said:

Idea: Adding a CRT filter so its looks like its on a CRT TV, you could even add the bezel around it so it has a CRT tube shape... :) but would have to be added to the 4:3 display.

I know this idea is popular with a lot of people. For me, I want nothing to do with it. If the filter isn't optional, allowing me to NOT use it, I won't use the system at all.

8 minutes ago, NicodemusLegend said:

I know this idea is popular with a lot of people. For me, I want nothing to do with it. If the filter isn't optional, allowing me to NOT use it, I won't use the system at all.

I think it would be a nice option, I'm sure many would use it, but for me, I love the crisp digital look for such simple graphics. Access to the Stella menus would be great, even if it was limited access that allowed a little tinkering with graphic settings. But I wouldn't use a filter either. 

I dont have a CRT these days, but when I want a lower quality image (and 4:3) for real deep nostalgia I play on the old woody. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Why make it that hard for the user?

The UI can be navigated with a joystick.

Because it would be completely inauthentic to the entire point of the 2600+

there’s a million other ways to emulate these games with fancy UIs and options menus. Can we just have one that isn’t a Swiss Army knife, and is just an Atari Cart using gaming console?

• Like 4