IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

23 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Because it would be completely inauthentic to the entire point of the 2600+

there’s a million other ways to emulate these games with fancy UIs and options menus. Can we just have one that isn’t a Swiss Army knife, and is just an Atari Cart using gaming console?

How hard is it to avoid using a switch at the back of the console?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

So, it would be exactly like a real Atari. 

A real Atari doesn't use emulation and produces an analog video signal. 

You single out some points which favor your view, ignore others which do not, and on that base dismiss the (optional!) ones which are against your artificial view.

• Like 7

Just now, John Stamos Mullet said:

It’s like building a nice new vinyl turntable, and then putting Bluetooth in it so you can stream your music from your phone. 

So what? You get that option for free. E.g. in case your vinyl gets broken, lost, whatever.

• Like 3

Just now, Thomas Jentzsch said:

A real Atari doesn't use emulation and produces an analog video signal. 

You single out some points which favor your view, ignore others which do not, and on that base dismiss the (optional!) ones which are against your artificial view.

And you push for unnecessary options that would devalue the nostalgic sense memory point of a true retro console, that would turn it into just another carbon copy of every other disposable crappy emulation/rom pirate box. 

being carts only with limited options is the only thing that sets it apart from a million other generic emulation options. 

26 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

And you have a million other options for those features already. 

can we have one that isn’t another boring knock off?

Why not have the options, especially if they are exposed with a UI that you have to call up yourself?  If you don't want to use those features, then just ignore them.  The rest of us, we'll have fun with these added options.  It already has features that the original Atari 2600 did not, such as HDMI output, USB C port for power and firmware updates, and a 4:3/16:9 switch, so you're already well beyond the original consoles as far as those go. 

..Al

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Because it would be completely inauthentic to the entire point of the 2600+

there’s a million other ways to emulate these games with fancy UIs and options menus. Can we just have one that isn’t a Swiss Army knife, and is just an Atari Cart using gaming console?

Agree!

26 minutes ago, Albert said:

Why not have the options, especially if they are exposed with a UI that you have to call up yourself?  If you don't want to use those features, then just ignore them.  The rest of us, we'll have fun with these added options.  It already has features that the original Atari 2600 did not, such as HDMI output, USB C port for power and firmware updates, and a 4:3/16:9 switch, so you're already well beyond the original consoles as far as those go. 

..Al

I think I’ve brought it up before that I’m not personally against the idea of having a hidden menu for advanced features. Especially if I can ignore it and still get the classic experience. 

However….

I am against diverting attention away from  current efforts to ensure cart compatibility and basic functionality. Once we have 100% cart compatibility, then by all means we can go to town with new feature requests, but until then, I don’t want to dilute Ben’s team’s efforts on getting us to 100%. 

• Like 2

Just now, MikeM_ said:

I am against diverting attention away from  current efforts to ensure cart compatibility and basic functionality. Once we have 100% cart compatibility, then by all means we can go to town with new feature requests, but until then, I don’t want to dilute Ben’s team’s efforts on getting us to 100%. 

These are not mutually exclusive things (meaning that the people working on cartridge compatibility aren't necessarily the same people who might add features like this), and I'm not suggesting diverting attention away from continuing to improve cartridge compatibility.  And more progress has been made on that front recently that will please everyone, but I can't reveal the details.  :)

..Al

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Albert said:

These are not mutually exclusive things (meaning that the people working on cartridge compatibility aren't necessarily the same people who might add features like this), and I'm not suggesting diverting attention away from continuing to improve cartridge compatibility.  And more progress has been made on that front recently that will please everyone, but I can't reveal the details.  :)

..Al

I appreciate the insight Al. Thanks. 👍🏼 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Albert said:

..Al

Agree!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Albert said:

..Al

Ok - that makes sense.

Just sounded like some wanted that to be the default, which I would hate.

• Like 1

I like that the 2600 Plus is closer to authentic than all the other options, and agree that a menu system that was overt in nature could spoil a users enjoyment somewhat.

But if it was accessed in the way I have suggested previously (remember, via a button that is new and not authentic anyway, the system pauses until it detects a joystick input, or a press of game reset to enter the menu) then you could easily never enter the menu if you didn't know how to.

Also the QOL update of the 4:3/16:9 switch triggering a system wide pause would be nice, again if you don't like, you don't use. 

EDIT:

To be clear, I suggest that the 4:3/16:9 switch would pause emulation and change aspect ratio at the same time. You touch the joystick to continue in the new ratio, or if you were using the button as pause you just flick it back to the original position to return to the original aspect ratio and then touch the joystick to continue. It could be confusing for people if the aspect ratio switch didn't actually switch aspect ratio! 🤣

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Ok - that makes sense.

Just sounded like some wanted that to be the default, which I would hate.

I enjoy purchasing physical copies! Original and Homebrews! I purchased my Retron 77 with the intent to use cartridges. Although I enjoy using all the features of the Retron 77 very much, I use it for emulation now. Kinda pointless to use the cartridge. So I understand what you mean!

And I have to say when I purchased my vinyl turntable years ago it has the Bluetooth feature. I first thought I could play my vinyl records through my Bluetooth speakers. But realized it was for streaming music from my phone. I thought what was the purpose Lol!

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

And I have to say when I purchased my vinyl turntable years ago it has the Bluetooth feature. I first thought I could play my vinyl records through my Bluetooth speakers. But realized it was for streaming music from my phone. I thought what was the purpose Lol!

I agree, who wants to play music from their phone through some crappy speakers mounted in a turntable, whereas you might want the vinyl' audio sending to some nice BT speakers. But as well as old game consoles I also like to use (a now sadly old fashioned to many) HiFi stack for music, so I wouldn't touch those crappy turntables with speakers anyway. 🤣

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Something I also enjoy on Stella on my laptop, Stereo sound, that would be a nice feature too, and is authentic, technically with the NTSC version of the hardware.

:)

Or maybe Bluetooth Stereo Stella so I can stream it through my crappy turntable speakers! 😂🤣

• Haha 1

I play music through Virtual JD on the PC and you can use the turntable as a controller to play each track so its like its playing the music on the turntable, it kind of cool, it reads a special vinyl that it reads so know its that turntable I am using as a controller, it uses a turntable that has USB on it so its plugged into the PC and this way your not playing vinyl's that might be scratched too... :) you have to turn down the volume on the turntable if it has a built-in amplifier otherwise your hear the computer sound coming from the special vinyl, it sounds abit like if you were loading a game on the ZX Spectrum.
Its a better way of playing mp3 files... :) it basically a vinyl emulator.. :)

Edited by Spanner
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I agree, who wants to play music from their phone through some crappy speakers mounted in a turntable, whereas you might want the vinyl' audio sending to some nice BT speakers. But as well as old game consoles I also like to use (a now sadly old fashioned to many) HiFi stack for music, so I wouldn't touch those crappy turntables with speakers anyway. 🤣

Dare I say that the phrase “nice BT speakers” seems like an oxymoron to me 😅?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1