IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

First, I would like to say thank you to the team for getting Pitfall II working. I never thought I would see the day. Additionally the original Pitfall and H.E.R.O. now play without the ticking noise.

Has anyone else tried Kaboom! yet? I still find the controls jittery on the CX30+ paddles, and the paddle "resolution" seems very low to me.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

First off, thanks to everyone that worked on this, it's much appreciated.

I've been checking the forums for a month waiting for it 😄

The behavior of the dumper is much more consistent in this version, which is helpful with problematic carts. I had some issues with time pilot, but it just needed cleaning (again). Finally got it running.

I could not get Stella's Stocking nor Turbo Arcade running yet, although I have not tried too many times.

Those were the only 2 carts I couldn't run on r2. The issues I was having with Juno First being problematic in r2 seem resolved in this version. Could just be card issues again, many of my issues are cart card related. My Phoenix and Pole Position are just fine.

LOVE we got Pitfall 2 support, a holy grail. Just ordered a copy before it hits some of the rare 7800 prices. Lol.

Edited by tradyblix
spelling

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, yorxs said:

First, I would like to say thank you to the team for getting Pitfall II working. I never thought I would see the day. Additionally the original Pitfall and H.E.R.O. now play without the ticking noise.

Has anyone else tried Kaboom! yet? I still find the controls jittery on the CX30+ paddles, and the paddle "resolution" seems very low to me.

Yeah super breakout and kaboom have paddle resolution issues of some sort. Other paddle games don't and it's not seemingly hardware related, so not sure what root cause is. That should be next focus of team IMO.

But honestly just release this as 1.1; it's far better than OG firmware and dumper was. Make those fixes if possible in 1.2, im sure atari will want to be shipping better firmware ASAP.

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

Call me crazy but after doing a lot of testing with my "flickery" PAL games I think that the disappearing sprites issue comes from hotswapping.

I also have a Samsung TV as @MrChickenzdoes and I tested both with "image enhancements" and without them, and when I hotswapped the carts was the only time they showed the disappearing sprites issue.

Maybe It has something to do with TV refresh rate when you just hotswap the carts because the TV goes 60Hz>50Hz>60Hz>50Hz so fast.

On the other side, if you don't hotswap the carts the TV goes 

60hz(no Signal)>60hz(loading)>50hz(Loaded Game)

Edit: I've just played like 15 minutes of pac-man without any disappearing sprites by not hotswapping 

Edited by AtariYMás009
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

I finally got my copy of pitfall 2 to work! Took a bunch of tries.

I take back what I said about the paddles working smooth in everything but Super Breakout. They are really jittery on all games when you turn the paddles slowly.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AtariYMás009 said:

I also have a Samsung TV as @MrChickenzdoes and I tested both with "image enhancements" and without them, and when I hotswapped the carts was the only time they showed the disappearing sprites issue.

If your Samsung has the "Clean Digital View" picture option, please turn that off. That's what fixed the disappearing sprites for me, see 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, AtariYMás009 said:

I can confirm super breakout has issues

Here is in an original Jr with original paddles

And here in the 2600+ (last firmware and dumper)

You can see how the paddle moves like in little steps with de 2600+

What paddles are you using on the Atari 2600+ are they original also or the new CX30+? I can see the course movement but I don’t see jitter.

Edited by MrChickenz

First two clips of Super Breakout are with Original Atari Paddles. The last clip is with the new CX30+ Paddles.

With the Original paddles there is No jitter I can see the course movement only with Super Breakout.

I have no trouble reaching level 2 without really trying. In my opinion it’s very playable.

However ONLY with Super Breakout are the new CX30+ paddles jittery. Not playable.

All othe paddle games play great with the new CX30+ paddles for me.

If the paddles look wonky in the first two clips it’s because I’m controlling the paddle with one hand while taking the video with the other hand.

Again maybe Atari can rerelease a version of Super Breakout to work with the new CX30+ paddles. The new Super Breakout CIB

I would buy it!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It isn't just the atari paddles, though, because I have super breakout and I use it with a Hyperkin ranger hybrid controller. And it also has paddle resolution issues with super breakout, But I can play warlords just fine.

So yeah, I mean, I just don't think I would blame it on the CX30+ alone. And we've all been told It's not Stella, so I guess its that controller chip. But I don't know, so I should refrain from speculating.

Personally, paddle games are not why I got this system and not where most of my joy is, I am much more into arcade space shooters. And various versions of pac man. but I can understand why a large amount of people would want paddle games like super breakout to be great.

Now, if it can be fixed by releasing a new copy of super breakout that would be totally awesome.

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

It isn't just the atari paddles, though, because I have super breakout and I use it with a Hyperkin ranger hybrid controller. And it also has paddle resolution issues with super breakout, But I can play warlords just fine.

So yeah, I mean, I just don't think I would blame it on the CX30+ alone.

Huh… my ranger hybrid controllers did not work with the 2600+ on the stock firmware.

so many reasons to upgrade this weekend! 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dashv said:

Huh… my ranger hybrid controllers did not work with the 2600+ on the stock firmware.

so many reasons to upgrade this weekend! 🙂

That is truly strange, because I had no problem with them on any firmware version. Other than them, you know, being jittery. Or half resolution, or whatever you want to call it on super breakout, which was always the case.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I am very satisfied with the new Firmware and Dumper update! If you plan on playing Super Breakout and have an original set of paddles you’re good to go! If you don’t buy a set
If your original set of paddles seem jittery give them a cleaning. I use to open and take apart the potentiometer to clean it but found an easy solution that works great!

NOTE: This only works with Original Paddles 
Now I just remove the back of the controller and use two different electronic sprays one is Electronic Cleaner Spray and the other is Spray and Stay Gel Lubricant. They both come with a straw just Spray the Cleaner spray first into the potentiometer then turn the paddle back and forth a few times. Then repeat with the Spay and Stay Gel Lubricant. Works for me!

When I’m not playing Super Breakout I’m using my new CX30+ paddles they work great!

Now your playing with Power!

HAVE YOU PLAYED ATARI 2600+ TODAY! 

I HAVE!

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, dashv said:

Be sure the Hyperkin paddle mode is selected. S is Stick mode P is Paddle mode. 👍

IMG_0578.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2024 at 11:09 AM, DEANJIMMY said:

Space Instigators PAL works fine, some cleaning was necessary to get rid of the glitches.

All my expected carts work, including Juno First and Pitfall2 PAL but Medieval Mayham runs with glitches!

Try to play it, it always dumps but mine has got issues...

Draconian and so on still don't work.

Did anybody test Ninjish Guy?

Ninjish Guy is working again.  This new update is legit! Thank you all!

20240525_101432.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, tradyblix said:

😄

I could not get Stella's Stocking nor Turbo Arcade running yet, although I have not tried too many times.

Turbo Arcade won’t run yet. None of the Champ Games that are CDFJ bankswitching are working yet. 

only the older, DPC+ Champ Games work for now. They are working on CDFJ games, one of the devs has a line on getting it working.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

What paddles are you using on the Atari 2600+ are they original also or the new CX30+? I can see the course movement but I don’t see jitter.

I don't have the CX-30+, the ones I use are original paddles that, as you said, don't show jittery movement, but they do show a course movement when you move them slowly on the 2600+

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Turbo Arcade won’t run yet. None of the Champ Games that are CDFJ bankswitching are working yet. 

only the older, DPC+ Champ Games work for now. They are working on CDFJ games, one of the devs has a line on getting it working.

Sadly Galagon by Champ Games sold from AtariAge doesn’t work for me! I purchased this awhile back. Loads to a black screen.

Edited by MrChickenz

12 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Kewl. Thanks for the info. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MrChickenz said:

I am very satisfied with the new Firmware and Dumper update! If you plan on playing Super Breakout and have an original set of paddles you’re good to go! If you don’t buy a set
If your original set of paddles seem jittery give them a cleaning. I use to open and take apart the potentiometer to clean it but found an easy solution that works great!

NOTE: This only works with Original Paddles 
Now I just remove the back of the controller and use two different electronic sprays one is Electronic Cleaner Spray and the other is Spray and Stay Gel Lubricant. They both come with a straw just Spray the Cleaner spray first into the potentiometer then turn the paddle back and forth a few times. Then repeat with the Spay and Stay Gel Lubricant. Works for me!

When I’m not playing Super Breakout I’m using my new CX30+ paddles they work great!

Now your playing with Power!

HAVE YOU PLAYED ATARI 2600+ TODAY! 

I HAVE!

The other thing you could do is play with a space invaders 3 button controller setup, its better than using a joystick at least. At least I think you can do that on Super Breakout. I can't seem to find my copy atm or my rangers to test it. 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Sadly Galagon by Champ Games sold from AtariAge doesn’t work for me! I purchased this awhile back. Loads to a black screen.

It's a CDFJ game, it's not going to run now.

..Al

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Strategy X NOW works every time! This was the only cartridge I have that had to be adjusted in the cartridge slot to load.

I no longer have to pull it back a tad after inserting. Loads every time! 

So Big improvement on the Dumper update!

• Like 1