IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Thats why it amazes me that you are able to use paddles directly with the Atari 2600+. And they work great!

The paddles indeed work on the 2600+, but I wouldn't say they work great. When playing PAL Kaboom, the paddles feel jittery and not very responsive, when compared to a real 2600. In Breakout, the paddles work much better, so maybe this is game specific.

But anyway, joystick games are my favorite, so I don't mind it too much.

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 11:24 PM, JetmanUK said:

OK, no worries.

Well, my super rare cart is still for sale, it now has a cool custom hole in the label too, even more unique!

Update on this:

My game is now even more valuable, as not only is it rare, it is now proven to work on the 2600 Plus, it will be included in the next firmware.

Bids starting at $100 please. 😜🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dionoid said:

The paddles indeed work on the 2600+, but I wouldn't say they work great. When playing PAL Kaboom, the paddles feel jittery and not very responsive, when compared to a real 2600. In Breakout, the paddles work much better, so maybe this is game specific.

I have NTSC paddle games. I’m not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

And an ancient Stella core. 

Yep, its older than the Ark but it says to use the Stella 2014 core for paddle support on the 2600 daptor website or just use the latest stand alone Stella. 

Edited by mastic_man

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, mastic_man said:

Yep, its older than the Ark but it says to use the Stella 2014 core for paddle support on the 2600 daptor website or just use the latest stand alone Stella. 

So the original developers of the Atari 2600+ must have added some custom paddle-support code to get it working in Stella 6.7. Shouldn't that be shared back to the Stella github repository, according to GPL license terms?

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

So the original developers of the Atari 2600+ must have added some custom paddle-support code to get Stella 6.7 working. Shouldn't that be shared back to the Stella github repository, according to GPL license terms?

Definitely.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dionoid said:

I have an NTSC Kaboom and have exactly the same issue - Breakout is perfect, Kaboom is practically unplayable.  This has been the case on all firmware revisions so far.  

50 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

So the original developers of the Atari 2600+ must have added some custom paddle-support code to get it working in Stella 6.7. Shouldn't that be shared back to the Stella github repository, according to GPL license terms?

That may be possible, but this isn’t the thread to bring it up.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

That may be possible, but this isn’t the thread to bring it up.

I'll bring up whatever I want. Don't act like you're the guard of this thread, please.

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 8

21 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

I'll bring up whatever I want. Don't act like you're the guard of this thread, please.

And I’ll tell you it’s unnecessary in this thread. Start another thread if you want to make idle accusations of GPL violations. This thread is for discussion of the performance of this experimental firmware.

By the same token, dont act like you’re a lawyer hired by the Stella dev team to protect against abuses of its GPL.

2 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

And I’ll tell you it’s unnecessary in this thread. Start another thread if you want to make idle accusations of GPL violations. This thread is for discussion of the performance of this experimental firmware.

By the same token, dont act like you’re a lawyer hired by the Stella dev team to protect against abuses of its GPL.

Are these unjustified, snipe answers really necessary? Or are you just up for trouble?

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

This thread is for discussion of the performance of this experimental firmware.

27 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

This thread should be supportive and collaborative, not accusatory.

You just continue to act like you’re the guard of this thread, don’t you? :)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Am I wrong though?

Yes, you are wrong in thinking that you’re entitled to guard this thread. We are obviously speaking on different levels: I am talking about the form, and you are talking about the content. Let’s leave it at that.

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

Yes, you are wrong in thinking that you’re entitled to guard this thread. We are obviously speaking on different levels: I am talking about the form, and you are talking about the content. Let’s leave it at that.

My only point here is, I love this particular product. I want to see it succeed. So when I come into the de facto “bug testing” thread and see people complaining about GPL licenses, or shipment delays on pre-orders, or other general complaints that are completely unrelated to this particular topic, I think somebody should call that out. 

I don’t want to see further development of this product get hampered or delayed over squabbling about GPL licenses and unnecessary threats of litigation. 

time and place. This thread is neither the time nor the place. 

also - these are not officially published updates fully supported by Atari. It is an experimental build that the devs shared for testing purposes and at the risk of potential failure or regressions. Likely very little of this would be relevant to updating the git for GPL purposes. 

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

You just continue to act like you’re the guard of this thread, don’t you? :)

In case you don't already know, a good option is to use the "ignored users" list in your account profile.

Unfortunately, you do still see ignored content when someone else quotes it, but it can still help to remove a lot of these unpleasant, overbearing and attack-driven posts.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, infinite.pies said:

In case you don't already know, a good option is to use the "ignored users" list in your account profile.

Unfortunately, you do still see ignored content when someone else quotes it, but it can still help to remove a lot of these unpleasant, overbearing and attack-driven posts.

Another good option is to just stay on topic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I thoroughly tested and played all of my games this past weekend just to make sure there were no regressions using the new update (update-052024-1.1x-r3-debug, dumper-052024-x.01), all games are NTSC. 

Thank you to all who contributed to this firmware update. I think it is getting really close to perfect!

I just want to try to be helpful by reporting what worked and what didn’t for me. 

Here is the list of games that I didn’t notice any issues with:

2600:

10 Games in 1 Cartridge

4 Games in 1 Cartridge

Adventure

Air Sea Battle

Armor Ambush

Asteroids

Astroblast (paddle only)

Barnstorming

Berzerk

Berzerk Enhanced

Boxing

Combat

Crackpots

Demon Attack

Donkey Kong

Enduro

ET

Freeway

Frogger

Frogger II Threedeep!

Grand Prix

Hangman

HERO

HERO2 (green PCB)

Jr. Pac Man

Jungle Hunt

Maze Craze

Missile command

Mr. Run And Jump

Ms. Pac Man

Pac Man

Pelé’s Soccer

Pitfall

Q*Bert

River Raid

Space Invaders

Space War

Spider Fighter

Stampede

Starmaster

Stella’s Stocking

Super Breakout

Super Cobra

Tennis

Video Checkers

Warlords

Yars’ Revenge

7800:

Centipede

Dig Dug

Dragon’s Havoc

Galaga

Joust

Ms. Pac Man

Pole Position II

Tower Toppler

Xevious 

In summary, I found no regressions with this update, and Stella’s Stocking is now working!

However, Astroblast works great with the paddle but is not yet working with a joystick.  

Also, I have two copies of HERO2. The newer copy (with the green PCB) works on my 2600+. The older one with a purple PCB and a serial number below 200 doesn’t work in my 2600+, but does work on my 7800. 

I read somewhere that any HERO2 cart with serial number above 200 will work on the 2600+.   

Here is a screenshot of the debug info for HERO2, green PCB:

IMG_0683.thumb.jpeg.a31db29e261081407c115e87b7b28e18.jpeg

And here is purple PCB, serial number under 200:

IMG_0684.thumb.jpeg.87340b8b4c4da082b45f66693f0889bf.jpeg

Hopefully this info might be helpful. 

Cheers

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Plumbob said:

In summary, I found no regressions with this update, and Stella’s Stocking is now working!

Not for me it's not. *edit*. Okay I tried inserting it 8 times, on the eighth time it actually loaded and booted up. I swear, there's something about the pins, that's a pristine and brand new cart. Or maybe very new carts have to be inserted a few times to work ? It's gonna cause so many "I can't boot this game" experiences

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

I have the latest official update installed, but want to check out this update now that Pitfall II works.   I did not see instructions on how to install this update.   Is it an easy process and do people here recommend it?   

1 minute ago, swlovinist said:

I have the latest official update installed, but want to check out this update now that Pitfall II works.   I did not see instructions on how to install this update.   Is it an easy process and do people here recommend it?   

Yes, this update is highly recommended. The update process is the same as for the official update (although that wasn't a final update).