IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

9 hours ago, raz0red said:

So the first 2 are the standard Stella palette, so they should match, and they are what you are familiar with.

It doesn't necessarily make them more right or wrong than other choices, just different.

On the first page of this thread you state:

• Zippy the Porcupine PAL (correct palette)
  • Amoeba Jump PAL (correct palette)                   What makes these games correct palette?

9 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

On the first page of this thread you state:

• Zippy the Porcupine PAL (correct palette)
  • Amoeba Jump PAL (correct palette)                   What makes these games correct palette?

X4 fixes those PAL60 games to use NTSC palette (which might be too dark but Zippy looks fine😉)

1 hour ago, MrChickenz said:

You failed to mention are you PAL or NTSC. I’m referring to NTSC colors. Z26 pallet appears darker on NTSC in some games it’s too dark to see certain sprites on screen as you mention with your example with standard pallet on real hardware 

I always refer to PAL games, since I don't have NTSC games, this palette change has not affected me, but I have been comparing the real hardware with the standard PAL palette to show how the z26 is much more similar to the real hardware despite not being the most "realistic"

13 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

I understand this is experimental Firmware. It’s my choice to use it or not. That’s why I said I could stay with 1.1x-r2 it’s not an issue for me. There are extremely great improvements with the Firmware. I just feel the change to the NTSC pallet is a downgrade.

Yeah, but now you can't play Pitfall 2.

This is why a baseline new firmware needs to be released.

Then people can start messing around with color palettes and stuff like that.

Edited by tradyblix
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NicodemusLegend said:

How close are we looking for? Seems to me we're close to 100% now, and have been for a good long while....

People aren’t waiting for 100%, really. They’re just holding out so they still have something to bitch about. People love complaining about game companies. Seems like a lot of people just want to talk about that and nothing else.

• Like 2

I would just like to say thanks for the excellent work on the new updates and dumper, the progress being made is outstanding. 

Just a thought on a few work arounds for Indy 500 and Star Raiders & Arm based games for those who want to play them.

Star raiders has a no keyboard version and works similar to Star Master by using the consoles switches so could be made up on a home brew cart or side loaded.

Indy 500 has a joystick fallback option on Stella, could this be enabled on the firmware so we can use a joystick for now?

Dumpers since X.01 will no longer dump any Arm based games properly ( such as champ games ) that have been burned to eprom on home brew PCB with F4 bankswitching so the work around for those games are no longer viable.

This is not really an issue as easy to revert back to dumper 1.1.0.9 or wait for melody based boards to be supported. 

Many thanks again to all involved with the experimental updates. 

Edited by mastic_man

1 hour ago, mastic_man said:

Just a thought on a few work arounds for Indy 500 and Star Raiders & Arm based games for those who want to play them.

Star raiders has a no keyboard version works similar to Star Master by using the consoles switches so could be made up on a home brew cart or side loaded.

Indy 500 has a joystick fallback option on Stella, could this be enabled on the firmware so we can use a joystick for now?

These are great suggestions, there is also a version of Omega Race which uses a standard one button 2600 controller by pushing upwards for thrust. Plays just like Asteroids it’s awesome. @Thomas Jentzsch had quite a few of these game improvements with controllers.

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 2

Just now, MrChickenz said:

These are great suggestions, there is also a version of Omega Race which uses a standard one button 2600 controller by pushing upwards for thrust. Plays just like Asteroids it’s awesome. @Thomas Jentzsch had quite a few of game’s improvements with controller s

@Thomas Jentzsch is a ledgend and has done some amazing work for this community 👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

These are great suggestions, there is also a version of Omega Race which uses a standard one button 2600 controller by pushing upwards for thrust. Plays just like Asteroids it’s awesome. @Thomas Jentzsch had quite a few of these game improvements with controllers.

Regarding Omega Race...

I wonder if the 2600 Plus could be adjusted to work this way with the cart via emulation? Or if not, could the emulation be adjusted to work with a 7800 controller's second button with this particular cart?

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I wonder if the 2600 Plus could be adjusted to work this way with the cart via emulation? Or if not, could the emulation be adjusted to work with a 7800 controllers second button with this particular cart?

This would be a "game" changer.  pun not intended/intended.  Srsly, That would be great news for Omega Race.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

It really would, I own it, but can't play it. 

I own the cart, but now grip. A guy on here owns Omega Race with the Booster Grip and a 2600+ but hasn't updated the firmware to test the cart and grip out.  (Maybe it was the "Collecting" group, I don't remember) He hasn't gotten back to us about whether or not it works.  But if the CX78+ works then it's game over, or game on, as it were.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bitsized said:

I own the cart, but now grip. A guy on here owns Omega Race with the Booster Grip and a 2600+ but hasn't updated the firmware to test the cart and grip out.  (Maybe it was the "Collecting" group, I don't remember) He hasn't gotten back to us about whether or not it works.  But if the CX78+ works then it's game over, or game on, as it were.  

I believe the version I’m referring to also works with the driving controller. If I remember correctly it depends on how the difficulty switches are set.

Thank you for L.E.M. PAL60 palette.

Some European people months ago asked me which version to buy on AtariAge Store, PAL50 or PAL60.

I told them to wait because PAL60 is better (same speed as NTSC) but colors were wrong on 2600+.

Now they can buy PAL60 (roms are free to download).

The image I use in my socials to announce 2600+ firmare updates is very suitable now. 😄

Atari2600Firmwareupdate.thumb.jpg.632529b63041f1f0a169f8cf3c1acdad.jpg

• Like 4