IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

42 minutes ago, AtariYMás009 said:

Since the Atari 2600+ is being distributed with the latest revision of the experimental firmware and the 7800+ will be released with the same firmware as well...
Wouldn't this be a good time to try to implement the menu to access the 50/60Hz and phosphor effect settings?

Because I think I speak for everyone who has this problem when I say that it is very annoying to play games like Frogger, Joust, Venture and many others in this way.

And apart from the fact that as I said I think it is the right time, I have brought up the subject again since the problem has happened to me in another game, this one being Mario Bros, where the fireballs disappear for a certain time making you lose lives without knowing why.

The 50/60Hz switching option and phosphor and bilinear filtering will be in the next firmware release. They're already testing it now and it's working well, to my understanding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

With the 2600+ being a temporary device (just like the current incarnation of Atari) which tries to mimic the 2600. I am pretty sure the 2600 will still be here, when the 2600+ is long gone and has been replaced by a number of (hopefully improved) successors. For me these consoles are moving targets.

There is nothing "temporary" about these devices. They work. As Advertised. And are currently being actively supported and improved. In fact, given that they are 45 years younger than the original VCS console, odds are they will last much longer into the future than original consoles, just due to component aging and bit rot.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet

2 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

There is nothing "temporary" about these devices. They work. As Advertised. And are currently being actively supported and improved. In fact, given that they are 45 years younger than the original VCS console, odds are they will last much longer into the future than original consoles, just due to component aging and bit rot.

I disagree. Wanna bet? :) 

Once they loose support, they will support less and less new games. And then, even though they may still function "as advertised", people will look somewhere else.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I disagree. Wanna bet? :) 

Once they loose support, they will support less and less new games. And then, even though they may still function "as advertised", people will look somewhere else.

By the time these "Loose" support, the vast majority of the target audience for them will be in retirement homes or dead, as most are not that far off as it is.

Why can't you just let people enjoy this console for what it is instead of coming into this sub to constantly criticize and complain about it?

Ofcourse the A+ platform will not be forever supported by a large commercial company, that is not being negative. Product support will stay as long it is commercially profitable. We can extend the lifespan by buying a lot of consoles and games in the coming months/years and keep buying newly released items.

We Atari fans enjoyed the 2600 and 7800 (and other Atari products) since they were released and that will not change 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Why can't you just let people enjoy this console for what it is instead of coming into this sub to constantly criticize and complain about it?

You sound like a typical fanboy. Everyone who has a different opinion has to shut up. 

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AtariYMás009 said:

Since the Atari 2600+ is being distributed with the latest revision of the experimental firmware and the 7800+ will be released with the same firmware as well...
Wouldn't this be a good time to try to implement the menu to access the 50/60Hz and phosphor effect settings?

Because I think I speak for everyone who has this problem when I say that it is very annoying to play games like Frogger, Joust, Venture and many others in this way.

And apart from the fact that as I said I think it is the right time, I have brought up the subject again since the problem has happened to me in another game, this one being Mario Bros, where the fireballs disappear for a certain time making you lose lives without knowing why.

Wasn't this your TV settings being in the wrong mode tho ? I don't have issues playing Joust or Venture, I can say that. 

Edited by tradyblix

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

You sound like a typical fanboy. Everyone who has a different opinion has to shut up. 

This subforum is essentially a support forum for this product, and this specific thread is for intended for information and discussion of the various builds of experimental firmware. Instead of being helpful, or staying on topic, you're just in here complaining and dumping on Atari and this product.

This is literally an Atari "fan" site. Presumably, everyone on here is a fan of Atari. If you don't like this particular console, fine. Nobody's forcing you to like, or support it. But you could contain your complaints and bitching to another thread,  so this one which is pinned for support purposes doesn't just turn into a bitchfest instead of a source of useful information.

1 hour ago, Fred_M said:

Ofcoure the A+ platform will not be forever supported by a large commercial company, that is not being negative. Product support will stay as long it is commercially profitable. We can extend the lifespan by buying a lot of consoles and games in the coming months/years and keep buying newly released items.

We Atari fans enjoyed the 2600 and 7800 (and other Atari products) since they were released and that will not change 😀

And that won't change with the 2600+/7800+ either.

11 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Presumably, everyone on here is a fan of Atari. If you don't like this particular console, fine. Nobody's forcing you to like, or support it.

Erm.... you do know that Thomas is one of the people behind Stella?? The emulator Atari and Plaion are now using for the 2600+ and 7800+.

You might want to read this 😉

And sorry, but a lot of threads are full of off-topic posts..... yours (and mine!) included 😉

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

Erm.... you do know that Thomas is one of the people behind Stella?? The emulator Atari and Plaion are now using for the 2600+ and 7800+.

And sorry, but a lot of threads are full of off-topic posts..... yours (and mine!) included 😉

Yes. I'm aware of what he's worked on. Shame he'd rather be disruptive than helpful in making this product better.

I'm trying to keep the thread on topic.

11 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

You might want to read this 😉

So what. I'm so tired of folks defending that guy when his behavior on here is awful. 

The amount of nonsense I get to skip by having both those guys on mute is joyful and it's only posts like yours where I'm constantly reminded of them. 

let me guess, they're both arguing over nonsense and thomas said something negative about the 2600+. Close ? lol 

Edited by tradyblix

11 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

This subforum is essentially a support forum for this product, and this specific thread is for intended for information and discussion of the various builds of experimental firmware. Instead of being helpful, or staying on topic, you're just in here complaining and dumping on Atari and this product.

No, I am providing IMO objective information about the limitations of the product. Also, when somebody excepts homebrewers to tailor their games towards the 2600+, I am providing the view from a homebrewer perspective. If that is hurting your feelings about the 2600+ then simply ignore me, please.

BTW: This is not the first time you are trying to censor posts you do not like. I definitely do not like that habit.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

No, I am providing IMO objective information about the limitations of the product.

This is unnecessary, and not relevant to the topic you're posting it in.

5 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Also, when somebody excepts homebrewers to tailor their games towards the 2600+, I am providing the view from a homebrewer perspective.

that's fine, and I don't necessarily disagree with you about that. If homebrewers want to make ultra-secret double probation Ubercarts that only work on the Heavy Sixer and no other versino of the console, they can do what they like. Seems pretty limiting and short sighted, but it's not my place to tell someone else how to make their product (hint hint)

7 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

If that is hurting your feelings about the 2600+ then simply ignore me, please.

BTW: This is not the first time you are trying to censor posts you do not like. I definitely do not like that habit.

Nobody's feelings are hurt. I'm merely trying to keep this thread on topic and ask that you not be disruptive. You've stated your opinions on this console dozens of times. They are well documented at this point.

I'm not trying to "censor" anything. just the opposite. I'm putting your negativity on display for others to make their own judgement. If I was trying to censor you I would just report all your posts to the moderators.

I think it is sad that such personal frustration and bad language is used here. Why not respect each other for their knowledge and opinions. You really don't have to agree on everything. People are different, opinions are different. Atari is just a hobby, it is not life. The are way more important problems in the world 😃

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Now I wonder who is the other one to have this privilege. :) 

He's talking about me, because I also call out his disruptive posting style.

Unlike you, he just likes to make things up and lie all the time about subjects he knows nothing about, and insults people constantly. I'm amazed he's lasted this long here, to be honest.

16 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

This is unnecessary, and not relevant to the topic you're posting it in.

Well, obviously opinions differ here. Besides you, I haven't heard anyone complaining. Not even Ben.

that's fine, and I don't necessarily disagree with you about that. If homebrewers want to make ultra-secret double probation Ubercarts that only work on the Heavy Sixer and no other versino of the console, they can do what they like. Seems pretty limiting and short sighted, but it's not my place to tell someone else how to make their product (hint hint)

I am not making a "product". Homebrewing is solely a labor of love. This is true for the vast majority of (if not all) 2600 homebrewers. 

Which is totally different to the 2600+, which is a product. Nothing wrong with that, but please don't expect homebrewing to adapt to it. 

Nobody's feelings are hurt. I'm merely trying to keep this thread on topic and ask that you not be disruptive. You've stated your opinions on this console dozens of times. They are well documented at this point.

Not everyone is informed as you are. And you are repeating yourself too.

I'm not trying to "censor" anything. just the opposite. I'm putting your negativity on display for others to make their own judgement. If I was trying to censor you I would just report all your posts to the moderators.

I think anyone should be able to talk in a rational matter without being "judged". But I am not afraid of being "judged".

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

I think it is sad that such personal frustration and bad language is used here. Why not respect each other for their knowledge and opinions. You really don't have to agree on everything. People are different, opinions are different. Atari is just a hobby, it is not life. The are way more important problems in the world 😃

There's nothing to respect. Thomas is a holier than thou, always right, I know better than you complainer who hates the 2600+ and uses his privilege as a Stella maintainer to sneer at everyone from an Ivory tower, and the other one is an unhinged maniac who spends his life on here, doesn't like it if other people have opinions or get attention, and makes nasty personal attacks. The latter one is worse, and both of them are constantly causing problems with various other people. 

I ignore them and I only know what goes on because I see it's affects on others, constantly. It's actually amusing. 

Anyway I'm done giving them the attention they crave and it's probably de-railing the topic, But since John especially seems to have carte blanche to get away with a false narrative, I felt I had to speak up momentarily for once. 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

There's nothing to respect. Thomas is a holier than thou, always right, I know better than you complainer who hates the 2600+ and uses his privilege as a Stella maintainer to sneer at everyone from an Ivory tower, and the other one is an unhinged maniac who spends his life on here, doesn't like it if other people have opinions or get attention, and makes nasty personal attacks. The latter one is worse, and both of them are constantly causing problems with various other people. 

I ignore them and I only know what goes on because I see it's affects on others, constantly. It's actually amusing. 

Anyway I'm done giving them the attention they crave and it's probably de-railing the topic, But since John especially seems to have carte blanche to get away with a false narrative, I felt I had to speak up momentarily for once. 

You registered this account in 2017 and then never used it until November 2023. I wonder why that is?

Sock Puppets GIF by Your Happy Workplace

56 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I'm not trying to "censor" anything.

This is all you do on here is try to censor others! You always say you want to keep the thread on topic. You waste more thread by sewing your complaints and comments about others all the time instead of just posting your opinion. You don’t own AtariAge!

These forums are for everyone to post and ask what ever questions they want no matter how many times they ask, and post their own opinions!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tradyblix said:

Wasn't this your TV settings being in the wrong mode tho ? I

1 hour ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

no, it's a PAL vs. NTSC issue

@AtariYMás009

Well, some TVs and more likely monitors have trouble with a 50Hz hdmi input signal. Even in gaming mode they add frames to reach the 60 Hz of the panel and software is doing "optimization". Now you need a game that flickers like hell... let's take Frogger and you optimize the frog away😅

My 3 TVs are fine, one shows the issue twice per year, the others never. My PC monitor is more prone to it, I could spot it there.

So, if you feed those devices a 60 Hz hdmi signal, the problem won't happen.

Once the hdmi output is selectable it will solve these kind of TV issues👍

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DEANJIMMY said:

@AtariYMás009

Well, some TVs and more likely monitors have trouble with a 50Hz hdmi input signal. Even in gaming mode they add frames to reach the 60 Hz of the panel and software is doing "optimization". Now you need a game that flickers like hell... let's take Frogger and you optimize the frog away😅

My 3 TVs are fine, one shows the issue twice per year, the others never. My PC monitor is more prone to it, I could spot it there.

So, if you feed those devices a 60 Hz hdmi signal, the problem won't happen.

Once the hdmi output is selectable it will solve these kind of TV issues👍

I see. So the person reporting issues with Joust might have a PAL 2600 Joust cart (and TV that can't handle it well). Gotcha. That makes sense

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1