IGNORED

New Controller Coupler for Flashback 2 Controllers (Robotron and more!)

Hi everyone, another great community contributor shared one if his Flashback 2 controller couplers so I could test and modify my 2600 CX40 Controller Coupler to insure a snug fit. 

I tried to make something more universal for all joysticks when I discovered is that the FB2 joystick is several millimeters taller than the CX-40 and even the Trooper..  so I took the reverse mounting approach of how the Tropper sockets into the original CX40 joystick and cleaned it up a bit.  

So now we have it!  

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1666444318/atari-2600-flashback-2-joystick

image.thumb.jpeg.1506d0659fcdff584b72728a28b7bf7f.jpeg

• Like 2

As the guinea pig for this experiment, I have to say I'm very happy with the end result!  I put the coupler through its paces with multiple games of T:ME Salvo, Robotron 2084, and RobotWar: 2684.  Both controllers remained secure throughout.  I tend to hold the coupler (and the sticks) like a DualShock / DualSense controller, but I also experimented with different grip styles and placements throughout my play sessions.  I don't think anyone's going to be disappointed here.  The coupler is very sturdy and the padding on the bottom as well as the design of the unit itself prevents slippage.  I'm going to include some videos so you can get a better sense what it's like to use the device.

The first video shows me setting up the coupler.  It also shows off the Flashback 2 joysticks a bit.  (You can loosen and even remove the joystick shafts. :))

Also, I had broken in the coupler at this point so controller insertion (and removal) may prove more difficult for you initially.  (I'm sure 8bitwidgets.com will refine the design over time too!)

The next video shows off the coupler in action.  (Please bear in mind that I had to hold the controller kind of awkwardly to keep what I wanted to in the shot.  Also, I re-tightened the sticks.)

Lastly, here's a video of me removing the joysticks from the coupler.  (The right side of my print can be stubborn at times, but you can see how it easy it is to remove the left.)

I hope that gives everyone a good idea of what the Flashback 2 coupler is like!  I'm very grateful to 8bitWidgets.com for building me a custom solution that suits my needs.  I was apprehensive about sending someone I didn't know a controller that's now hard to find, but they stayed true to their word.  Both my controller and my new coupler arrived undamaged.  I will definitely be buying other couplers from them in the future.  (Thanks again!)

FB2_Coupler_4.thumb.jpg.6aaa3fe16144a59ed090ea46fb9fdc51.jpg

Edited by KainXavier
Fixed a stupid typo. (Sorry Albert!)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KainXavier said:

(I'm sure 8bitwidgets.com will refine the design over time too!)

I do! Player feedback is really important and your results have given me something to iterate on.  Sometimes things seem ok to me but then others identify something and I see their point.   

4 hours ago, KainXavier said:

I have to say I'm very happy with the end result! 

That makes my day!  I'm glad they will allow you to play those games as intended.  I hope in time we might get more homebrew games that could take advantage of this as well opening up more possibilities.  Don't forget Temple of Doom, Riddle of the Sphinx and others out there take advantage of it too.  

• Like 1