IGNORED

Repairing Controller Membranes

Hi All,

I just wanted to share that I was able to repair some bad Intellivision controller membranes using a Circuit Scribe Pen. The silver conductive ink was able to flow over and adhere to the mylar and the traces. It was frustrating at times. I would cover the bad sections of the traces with silver ink then test conductivity with a multimeter to make sure the repair took. What would happen is the circuits would check out fine while the membrane was laid out on the table, but the ink might crack and open short in the folds when you tried to put the controller together. Another thing that would happen is if I laid down too thick of a layer of ink it might smear and short to an adjacent trace when folded. Eventually, I was able to get it to work and I played Donkey Kong, Burgertime, and Mouse Trap for a couple of hours with the repaired membranes without any problems.

Some Tips:

1. Only put down as much ink as you need to fix the circuit.
  2. Let the ink dry thoroughly before folding the membrane and installing it in the controller shell.
  3. Use a digital multimeter that beeps when checking continuity. It's much faster to work when you don't have to stare at the meter while you look for breaks in the circuit.
  4. If (like I experienced with my meter) you have continuity, but too much resistance to make it beep try putting more ink on the trace or try widening the trace if there is room.
  5. If you accidentally dead short to another trace, don't worry, the dry ink is easily scraped off the mylar.

I wonder if putting this pen in a plotter if one could print their own membranes on a durable type of paper?

Anyway, most of you probably knew about these pens, but I just wanted to share my results. I hope it helps.

PS: I got my pen on Amazon and got free shipping because I bundled it with other items I had to order at the time. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, walldog1 said:

I too have done this in the past depending on why the Mylar membrane has failed. I have found that repairs like this in the directional disc area don't last however. That is when it is time to order some new ones from...

I'll keep that in mind. My membranes had the most breaks in the deep folds next to the side buttons. Many other traces looked heavily tarnished or even burned. No trouble with the directional pads yet.