IGNORED

Is it better to play Atari 7800 games with an actual 7800 at the mo...

shane857

The Atari7800 Pro System Core has less support then Stella does so why it has problems, most emulators for it are on Windows, I only found one that on Linux that not Retroarch.
The Atari7800 is a upgrade to the Atari2600 so why not add it to Stella then it would get the support it deserves, because no one is really supporting the emulator... :)

Edited by Spanner
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5

Stella is still being worked on.  A new update was just released less than a week ago.  Also, several of the people that work or have worked on the emulator also post here.  Turning Stella into a multi-system emulator would take a massive amount of work, and I'm guessing it's not something anyone on the team has any interest in doing.

Pro System is just one of several 7800 emulators.  It just happens to be the one Atari / Plaion chose to go with.  Several very talented people are working to improve compatibility.  Based on my own results, I'd say they're doing a pretty great job.

Edit: I should add that I'm not a PAL user though.  I feel for you there.  That said, I've seen a lot of positive feedback with the experimental firmware, and I can personally attest to how much effort raz0red has put into it.

Edited by KainXavier
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Spanner said:

The Atari7800 Pro System Core has less support then Stella does so why it has problems, most emulators for it are on Windows, I only found one that on Linux that not Retroarch.
The Atari7800 is a upgrade to the Atari2600 so why not add it to Stella then it would get the support it deserves, because no one is really supporting the emulator... :)

What specific issues are you referring to with respect to 7800 support on the 2600+?

Thanks,

Chris.

• Like 1

The ProSystem emulator is excellent, I've been using it for years on PC to run some of my favorite A7800 games, before Atari started doing more stuff in recent years with the 7800. The problem is, it's never been used to run cartridges before, so there are likely to be some growing pains. Stella has a few years of running cartridges on the Retron77 behind it, so they have a head start. Though, Plaion is definitely much, much better at supporting their consoles after release than Hyperkin. With the Retron77, it ultimately fell to the community to make builds of Stella for the console, but Plaion is doing their own builds. Since they built the console, this means that it's in the hands of the people who understand the hardware best and will have a better time of adapting the emulator for the console.

I think people having issues with A7800 games on the 2600+ are smart to use an actual 7800 as a fallback. Might as well have a way to play your favorite games until Plaion gets all of the kinks worked out in the new console.

23 hours ago, LS650 said:

I'd much rather the Stella team emulated one console superbly than multiple consoles poorly.

Agreed. I know some people find the M.E.S.S. (Multi Emulator Super System) to be great, but I've always found it to be a mess. (pun intended) I was never able to get it to run a lot of things that it claimed to run, though that may have been user error. It's a beast. Meanwhile, emulators that concentrate on one system only get better over time because the team behind them has less to juggle.

Edited by scifidude79
  • Like 2

On 2/24/2024 at 4:10 PM, raz0red said:

What specific issues are you referring to with respect to 7800 support on the 2600+?

Thanks,

Chris.

I forget to say support for it on Linux, it mainly on Windows, I was trying to see if I could find another emulator for it on Linux, this is the first time I played a 7800 games so do not know what the game would look like if if its colours are wrong, the Sega Master System was more popular because it was Published by Virgin Mastertronic(Richard Branson) a British company, the MS and Mega Drive was not publish by Sega in Europe at the time so why it was more popular then the 7800, I never knew it existed.
Thats why it not in my collection, I never see one in real life and I worked in computer shops and I worked in 3 of them, all I saw was C64, Atari ST or Amigas, I did see a SX-C64 on the shelf and a C128D... :) ... oh and a Tandy TRS80 with built-in disc drives.

Edited by Spanner
  • Confused 1