IGNORED

Emulator to test ComLynx ?

Is there any emulator with ComLynx support ?

I was thinking of an emulator you can launch several instances (with same rom) and able to talk to each other for exemple...

I'm working on a puzzle game and I'd like to add multi players support if I can test it.

Thanks, the Vulkan part made me run away when I found it some months ago but it seems I had to give it a go ;)

Let's see if I'm able to build it for OSX !

Edit: it's a fail and, as usual with CMake, it's such a black box that I don't know why :(
Edit2: I finally found why I wasn't able to build but while everything seems to work (tools update as expected), only display tab hangs :(

Edited by KanedaFr
semi-fail

On 2/21/2024 at 11:01 AM, KanedaFr said:

the Vulkan part

Really! I used to play with Vulkan on the RaspberryPi 400. I wonder if this compiles on the Pi 400?

The serial port of Raspberry Pi's can support weird baudrates :) 

On 2/21/2024 at 10:01 AM, KanedaFr said:

Thanks, the Vulkan part made me run away when I found it some months ago but it seems I had to give it a go ;)

Let's see if I'm able to build it for OSX !

Edit: it's a fail and, as usual with CMake, it's such a black box that I don't know why :(
Edit2: I finally found why I wasn't able to build but while everything seems to work (tools update as expected), only display tab hangs :(

After applying your hints, I could build on MacOS (M1) and it runs.

On 2/25/2024 at 10:02 AM, 42bs said:

After applying your hints, I could build on MacOS (M1) and it runs.

So lucky!

Which version of Vulkan did you use ?

I suspect the last version wasn't the one to use....

I'm still on Intel but I doubt it would be the reason

I'll retry later today, because I really like what I see for now : I'm hungry for more!

CMake Error:
  Xcode 1.5 not supported.
CMake Error: Could not create named generator Xcode

not my day... :(

======

Ok, it doesn't help but for some reason, Vulkan wrongly detects my device properties

imageExtent (93888,1816), which is bigger than max extent (16384,16384)returned by vkGetPhysicalDeviceImageFormatProperties()

and if i select the other one, it's ever worst (20000 pixels width!!)

unfortunately, I'm unable to fix anything, since I learnt about Vulkan 5 days ago :(

Edited by KanedaFr

Wow, you are having 10 5K screens around you? Pretty awsome.

But, yes, I am also lost with these things. If they do not work out of the box. :(

But Xcode 1.5? I have 15.2. How old is your machine?

So I successfully created an XCode project

I found how to build the vkHandyDebug subproject from within XCode

It runs and no longer thinks I have a 100000 pixels wide screen (my record)

...but display window is still dead (black or still garbage)

so, same issue, unfortunately

Edited by KanedaFr

now that I have a XCode project, I'm able to debug and, from what I see, the data is read from the right location(s) on Lynx RAM

so it's not a source data issue

I can also confirm the view.allocationInfo.pMappedData->buffer is correct (ie memcpy didn't bug)

so it's not a destination data issue

So, the problem seems located on the renderer...
I hope it's not on the shader, it's my worst nightmare!

(hopefully I debug my own project, so I KNOW what should be drawn on screen ;) )

Edited by KanedaFr

2 hours ago, KanedaFr said:

now that I have a XCode project, I'm able to debug and, from what I see, the data is read from the right location(s) on Lynx RAM

so it's not a source data issue

I can also confirm the view.allocationInfo.pMappedData->buffer is correct (ie memcpy didn't bug)

so it's not a destination data issue

So, the problem seems located on the renderer...
I hope it's not on the shader, it's my worst nightmare!

(hopefully I debug my own project, so I KNOW what should be drawn on screen ;) )

What does the screen look like?

41 minutes ago, obschan said:

What does the screen look like?

it's never the same...

most of the time full black, mid black or "pink corrupted" or total noise

If I connect 2 screens and switch for one to another, I can corrupt the display non stop....(something different every time, pure "art" like you can see on the zip file)

If that help, I found something strange:

I have a lot of validation errors after the call to VulkanRenderer::prepare_view_compute

For exemple:

VUID-VkShaderModuleCreateInfo-pCode-08740(ERROR / SPEC): msgNum: 115483881 - Validation Error: [ VUID-VkShaderModuleCreateInfo-pCode-08740 ] | MessageID = 0x6e224e9 | vkCreateComputePipelines(): pCreateInfos[0].stage SPIR-V Capability Int16 was declared, but one of the following requirements is required (VkPhysicalDeviceFeatures::shaderInt16). The Vulkan spec states: If pCode is a pointer to SPIR-V code, and pCode declares any of the capabilities listed in the SPIR-V Environment appendix, one of the corresponding requirements must be satisfied (https://vulkan.lunarg.com/doc/view/1.3.268.1/mac/1.3-extensions/vkspec.html#VUID-VkShaderModuleCreateInfo-pCode-08740)
    Objects: 0

while using Vulkan Capability viewer I can confirm shaderInt16 is available.

the same apply for many others "missing" capabilities

corrupted_display.zip

For anyone interested, with the help of @obschan, I finally made it works.

What I did:

- pass all the required features to physical device selector (remove 2/3 of errors)

- force required API version to 1.2 on instance creation (remove the last 1/3 of errors)

- move font and shaders folder on Debug folder (wrongly put on bin folder)

- force the device to my Intel Graphic card using vkConfig (while every demo worked like a charm, vkHandybug dislikes my Radeon Pro 455 ;) but I wasn't able to force the intel card w/o removing the errors first)

I'm now ready for multi players development!  

Edited by KanedaFr
  • Thanks 1

Can you post a diff because, it will make it easier to make these changes.

For example I get these errors though it runs:

VUID-RuntimeSpirv-uniformAndStorageBuffer16BitAccess-06332(ERROR / SPEC): msgNum: 231017936 - Validation Error: [ VUID-RuntimeSpirv-uniformAndStorageBuffer16BitAccess-06332 ] Object 0: handle = 0xf56c9b0000000004, type = VK_OBJECT_TYPE_SHADER_MODULE; | MessageID = 0xdc50dd0 | vkCreateComputePipelines(): pCreateInfos[0].stage SPIR-V contains an 16-bit OpVariable with Uniform Storage Class, but uniformAndStorageBuffer16BitAccess was not enabled

No idea how to fix this.

Edited by 42bs