IGNORED

Sega Game Gear has Officially becomes loss Hardware!!

Gameboy30

This is probably going to be a long post and maybe a rant about how hard it is to fix and to get working a Sega Game Gear as far as buying as is ones and even find Reliable sellers.

Sega Game Gear. Almost impossible to even find a one that I can. repair. For the last two years I bought over a dozen Game Gears and each one of them were unrepairable. 

Lately I bought ones that people say are as is, but it turns out they already opened them and sell them because they too are beyond repair. 

I got more cartridges on the second Game Gear. Then I do My Game Boy. 
I don't understand why such a hardware that has great games becomes loss With bad capacitors and corrosive parts. 

One time I bought a Game Gear that was modified with the LCD screen display. The system Sound didn't work. I opened it up And the job that the seller did with the sodding was horrible. 

The second one attention came off the pad and damaged the whole game gear permanently because this person had put oversized capacitors on, causing the thing not to fully closed properly. He didn't want to refund me because I opened up the system.  But I end up instead. Learning how to install these LCD Game Gear kits on my own. Just by taking the kit he had Out of that system and put it on another system over four years ago. 

Four years ago I would By broken game gears and fix them and it was a shoe in for extra money. Now I wish I had one of them, because now these things are starting impossible to fix. It isn't bad corrosive padding. It's bad power cables. It's bad motherboards that won't stay on or flicker off, Even after you've replaced the capacitors. 

Repairing structure just simply is not good quality in some Sega Game Gear consoles. I spent over $300 worth of gain gears within the last two years of my life. And I've never had a chance to really enjoy the games that I've got,They just been sitting and dust. 

I tried to screen sellers since I've had issues with Game Gears that I opened and already have replacement competitors and still won't work. Ask them whether or not had they opened them. One person got offended and blocked me because I asked that question. Another person who advertised their Game Gear as tested and. working. I received it in the mail and I couldn't barely power it on and he got mad and told me for complaining about it. 

And whenever I've seen people charge $200 for Sega Game Gear consoles, even the ones that are $100 and refurbished, it's just like a full issue because if it isn't trying to find game Gears to save, its sellers that do a poor job at the soldering causing further problems with the foundation of the motherboards in the near future. 

It's just so hard. I'm just tired of emailing people asking for pictures. Some get annoyed with me and blocked me. Some just don't and will not answer you. 

I used to sell modded PS2 S over four years ago. And one person emailed me. After about few years of not selling them at the time. And they told me that you have any more because every time I buy one from other people, they don't be reliable and that things go wrong in that I was the only person around that they never had issues with. Unfortunately, I had to tell him I don't, because COVID and everything else had made everything so high. 

It seemed like the more these things sit around, the more. They get self destructed. The game gears. 

I got over a dozen power boards. From the game Gears that I bought within the last 2 1/2 years. 13 Powerboards. That was at least about $500 within the last few years. 

I mean, it's just like buying drug money, for instance, the more you try to get high. And if you don't get enough, the more you spend, the next thing you know you don't have any money for yourself or other things. 

At this point I want to sing a game gear that I can mod with a controller one port plus the. Retro 6 Kit LCD Screen and vGA out. 
I want to finish this game your project. But man, it's hard to find ones that are in good shape that you can face without no pads, lifting up or any corrosive things.. 

Speaking of corrosive. There are people that might these things and sell them and they don't even clean the board. They just slap on the caps and that's it. And they sell them to these people. And people don't even know what they getting inside. Until they find out something is wrong when they mess with the hardware. 

It's pretty sickening.  All the systems I've owned the Sega Game Gear is The most challenging system ever dealt with in repair. Perhaps if they were cheaper than $50 For one system broken. Then maybe, just maybe. The console would be actually. Worth getting a bunch of in terms of Given a try for a dozen. Not to the expense were all that will be worth about $500 totaling in 2 1/2 years. 

Retro 6 got this kit where you can buy a brand new motherboard for your Game Gear. But here's the caveat on that, to take the parts from a old game gear and know how to advance, they solder these parts to a board on your own. I don't know surface mount solder. I wish I did.. But even with that said, some gave years that I bought. As soon as you open them, surface mount pieces will fly out of the board. That's how bad some of the corrosiveness will be. 

These pictures are just from Google search alone. 

If it isn't the Soldering it's you trying to work work on broken ones and they're far gone as far as the traces that you see. 

Since almost like the second, Game Gear is just like an animal that is a Endangered Species or something. 

I believe if you have a working Game Gear it should be more expensive than ones that are broken because the chances of fixing them is very, very hard. Unless you have the expertise of doing sMD soldering. You're stuck On your look as far as I'm concerned.

Untitled.png

a31rfc0494u51.webp

download (1).jpg

download.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2024 at 2:12 AM, Gameboy30 said:

This is probably going to be a long post and maybe a rant about how hard it is to fix and to get working a Sega Game Gear as far as buying as is ones and even find Reliable sellers.

Sega Game Gear. Almost impossible to even find a one that I can. repair. For the last two years I bought over a dozen Game Gears and each one of them were unrepairable. 

Lately I bought ones that people say are as is, but it turns out they already opened them and sell them because they too are beyond repair. 

I got more cartridges on the second Game Gear. Then I do My Game Boy. 
I don't understand why such a hardware that has great games becomes loss With bad capacitors and corrosive parts. 

One time I bought a Game Gear that was modified with the LCD screen display. The system Sound didn't work. I opened it up And the job that the seller did with the sodding was horrible. 

The second one attention came off the pad and damaged the whole game gear permanently because this person had put oversized capacitors on, causing the thing not to fully closed properly. He didn't want to refund me because I opened up the system.  But I end up instead. Learning how to install these LCD Game Gear kits on my own. Just by taking the kit he had Out of that system and put it on another system over four years ago. 

Four years ago I would By broken game gears and fix them and it was a shoe in for extra money. Now I wish I had one of them, because now these things are starting impossible to fix. It isn't bad corrosive padding. It's bad power cables. It's bad motherboards that won't stay on or flicker off, Even after you've replaced the capacitors. 

Repairing structure just simply is not good quality in some Sega Game Gear consoles. I spent over $300 worth of gain gears within the last two years of my life. And I've never had a chance to really enjoy the games that I've got,They just been sitting and dust. 

I tried to screen sellers since I've had issues with Game Gears that I opened and already have replacement competitors and still won't work. Ask them whether or not had they opened them. One person got offended and blocked me because I asked that question. Another person who advertised their Game Gear as tested and. working. I received it in the mail and I couldn't barely power it on and he got mad and told me for complaining about it. 

And whenever I've seen people charge $200 for Sega Game Gear consoles, even the ones that are $100 and refurbished, it's just like a full issue because if it isn't trying to find game Gears to save, its sellers that do a poor job at the soldering causing further problems with the foundation of the motherboards in the near future. 

It's just so hard. I'm just tired of emailing people asking for pictures. Some get annoyed with me and blocked me. Some just don't and will not answer you. 

I used to sell modded PS2 S over four years ago. And one person emailed me. After about few years of not selling them at the time. And they told me that you have any more because every time I buy one from other people, they don't be reliable and that things go wrong in that I was the only person around that they never had issues with. Unfortunately, I had to tell him I don't, because COVID and everything else had made everything so high. 

It seemed like the more these things sit around, the more. They get self destructed. The game gears. 

I got over a dozen power boards. From the game Gears that I bought within the last 2 1/2 years. 13 Powerboards. That was at least about $500 within the last few years. 

I mean, it's just like buying drug money, for instance, the more you try to get high. And if you don't get enough, the more you spend, the next thing you know you don't have any money for yourself or other things. 

At this point I want to sing a game gear that I can mod with a controller one port plus the. Retro 6 Kit LCD Screen and vGA out. 
I want to finish this game your project. But man, it's hard to find ones that are in good shape that you can face without no pads, lifting up or any corrosive things.. 

Speaking of corrosive. There are people that might these things and sell them and they don't even clean the board. They just slap on the caps and that's it. And they sell them to these people. And people don't even know what they getting inside. Until they find out something is wrong when they mess with the hardware. 

It's pretty sickening.  All the systems I've owned the Sega Game Gear is The most challenging system ever dealt with in repair. Perhaps if they were cheaper than $50 For one system broken. Then maybe, just maybe. The console would be actually. Worth getting a bunch of in terms of Given a try for a dozen. Not to the expense were all that will be worth about $500 totaling in 2 1/2 years. 

Retro 6 got this kit where you can buy a brand new motherboard for your Game Gear. But here's the caveat on that, to take the parts from a old game gear and know how to advance, they solder these parts to a board on your own. I don't know surface mount solder. I wish I did.. But even with that said, some gave years that I bought. As soon as you open them, surface mount pieces will fly out of the board. That's how bad some of the corrosiveness will be. 

These pictures are just from Google search alone. 

If it isn't the Soldering it's you trying to work work on broken ones and they're far gone as far as the traces that you see. 

Since almost like the second, Game Gear is just like an animal that is a Endangered Species or something. 

I believe if you have a working Game Gear it should be more expensive than ones that are broken because the chances of fixing them is very, very hard. Unless you have the expertise of doing sMD soldering. You're stuck On your look as far as I'm concerned.

Untitled.png

a31rfc0494u51.webp

download (1).jpg

download.jpg

I've had a few GGs sent to me for screen upgrades after the owner had them recapped by Estarland or someone on ebay that specializes in GG recaps that look pretty much like what you have shown. While I'm by no means an expert with SMD stuff, I do have a hot air station that I use to at least try an remove most SMD stuff with it. But I actually hand solder the SMD components into place. So far I've been lucky with the GGs sent in to me. But then I haven't done a bunch of them. Maybe about 20 - 30 over the years? But yes recaps don't and shouldn't look like the examples you have shown above.

This was the last one I just did weekend before last that I shipped back out to the owner last week.

This is how it was working when I first receive it. Usual white random lines on the screen and no audio at all.

gg_precap_nonworking.thumb.jpg.3a6fa8575ec3e42e80e1eab0abbd29c8.jpg

Replaced the caps on the audio board first. This is what it looked like after getting the old caps off but before cleaning the pads.

gg_audbrd_yuck.thumb.jpg.ec8b43c03fd4ba9033955edb6e942af0.jpg

Not horrible but that C7 cap did a number on the negative side... but it did clean up well.

gg_audbrd_cleaned.thumb.jpg.8da26b460ca43e601e9908fed3e60650.jpg

And looked much better with new caps on it.

gg_audbrd_newcaps.thumb.jpg.3f0c82cb837d2a4792268f38e6eb910f.jpg

Using standard electrolytics on the system is totally fine and actually what was on the system originally, just in a square case housing on each cap. I just reform the leads in a similar manner so they sit under the cap. You can see what I mean in this pic of the caps on the right hand side of this same GG.

gg_newcaps_left.thumb.jpg.d7c5a145e704d09ff544f7fbda87c3aa.jpg

After the new caps it was back to working stock condition again at which point a new LCD was installed. Then the it was all translated into a new case shell with a new glass lens. 

Also Retrosix aren't the only ones that offer a complete replacement PCB setup. McWill actually came up with one of his own that seems to replace everything with one of new HD IPS screens already installed and nearly drop in ready but it does require having to remove and swap over the ASICs. I've not purchased one of these yet as they are pricey kits. But... just letting you know..

There is another...

https://console5.com/store/mcwill-game-gear-full-mod-kit-for-sega-game-gear-640x480-ips-screen.html

• 1 month later...

I feel your pain. I got 2 Game Gears, Many years ago I recapped both of them using thru-hole caps (I did not have SMD caps at the time). One died again for some reason, the other one is fine so far.