IGNORED

The Peripheral Expansion Box - fan and card order

Gordo

Hello all

So I just picked up a PEB. I have a couple basic questions. First off is there any method or proper order for the cards? I know the main controller card goes in slot one. I also have a disk drive card, a 32K card and a RS232 card.

Does it matter what slot I put them in?

Also does anyone have a recommended cooling fan to buy to replace the noisy one?

Many thanks

The Interface card generally goes in slot 1, furthest from the floppy drive opening. The disk controller should go closer to the floppy drive. Other than that, you can place them as you see fit. Back in the day a large 12 volt fan that was about the size of the one in the unit, only quieter, was the way to go. But many today just leave it loud as it adds to the "nostalgic" feeling. 

• Like 2

Yeah I like the original fan noise. Normally the flex card goes in the first slot next to the power area as originally some have a ground screw in the back connector part.

The floppy controller was designed to go in the slot against the drive bay but I normally leave it in the next slot over so I have a tiny bit of room to unplug the cable without removing the floppy drive.

Of course doing that means if you filling up all 8 slots like I do then you need to put a card into the 8th slot that doesn't have anything coming out the back, so I usually put my old Horizon or PGram card there.

• Like 1

I got sick of the noise from the P-Box so bought the Shift838 P-box card and replaced it with a PC case.

That PC case has

TIPI (PI 3+),

Corcomp Disk Drive card

One 3.5 Floppy drive

SAM 1Meg Card

Speech Card with Shift838 adaptor

Shift838 Interface Card and cable.

350 Watt Power supply

The case has 3 120mm silent fans which makes it super silent and very cool to run.

WIN_20230510_13_05_25_Pro.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I have my cards arranged as follows:

1 - Flex cable interface

2 - 32K memory expansion

7 - RS-232 interface 

8 - Corcomp DS/DD disk controller

…this way it balances the cards out side-to-side, but I think I should move the RS-232 to slot 6 and the Corcomp controller to slot 7 to make it easier to remove the floppy cable if needed when removing the controller card.

But come to think of it… do you think it’s better to give space between each card to promote better air flow and produce less heat between them? If so the card arrangement would be:

1 - Flex cable interface

3 - 32K memory expansion

5 - RS-232 interface 

7 - Corcomp DS/DD disk controller

Then there is that elusive UCSD Pascal card… 😊😊