IGNORED

Tutorial Recommendation for Programming in "C"

DevBR

Hello everybody!

I'm developing games for Atari using Batari, however, talking to one of the forum contributors in another topic, I read about programming games in "C".

Could anyone recommend a tutorial that teaches me how to create my game development environment for Atari in "C"?

From what I could understand, programming in "C" in this case will enable the IF/ELSE structure among other facilities at the time of programming.

Thank you very much in advance!

There is a new kid on the block for C programming: cc2600

It is not pure ANSI C. But rather optimized for the 2600. I have played with its big brother cc7800. There is some examples available as a starting point.

19 minutes ago, splendidnut said:

What is your level of programming knowledge?

Advanced.

I started to work with programming a long time ago... more than 20 years.

But I never work with "C", that's why I asked for a tutorial that would teach me how to install the development environment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevBR said:

From what I could understand, programming in "C" in this case will enable the IF/ELSE structure among other facilities at the time of programming.

I asked about programming knowledge / experience because there seems to be some confusion here.  For what it's worth, batariBasic has IF/ELSE.  Anything else I talked about in regards to 'C' programming in the BruceLee thread (local variables / parameter passing) may only apply to my own compiler, 'Neolithic C'.  I'm sorry if there was any confusion due to that.

Wrt to cc2600, there is no tutorial at the moment. Before starting to write some code, I highly recommend to have a deep look at all the examples, like armor_ambush_reloaded, or example_shmup.c for the multisprite engine. If you can understand how these work, you are ready to make your own game.

1 hour ago, splendidnut said:

I asked about programming knowledge / experience because there seems to be some confusion here.  For what it's worth, batariBasic has IF/ELSE.  Anything else I talked about in regards to 'C' programming in the BruceLee thread (local variables / parameter passing) may only apply to my own compiler, 'Neolithic C'.  I'm sorry if there was any confusion due to that.

No problem! I believe I ended up giving a wrong example (IF/ELSE). 🙂

But that's ok, I finished to set up the development environment and I compiled a simple example in "C".

Thank you for your help!

53 minutes ago, bsteux said:

Wrt to cc2600, there is no tutorial at the moment. Before starting to write some code, I highly recommend to have a deep look at all the examples, like armor_ambush_reloaded, or example_shmup.c for the multisprite engine. If you can understand how these work, you are ready to make your own game.

I appreciate all the help you gave me bsteux and with it I managed to compile the first .C

I'll try to create a tutorial on how to install it "step by step" and maybe post it here on the forum.

Best regards! 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DevBR said:

I appreciate all the help you gave me bsteux and with it I managed to compile the first .C

I'll try to create a tutorial on how to install it "step by step" and maybe post it here on the forum.

Best regards! 🙂

Your help will be greatly appreciated, since tutorials for cc2600 are really missing today... Any contribution is really welcome.

• Like 1