IGNORED

SONY PLAYSTATION 2 - RUN BACKUP DISC FORMAT

Onlyfordj

As of today, is it possible to run your game backups in disc format, which work exactly the same as an original game on a Console Playstation 2 no modified?

Insert the games and play, nothing more.

Talking on another retro forum some people said yes it is possible, but most people said no.

I am confused.

Edited by Onlyfordj

Just burning a PS2 game ISO onto a DVD and putting it in your console will not work as I believe there are important things like the disc's region code and a checksum burned onto the inner ring of the game discs where a consumer-grade disc burner cannot access. Because of this any homemade backup copy of a game will fail the console's security check and will not play. (Modchips force the console to either bypass this check altogether or force feed it a valid code no matter what's on the disc.)

I have not tested this for myself but there is a product out there called Swap Magic (available here, though this was just the first Google result you might get a better deal elsewhere) that allows you to play region-locked and backed up games without modding your console. In order to use Swap Magic however you will need to either take the disc tray front cover off of your PS2 so you can access the manual drive eject in order to replace the Swap Magic disc with your game or you will need to replace the top cover of your console with one that has a flip-top lid to bypass opening the drive. The Swap Magic discs contain the necessary region code and checksum that you'd find on a legitimate game of your region and after reading this information the data on the disc then tell the PS2 console to stop reading any further so you can swap out the discs. Pressing the console's eject button will cause the system to reset however which is why you need to access the discs without triggering the eject function. It's kind of a pain in the ass, which is why I own Swap Magic but have never actually used it, but it apparently works and allows you to play backup games without installing a modchip.

• Like 1

On 29/2/2024 at 1:43, Radio F Software said:

Simplemente grabar el ISO de un juego de PS2 en un DVD y colocarlo en tu consola no funcionará, ya que creo que hay cosas importantes como el código de región del disco y una suma de verificación grabada en el anillo interior de los discos del juego, donde una grabadora de discos de consumo no puede. acceso. Debido a esto, cualquier copia de seguridad casera de un juego no pasará el control de seguridad de la consola y no funcionará. (Los modchips obligan a la consola a omitir esta verificación por completo o forzar la alimentación de un código válido sin importar lo que haya en el disco).

No lo he probado por mí mismo, pero existe un producto llamado Swap Magic ( disponible aquí , aunque este fue solo el primer resultado de Google, es posible que obtengas una mejor oferta en otro lugar) que te permite jugar juegos con copia de seguridad y bloqueo regional sin Modificando tu consola. Sin embargo, para usar Swap Magic necesitarás quitar la cubierta frontal de la bandeja del disco de tu PS2 para poder acceder a la expulsión manual de la unidad y reemplazar el disco Swap Magic con tu juego o tendrás que reemplazar la cubierta superior. de su consola con uno que tenga una tapa abatible para evitar la apertura de la unidad. Los discos Swap Magic contienen el código de región necesario y la suma de verificación que encontrarás en un juego legítimo de tu región y, después de leer esta información, los datos del disco le indican a la consola PS2 que deje de leer para que puedas intercambiar los discos. . Sin embargo, presionar el botón de expulsión de la consola hará que el sistema se reinicie, por lo que necesita acceder a los discos sin activar la función de expulsión. Es un poco molesto, por eso tengo Swap Magic pero nunca lo he usado, pero aparentemente funciona y te permite jugar juegos de respaldo sin instalar un modchip.

Hello, Thank you very much for your reply. :)
But... I have to say... that... THERE IS A POSSIBILITY TO RUN A BACKUP ON A PLAYSTATION 2 WITHOUT CHIP.
In my hands I have a backup of a Playstation 2 game... I insert it in my Playstation 2 slim... and it works !!!!
I have no chip installed... I just insert the backup in my console and it runs it exactly the same as an original.
If I make a copy of this backup.... it also runs on my console.
This backup has been given to me by a person with whom I argued and I claimed that it was not possible.

So I apologize, he is right.

It's a very strange thing, but there is the possibility to play with backups... insert the backup disk and nothing else... I don't understand it... but that's how it is. 🧐

I have to do more research... I have programming knowledge in other platforms and this discovery I have to investigate...

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Yeah, I don't believe this 😂If this was true the method would be talked about more and everyone would be doing it. 

Yes, I understand. 

This weekend I make a video to demonstrate that I have a backup of a playstation 2 game and it works on the console without chip, on a console without any modification.

I put that backup working on a backwards compatible Playstation 3... and it doesn't work.

On a PC emulator (PCSX2) the backup does work.

For the moment I am surprised... 

Edit: Please if you can not talk about backups, please tell me some moderator and I will close the backups topic.
In another forum I have already been warned about this.

Edited by Onlyfordj

On 3/1/2024 at 6:27 AM, Onlyfordj said:

Hello, Thank you very much for your reply. :)
But... I have to say... that... THERE IS A POSSIBILITY TO RUN A BACKUP ON A PLAYSTATION 2 WITHOUT CHIP.
In my hands I have a backup of a Playstation 2 game... I insert it in my Playstation 2 slim... and it works !!!!

I wonder if some specific titles will work.

I too have an original Slim PS 2, and while I have one copied game that I purchased at a flea market, it is not recognized and so it will not boot-up.

I do not recall the name of the game; my PS 2 has been in storage since I moved 2.5 years ago. 

The other alternative is that if you bought the system used, it may have been moded by a previous owner. My original PlayStation console had a mod chip added sometime before I bought it. 

13 hours ago, jhd said:

I wonder if some specific titles will work.

I too have an original Slim PS 2, and while I have one copied game that I purchased at a flea market, it is not recognized and so it will not boot-up.

I do not recall the name of the game; my PS 2 has been in storage since I moved 2.5 years ago. 

The other alternative is that if you bought the system used, it may have been moded by a previous owner. My original PlayStation console had a mod chip added sometime before I bought it. 

Hello, good morning. :)
I have contacted the person who sent me the backup game that runs without my Playstation 2 Slim console being modified. This person has provided me with another backup of a different game than the one he gave me... and it also runs on my console.

My Playstation 2 Slim console does not have a chip... when I make my backups... they do not work, only the ones provided by this contact works.

I have made a video where the backups work... this afternoon (I will try) I will put the link so that you can see it.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe this?

https://github.com/CTurt/FreeDVDBoot

PlayStation 2 DVD Player Exploit. This allows you to burn your own PlayStation 2 homebrew discs and play them on an unmodified console as seen in the demo video. With uLaunchELF as the initial program, users can include multiple homebrew programs on the same disc.

For technical details please refer to my blog post.

Read from here if you have a Slim PS2.

Read from here if you have a Phat PS2.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1