IGNORED

SB16 emulator

Most soundcard drivers support SB16 emulation out of the box, you should check that first.  :)
But it's not really all that useful if you're trying to run MS-DOS games in Windows XP.

Personally, I say screw emulation.

Find some nice outdated hardware(a P90 should do nicely) with a nice ISA SoundBlaster, stuff it in a box, and build a REAL MS-DOS machine.

It's what I did. Mine was free, too, because I had leftover parts from past upgrades.

Alternatively, DOSbox is coming along nicely, and though it hasn't yet progressed to the ability to run DPMI (protected mode) games, it runs quite a good deal of oldies. I'm just waiting for it to kick some Duke Nukem 3D and Redneck Rampage. :-) And it's a current project, so these things will get supported in time.

Also, XP will run quite a few games out of the box as well, even on modern hardware. You just have to right-click on the EXE, go to Properties, click the Compatibility tab, and set the compatibility options. A lot of games work that way. A lot don't, too, particularily games that use VESA localbus video -- there just ain't no modern cards that still support VLB, and DisplayDoctor was only designed to give VLB compatibility to cards that predate it.

Me, I DO have a P233 as a second system for auxiliary surfing, but it's got really crappy on-board video (won't even do 1024x768 in anything higher than 256 colours), and I don't have a halfway decent VLB-supporting video card to plug in, so it's a bit of a writeoff.

Me, I DO have a P233 as a second system for auxiliary surfing, but it's got really crappy on-board video (won't even do 1024x768 in anything higher than 256 colours), and I don't have a halfway decent VLB-supporting video card to plug in, so it's a bit of a writeoff.

Mine used to have a crpapy 2meg Virge(which was actually fine for most purposes on that machine).

It went out and I replaced it with a 16meg TNT.

PCI video cards work just fine.

You don't need to use the VESA bus, just support the VESA instructions(which are completely diffrent than the VESA Local Bus).

Which everything does, as far as I know.

Yes,

I have an old AMD k6-200 that I stuffed into the first Ivory Tower full tower case I have. It has 64 megs or ram a basic 24x CD-Rom drive, an STB Velocity 4400 PCI (TNT 1 board), and then finally for the music and sound I have an actual ISA 16-bit SB16 (First release model) complete with the ASP chip upgrade, and for the music side, I have a lovely Roland LAPC-1 board installed. Wing Commander never sounded better!!!

Oh...forgot to mention the latest and only OS installed on it is none other than the late, great, and still the best... MSDOS 6.22.

However, there is still another solutioin for you. I came across a program once not all that long ago. This program basically adds virtual SB16 emulation to any applet you open in the command emulator "DOS box". You just have to right click on the program and select to open it with this emulated SB16 program active. It works really really well. Many games still can see right through it, but some others have no clue. That program I believe is called VDMS.

Google for it and you should find what you seek.

;)

Man, do I feel old... I'm still using an SB16 as my sound card. I've had this card since 386's were state of the art, and it's always worked wonderfully. New cards are cheap like borscht these days, but this thing has done absolutely everything I've ever wanted it to, and is probably the most compatible sound card in history. I don't play PC games, and I'm only using cheap speakers, so I'm not likely to gain anything from 3D sound or anything like that. It's hard to justify spending $30 when a new card really won't do much for me.

Of course, if I ever upgrade my computer, I'll probably have to give up this whole ISA thing :(

--Zero

I've been using VDMsound and I've gotten every single on of my old CD-Rom games working except for Rebel Assault. The 7th Guest and the 11th hour, which need VESA wont ever work. But I can play Rebel Assault 2 in a decresed resolution

The Lawnmower Man booted up, but died. But thats more than I've been able to get the game to do since I had a 486 with DOS, and Windows 3.1

VSCUMM is also great

I really wish they'd release The 7th Guest and The 11th Hour on a modern system so that I may one day play them again, without buying an ancient computer

I really wish they'd release The 7th Guest and The 11th Hour on a modern system so that I may one day play them again, without buying an ancient computer

Yeah, but if they re-release them, they'll probably want you to pay $40 for them again.

You can get an old 486 at the thrift stores around here for about $5.

--Zero

First thing i did was right click and do the combatibilty thing. That got the old MIDI's running nice and smooth. Then I downloaded VDMSound and the sounds work, until gameplay actually comes up, then the game crashes. The game I'm talking about it Tyrian2000 so if anyone wants to try it out themselves. Anyone got an idea??

First thing i did was right click and do the combatibilty thing. That got the old MIDI's running nice and smooth. Then I downloaded VDMSound and the sounds work, until gameplay actually comes up, then the game crashes. The game I'm talking about it Tyrian2000 so if anyone wants to try it out themselves. Anyone got an idea??
Tyrian's a real bitch about sound.

I have problems with it on my MS-DOS machine, and always have because I've never had a perfectly SoundBlaster-compatible audio card. It was originally a clone that wasn't QUITE up to snuff, and it's currently a SoundBlaster PCI128, because it's what I could find and it has decent SB16 emulation drivers.

I really need to change it out for an ISA card.

ARGH! I have one installed on my system, but I forget the name. It just pops a little icon into your control panel, and spits out log files every time you run a dos prog... It works GREAT, too! I'll try to remember to write down all the info I have on it... I MIGHT even have an install package on a dying hard drive.... I could probably pop that drive into one of my many pentiums, and nab the file before I get a DISK I/O ERROR lockup.

Well, I must assume your lack of success comes from you having a more fucked up comp than me, if that's possible. Of course, having bootlegged Windows XP, I kept a close eye on what I allowed to be "updated", so the emulator works perfectly for... Wolfenstein, and a couple other games that aren't DOOM.

Alternatively, DOSbox is coming along nicely, and though it hasn't yet progressed to the ability to run DPMI (protected mode) games, it runs quite a good deal of oldies.  I'm just waiting for it to kick some Duke Nukem 3D and Redneck Rampage. :-)  And it's a current project, so these things will get supported in time.

It's closer than you think, the latest version supports protected mode (poorly...)

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.ph...D=1365&letter=D

and more interestingly to me,

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.ph...D=1413&letter=T

I'm actually really impressed with Dosbox. It's played a bunch of old games perfectly without any weird configuration changes or anything. My only complaint is that it's still pretty slow. According to them, a 1.7 GHz processor will emulate a 25 MHz 386... but I think that's a bit a pessimistic approximation. Whatever the case may be, my 400 MHz system has played everything fairly slow.

Considering how young the project is though, and the fact that they haven't really done any optimization, I'm quite impressed.

--Zero

I found this great site that helps you get Blood, Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior up and running on XP and Win2000(using VDMSound). I am sure someone here will find it usefull, so here's the link.

http://www.deathmask.net/buildxp/

Unfortunately I couldn’t get the sound to work in Blood on my system. Since my Win2000 insists on putting all my PCI devices on IRQ 9. And it can't be used by DOS games for some unknown reason ... :sad:

I also discovered that "Home of the underdogs" has got a working version of Blood available for download. So now I can finally enjoy a bug free (more or less anyway) version of Blood. This games is really great...

http://www.the-underdogs.org/