IGNORED

Birth of a new BBS - the origin story

Lastic

On 3/29/2024 at 2:35 AM, Lastic said:

Thanks a lot, I will try again but as I stated once I start using HSMODEM with any settings, the BBS detects the caller but will no longer pickup.
The Wimodem has a connected user but I never get any prompt anymore from the BBS to logon.

I understand. Just try that change to DRVIN.PRG and see what happens. If nothing else, you'll have ruled it out.

It's been a "hell of a day."

I went in this Saturday morning to swap my all-in-one ISP modem/router/wifi thing for a modem-only.
The lady at the shop was unable to register the new modem and told me she would log a support ticket but I could go ahead an leave with the new modem.
12 hours later and I still ain't got a functioning ISP modem, I called them earlier and 2nd line has to take care of it but then the guy says I can't call them since they don't work on weekends and bank holidays.
So I asked him , ok  you can't reach them by phone, do they work at all or am I going to have to wait until Tuesday when I need my internet to be able to work ?
He assured me they would look into it , it just takes 48 hours , not really convinced here, but well a good moment to prepare the final things on the BBS.

Luckily I can "survive" using a 4G hotspot but it does show how dependant we have become of the Web.
On top of that my cell reception is so bad inside my appartment I need to do Voice over Wifi to be able to get calls ...
It's going to be a quiet weekend :)

First demoscene release of Revision 2024 (currently happening) will be added also, a new SNDH by 505 and m0dmate

3 hours ago, DarkLord said:

I understand. Just try that change to DRVIN.PRG and see what happens. If nothing else, you'll have ruled it out.

I tried every possibility, it is driving me insane.

DRVIN
FASTINT NO and YES
EXOPEN OFF

RSVE N
REPL U (6x times)
DTR Y
RBL 256
TBL 256

Both with the Wimodem 232 PRO and the UDS-100, on Syncterm I get  2 characters and the screen freezes.
The Wimodem or the UDS-100 have a connected user , the BBS shows Detecting caller and that's where it stays stuck.

AT&K1, AT&C1, even tried using these options on the modems, no luck.
No Init-string in Michtron .

I even went so far and installed HSMODEM 6 , same results.

The only way I can get Michtron to Detect a Caller and send a "Press RETURN" prompt is by NOT using the HSMODEM drivers ??

And the final hurdles have been completed.

The last FileArea has been added.
There is a news bulletin (only one and static)
Made a little change to the custom prompt, those who have tested/logged on before will notice what I'm referring to.

If only those ISP 2nd line guys would activate my new ISP modem, then I would be able to let other people have a look but for now , no Internet (except via my 4G hotspot)

Posted (edited)

This mornings observations

I have removed the WimodemPRO from the equation, the BBS is running on the UDS-100.
Still no Internet but these checks were done on the LAN IP from another PC on my LAN
(since that's the only thing I have currently LAN)

Since installing my own router transfer speeds have gone up a bit , past the 512 cps barrier but stuck around 700 cps

I decided to try the BBS.TOS hack again which @Techman proposed to change the hardcoded 9600 limit to 19200 baud in BBS.TOS
I had tried this already with the Wimodem PRO but the BBS would detect a caller but never send a prompt.

I'm happy to report that it works on the UDS-100 and transferspeeds have gone up.
In summary

Xcontrol 19200 baud, RTS/CTS flow control
UDS set at 19200 baud

Ymodem and Ymodem-G still seem to only getting 580 cps, no clue why they perform so bad. (I guess they do a lot more negotiation)
X-modem , X-modem CRC, Xmodem-1K speeds have gone up from 800 cps to 1300-1400 cps.
(even when connecting at 9600 or 2400 baud)

These number are off-course on my Local Network from a PC connected via Wifi (my own Wifi now) using Syncterm.
Will have to wait until the ISP fixes my modem and I have Internet again to test these again when connecting to the BBS from the Internet.

And yeah, no HSMODEM drivers ...

Edited by Lastic
clarification

Final final hurdles well more of nice to have since I'm bored 😂

I created a Python telnet script that now gets the ACTIVITY.BBS file from the BBS and scrapes it for "New user".
Currently I haven't enhanced it since ... no Internet ... so it is just printing it on the screen.

The Python scripts resides on the NanoPi who also monitors my public IP .

I have a user who only has a certain userflag.
If he logs on , he gets dropped into sysopshell , skipping all the menus, and performs a list of the ACTIVITY.BBS logfile which is just plain ASCII logging all major actions happening in Michtron.
That file is then scraped for New user log entries .

(NOTE ALL these entries are tests from myself )

New user (just looking) Uninterested

New user (just looking) Passingby

New user (just looking) Random

New user registered: Tester

11 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Okay, sorry nothing has panned out.  :(

Anyway, make sure and post when your 'Net service is restored so we can keep testing.

Thanks!  :)

Well looking on the bright-side of no Internet, some things have panned out

The BBS has been completed.
It is running succesfully at 19200 baud vs the stock 9600 baud limit in Michtron 3.0
HSMODEM and WimodemPRO have been canned until further notice

Script to scrape for new users has been made and tested.

I even went ahead and made a little BBS Promo intro.PRG thingie (very basic).

10 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Little busy at the moment, will hop on a bit later and report back. Thanks.  :)

Good morning, just missed you , I heard the DVD drive spinning up.

15 hours ago, Lastic said:

Good morning, just missed you , I heard the DVD drive spinning up.

Hehehe, I can remember a couple of hard drives that I've owned (way back when) that sounded

like jet aircraft warming up whenever they were turned on.   :)

I logged in with SyncTerm. I actually called twice. I ended the first call a little prematurely because

I went back and double-checked on SyncTerm being set to 19200.

I downloaded 2 files, one with Xmodem and one with Ymodem. Both topped out around 512cps or so.

I need to do some lower speed downloads with SyncTerm here, with Xmodem and Ymodem and see what

download speeds I get at 19200.

I'll get that info back here soon.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The only thing I can derive is

128 bytes block sizes are getting the 1400 cps speeds.
1K block sizes are stuck between 512-580 cps speeds

Edited by Lastic

Just a reminder for the Atari BBS community zoom chat for Sunday, April 7th 2024 at 3pm Eastern.

For more information and the proposed agenda, go to http://www.ataribbs.com/zoomchat

This is also the link to the zoom meeting itself (it will automatically forward from 15 minutes before until four hours after the meeting starts).

As you well know, the agenda is always subject to change and the whims of whoever actually attends, but what is planned is...

- Followup discussions on AtariAge BBS Guru Club threads.
    - FANSI (ANSI editor for the ST) install and brief demo.
    - How to use a real dial-up modem to call an internet BBS...
    - ... using a new toy! The Viking DLE-200B Two-Way Line Simulator - Get yours here -> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004PXK314?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I apologize for the late notice but still I hope to see you there!

So I asked a fellow German ABBUC member to try the Downloads and also to get an first impression of the BBS by a non-Sysop user.
I never know whether a user would actually like the way I have set it up.

His Xmodem transfers (not 1K) were 1800 cps and his Ymodem transfer was around 560 cps (both with Syncterm)
so that looks to be the same results that I am getting .

Looks like I still have some work to do.

A file I uploaded today to the BBS has the correct date on the MegaSTe and Michtron as far as I can tell.

However if the ZIP file is downloaded it has a date of 10-Jan-2043.
(so Michtron is VERY Y2K able build for the future 😁 )

The contents of the ZIP file are correct , my BBS ad from  02-Mar-2024 and the actual files of the ZIP are dated on the 5th of April 2024 like they should be.

Ymodem transfer speed of a 199 Kb file, 5min46 seconds at 586 cps.
Xmodem (not 1K block sizes) around 1800 cps .

An interesting chat once again and the sheer energy has given me a lot of inspiration.

• BUSY and MAINTENANCE messages are first thing I need to implement, got some good ideas now from the Chat on how to accomplish it
  • Urgently cleanup the LASTCALLERS file and remove all my test calls
  • Upload all releases from PsychoHack 2024
  • Currently all user registrating are validated immediately, not sure if I will keep it this way but I also need to find a way to track when NewUsers have logged on
  • and many more ideas that are stirring up in my mind

Todays updates

1.     Registered users now get 2 hours a day instead of the default 1 hour.
  2.     Added Atari ST BBSes to the logoff sequence ( will add a seperate entry to the main menu later to add ALL Atari BBSes but haven't worked out how I want to implement this)
  3.     Added all releases from the PsychoHack 2024 demo-event
  4.     Added some more message topics as a base and a getting-a-feeling of what is the best way to approach this
  5.     Changed the Newsbulletin to reflect current uploads
  6.     Updated the static events list

@DarkLord you have found another bug in my Graffiti Wall 🤣 thank you for your perseverance , I love it .
I will need to cleanup this stuff , but for now I hang up my Sysop hat and focus on preparing for my trip to Germany this weekend.
Otherwise I will keep tinkering and tinkering and by the time I leave this Friday I might have broken the BBS again .

On 4/10/2024 at 1:45 PM, Lastic said:

@DarkLord you have found another bug in my Graffiti Wall 🤣 thank you for your perseverance , I love it .
I will need to cleanup this stuff , but for now I hang up my Sysop hat and focus on preparing for my trip to Germany this weekend.
Otherwise I will keep tinkering and tinkering and by the time I leave this Friday I might have broken the BBS again .

Hahaha, no problem. I'm usually the bug.  :)

Now go, forget this stuff (only for a while) and have a great time in Germany. Don't forget - we want pictures!  :D

On 4/13/2024 at 3:00 AM, DarkLord said:

Hahaha, no problem. I'm usually the bug.  :)

Now go, forget this stuff (only for a while) and have a great time in Germany. Don't forget - we want pictures!  :D

Still in Paderborn, Germany , leaving in 2 hours on my trip back to Belgium.

My initial idea was to upload all pictures to my BBS but I think I will just create a report there in the Message Thread and create a forum post here with all the pictures.
Too much pictures which need context.

I had the Rob O'Hara book laying on my table at the RetroComputer Festival in Paderborn .
(I read it on the trains towards Paderborn)  https://www.robohara.com/Commodork/chapter.htm
It's basically his whole experiences with BBSes and Wares from a C64 point of view but still very relatable to anybody heavily involved with BBSing in his younger years.

Some people approached me about the book and shared their youth experiences with BBSing
so I showed them Syncterm and Fujinet (I had an 800XE with me) and my BBS and I might have sparked a few people to check out Telnet BBSes again.

Initially missed the deadline for the reservation for GEMTOS  2024 in France, I did get a reservation thanks to the organizer so first weekend of May I hope to spread the word around Telnet BBSes in France.

Since all my photos are almost 600Mb in total, please find attached all the pictures I took at the RetroComputerFestical last weekend in the Heinz Nixdorf Museum in Paderborn.

The report I will write on my BBS with another video there to download.

The attachments consist of

EXHIBITIONS.ZIP
The more interesting things that were exhibitioned by the people attending the RCF

HNF.ZIP
Are the pictures I took from the 2 floors of the Museum on my very 2 hour short tour there. The Museum itself is really worth a longer visit.

RCF.ZIP
These are some pictures of the venue itself and the ABBUC members who attended
it and where there at the ABBUC stand.

Exhibitions.zip HNF.zip RCF.zip

Okay, some great pictures there! Loved the acoustic modem. I'm also a big fan of those old style IBM keyboards that weigh about 10-15 pounds

and are near indestructible. I love that responsive feel and aggressive click.  :)

Unfortunately, I could not get HNF.ZIP to uncompress. Windows 10 here kept saying it was an invalid file...  :(

1 hour ago, DarkLord said:

Okay, some great pictures there! Loved the acoustic modem. I'm also a big fan of those old style IBM keyboards that weigh about 10-15 pounds

and are near indestructible. I love that responsive feel and aggressive click.  :)

Unfortunately, I could not get HNF.ZIP to uncompress. Windows 10 here kept saying it was an invalid file...  :(

Yes indeed I just downloaded it myself and weird, the original on my PC does extract correctly so here is a new upload of it.

HNF.zip