IGNORED

Rausch und Haub

dhe

Rausch und Haub was the producers of:

Of the book: Assembler-Kurs II

Reading through that, I found they also produced:

Basic Graphics Expansion

Sound Utilities.

There was also a well known program called Partisan Village, which is referenced in the book.

Does anyone have copies of these?

• Like 2

Wasn't the BASIC graphics Expansion called Torpedo BASIC? The manual for it is on the IUC site, it is on WHT, and I have one as well. Here's the disk and the manual for it. The third disk has an excerpt from the source code of Partisan Village (VILLAGEX) on it (along with a lot of other unrelated E/A tutorials and source code).

torpedo.dsk Torpedo Basic (Hagera).pdf

ea-prg-1.dsk

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I've been thinking a bit on this one too. ISTR that the source code for Partisan Village also appeared in an Assembler collection done by TI Revue or as an Assembly feature in CK magazine. I'll have to dig my issues of those out and have a look. . .

• Thanks 1

I tried out TORPEDO BASIC using XB2.9 G.E.M. and found that it would get hung up while loading. After some analysis, I found that TORPEDO BASIC runs using an interrupt routine, and that the interrupt routine is started up with AORG >83C4. This would be OK using GEM, except that the interrupt routine uses subroutines loaded with CALL INIT. The assembly loader in GEM is adapted from the MiniMemory loader. It overwrites memory locations loaded with CALL INIT, then when the assembly code has been loaded, those memory locations are restored to the expected values provided by CALL INIT. But the AORG starts the interrupt routine before the loader is finished, and so it crashes.

I modified TORPEDOX so instead of starting up automatically, you have to type CALL LINK("X") to start it up.

CALL LOAD("DSK1.TORPEDOX")

CALL LINK("X")

TORPEDOX

The GIF below shows why you might want to use XB2.9 for this.

TORPEDO.GIF.51f079e698abc1c93bcaac4c1a08edfe.GIF

The manual is written in German, so I only have a rough idea of what additional capabilities are in TORPEDO BASIC.

Is this a useful tool, or just a curiosity from the past?

• Like 5

@Ksarul was doing me a favor, I'm working with a friend to translate Rausch's two assembly language books from German to English.

Each of the books came with diskette, programming exercises were given in the book and one set of solutions was given with the diskette. Those two diskettes are the Holy Grail that I am looking for.

Partisan Village source code is used in some of the example, that would be a great find also.

• Like 1

I made a few small tweaks to my patch for TORPEDOX. Now it starts automatically just like the original, without the need for CALL LINK("X")

Here is the modified patch:

AORG >F000                 this is where my interrupt routine will be loaded

C @HX045B,@>20F6     when >20F6 is >045B then the CALL INIT code has been restored and it is safe to start the real interrupt routine
               JNE HX045B                   not equal, so just go back
               MOV @HXA206,@>83C4     load the address of the real interrupt routine
HX045B    B *R11
HXA206    DATA >A206                   address of TORPEDO interrupt routine

AORG >83C4
               DATA >F000

TORPEDOX

It takes about 123 seconds to load in XB, and about 6 seconds to load in XB2.9 G.E.M.

I see there is code in high memory. It may be that a large XB program will overwrite this and cause trouble.

Edited by senior_falcon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3