IGNORED

QuadTari question

BillDMatt

I can't seem to find an answer it it's description.  Basically my issue is  my standard CX-40 joystick, fits very tight into the port.  so when removing it you really have to pull it out, and I'm always worried one day I'm going to bend some of those pins.   The problem is it's my favorite joystick, it was refurbished and it really responds well to quick movements like in Ms. Pacman games like that.    but when I want to swap out for the paddles or my Sega Genesis controller I always pause out of concern because its in there tight.  

Would having a QuadTari hooked up to the left port and then plugging in my paddles,  Sega and my standard CX-40 allow me to use any of these controllers as I need them? 

Thanks for any help. 

The quick and dirty "fix" is to get a controller extension cable.

Either you remove the risk of damaging the console by plugging/unplugging at the cable end instead, or you reduce the risk of damage by plugging/unplugging a better fitting extension cable at the console port.

Close examination of the joystick plug may show some place where the outer part of the plug is dragging on the inner part of the socket. In that case, you might be able to whittle away the offending material.

If the problem is more directly related to the contacts, you could also consider replacing the joystick cable.

Determining the root cause of the problem may suggest some other way to address the issue.

(I don't know how/if the Quadtari supports other controller types.)

Edited by BigO
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, BillDMatt said:

Would having a QuadTari hooked up to the left port and then plugging in my paddles,  Sega and my standard CX-40 allow me to use any of these controllers as I need them? 

No. There's an FAQ on the QuadTari website that should clear things up, but basically the problem here is you're assuming that the 2600 would "see" everything plugged into the QuadTari as being plugged into the left port, which isn't the case. For games that aren't written specifically for the QuadTari, port 1 equals the left port, port 2 equals the right port and ports 3 and 4 don't exist.

And the whole thing is kind of moot anyway because the QuadTari doesn't support the paddles.

An extension cable is a better solution to your problem if you don't want to replace your joystick cable.

• Like 1

got one from Retro-Bit  the Genesis extender, works nice maybe a slight bit not as tight on extender sight as I would like it, but still does the job.   Works flawlessly with the CX-40 and paddles but doesn't work with the Hyperkin Trooper, which I found to be odd.   otherwise fairly happy.    There are cheap enough I think I'll try another off brand to see how that fits and if it will work with the Hyperkin     

thanks again everyone.