IGNORED

Anyone here for a Atari ST/Atari 16-bit Mini? What should it cost and contain for you to buy it?

Giles N

The 2600+ seemed to stimulate quite some interest here on AA. The threads prior to launch and after launch are some of most-viewed that I’ve seen in my time being here.

It’s threads following its Firmware updates gets regular visitations. 

The GameStation seemed to stir up interest and enthusiasm.

The Atari 400Mini seems to get quite some attention, and we’re still pre-launch.

In industry, - from what I hear -, from

inception to release, it can take from 6 month to a year or more for things to finally happen.

My simple questions - again to get gamer-interest up in the light and transparently revealed to Atari (and cooperating producers):

1) Are you interested in a Atari ST/Atari 16-bit Mini or ‘Plus or ‘Station?

2) What should it have as to hardware for you to buy it? Should it more like 400Mini, More like GameStation, more like 2600+, - or some combination of these features? What should be backwards-compatible with original hardware etc, what should be updated to 2024 standards? Mention anything that comes to your mind.

3) What games should it include, made by Atari or under license or from deals with the homebrew-community?

4) What should it cost for you to buy it?

5) Whatever things I didn’t think about, but came to your mind, which you’d like to voice.

Edited by Giles N

13 hours ago, Giles N said:

The 2600+ seemed to stimulate quite some interest here on AA. The threads prior to launch and after launch are some of most-viewed that I’ve seen in my time being here.

It’s threads following its Firmware updates gets regular visitations. 

The GameStation seemed to stir up interest and enthusiasm.

The Atari 400Mini seems to get quite some attention, and we’re still pre-launch.

In industry, - from what I hear -, from

inception to release, it can take from 6 month to a year or more for things to finally happen.

My simple questions - again to get gamer-interest up in the light and transparently revealed to Atari (and cooperating producers):

2) What should it have as to hardware for you to buy it? Should it more like 400Mini, More like GameStation, more like 2600+, - or some combination of these features? What should be backwards-compatible with original hardware etc, what should be updated to 2024 standards? Mention anything that comes to your mind.

3) What games should it include, made by Atari or under license or from deals with the homebrew-community?

5) Whatever things I didn’t think about, but came to your mind, which you’d like to voice.

Full ST/STE and hopefully Falcon emulation incl. ST-Low and ST-High resolution

It should look like a ST Mini

I dont care about the installed games, because I will play my favorite games via USB

100 - 150 Dollar/Euro

Nice to have: Support for a USB Floppy Drive, MIDI

Edited by Flashback
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok - anyone here who have sn opinion on which Atari ST games should be included to make it of interest to old and new potential buyers?

Which games would ‘represent’ the Atari ST (/Falcon) in a good manner?

I'd like something that didn't look like a toy, model or a little ornament.
I'd like it to look like a computer, either similar to the original design with a working keyboard, or if that's not feasible maybe something smaller but based on the appearance on the Mega ST, with SD card slot instead of a drive.  Just no fake keyboards - please!

I'm not too bothered what games are included as standard, so long as it can run your own stuff - but it would need a selection of TOS versions and support ST, STE, TT and Falcon hardware.

Edited by THX-1138
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Many who have collected ST games already, be familiar with them, would perhaps find it a second issue or just a sort of bonus if any inbult games were there.

I wouid believe many other consumers would like some defining games, either for the ST or the era, to be built-in to be natural.

Here are some I find interesting, or at least of potentisl interest:

Beyond the Ice Palace

Buggy Boy

Ikari Warriors

Lethal Xcess

Lotus Turbo 2

Lotus Turbo 3

Nebulus

Stunt Car Racer

Titus the Fox

Star Raiders (ST)

Vroom

Zero 5

- - -

Perhaps certain license-bound titles, could be obtained with a double deal: Ikari Warriors inbuilt for ST and re-run cart for the 2600+.

This is just an example. Guess creative license deals would be

what people work hard to obtain.

Anyway, just wanted to mention it.

Edited by Giles N

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

There's already a topic about this

Ok, thanks for informing me, - perhaps I should ask Al to move this thread to within the already existing ST-Mini thread, or to under Atari ST? Or should I just leave it here, since you linked, and interested people can continue from there?

Edited by Giles N

Posted (edited)

@Albert

Do we need to move this thread to Atari ST/Falcon, - or just let this one stand, and take the remainder of the discussions under the previously began thread?

…and, btw, do you want an Atari ST mini 😁 ?

Edited by Giles N

Throwing my two cents into the discussion, here are my responses.  They are:

- Yes, it would be cool to see.

- I would like to see a full-sized version with a functional keyboard.  But, realistically, a mini version a la THE400 mini would be okay.

- Not sure, but definitely it should have 20 to 25 pre-loaded games with ways to add more it.

- $100

- Definitely this needs to be able to work for the whole ST range.  Also, if this were to come out, support for the TT and Falcon would be a nice touch, too.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hwlngmad said:

- I would like to see a full-sized version with a functional keyboard.  But, realistically, a mini version a la THE400 mini would be okay.

If they could sell a Mega ST-styled USB keyboard and Mouse, then I would be happy to plug it into an ST-mini

• Like 2

The software will always be the problem as I doubt Atari own much of it. Personally I think the Atari shone early on (when it's games were often ported poorly to the Amiga) and suffered later in it's life (when Amiga games were often ported poorly to it) so mainly focusing on the early stuff is the way to go. Trying to secure Neochrome and The BIG Demo would tickle most old hand's nostalgia bones. The early discovery and power pack games were a decent selection. No idea if Atari still have the licences for them but there was good stuff there like Gauntlet II, Carrier Command, Eliminator and Starglider in there. I have it in my head that mine had Super Sprint in it too, I think the packs varied, but ST Super Sprint is the best home version of the game by far. Other stuff, The FTL stuff if you could secure it would be a no brainer (Oids and Dungeon Master). Other than that it's gonna be the stuff that the Atari did well that they can get a license for.

EDIT - Looks like the packs varied from region to region, no doubt due to regional licenses. https://www.atarimania.com/pgelstsoft.awp?system=S&type=G&publisher=4570&search=80.97.99.107.&step=25 

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, juansolo said:

Other than that it's gonna be the stuff that the Atari did well that they can get a license for.

First, «Beware to enter this thread as it linger in the twilight-zone of living or dead threads.
You tread here at your own risk; you may be caught in the very act of NecroBumping!!!» (insert echo here.)

—-

If that intro made no sense whatsoever, check recent threads on Forums—>General.

— 

As to what you say:

If Atari releases an ST-Mini it’s very likely that it’ll be an emulation console either like the 400Mini, or like a 400Mini but with more additional stuff.

Anyway, that would make it a very hard sell unless at least 25 (or more, preferably more), games were built-in.

Why shouldn’t Atari license these for use with such a product, if they found price-deals that made it all meaningful to pull of?

Atari need more than short-term money, they need to be recognized and remembered for a bit more than Arcades from 1977-1983 and the 2600. They cannot only stay there forever.

I’m not saying they don’t need the necessary short-term income (somewhat self-explanatory), only that also need more than that to get some broader attention. 

It isn’t unusual to do licensing. 

It isn’t impossible for Atari to do licensing.

It isn’t even impossible for Atari to ask demo-makers or homebrewers for free permission to use their stuff giving due credit.

Of course, the final question for Atari would be: will they make money on it?

Which would bring one to the question: how?

That question may in turn be resolved in several ways; in the details of the contracts of all contractors involved.

Posted (edited)
On 3/4/2024 at 7:55 PM, Hwlngmad said:

- Not sure, but definitely it should have 20 to 25 pre-loaded games with ways to add more it.

Indeed!!

Let them define the era and the computer(s) - even it’s later legacy if it’ll suit the crowds!

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1