IGNORED

Reading Atari formatted hard drive (SD card) on PC

Hi I’m Jon from Ohio. In the 90s I had 2 Atari Falcons (which now I highly regret selling) This is my first post here. 

I recently acquired a 14MB Mega ST and the main hard drive is an SD card. So I went to install MiNT on it and I put a network driver in the start up which is apparently not compatible with the ST (requires 020) and now my boot up is stuck. Not sure exactly what to do. If I take the SD card out and put it in a PC (or Mac) will I be able to remove that file or is there an application that I can use to do that?

Edited by atarmiga

It's worth a try.   But the ST is more "flexible" with the FAT format than the PC was,  so if the drive was formatted on an ST it may or may not be readable by Windows.   You might be able to attach it to an ST emulator though and read it that way.

Welcome new guy and fellow Ohioan!

Just to clarify... what are all the expansions on that Mega ST?  Do you know off hand what the TOS version was?  Or which HD Driver you're using?  (HDDriver, ICD's drivers, etc).

Depending on that, you might have other options to bypass that file in the auto folder so you can remove it, or create a boot floppy that will also get you around it, since that's the actual goal here.

And when it comes to "PC" it's generally assumed you mean "Windows based" because Linux actually does have some other options for mounting the image natively.  Anyway, let me know and I'll see what else we can do to help.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tillek said:

Welcome new guy and fellow Ohioan!

Just to clarify... what are all the expansions on that Mega ST?  Do you know off hand what the TOS version was?  Or which HD Driver you're using?  (HDDriver, ICD's drivers, etc).

Depending on that, you might have other options to bypass that file in the auto folder so you can remove it, or create a boot floppy that will also get you around it, since that's the actual goal here.

And when it comes to "PC" it's generally assumed you mean "Windows based" because Linux actually does have some other options for mounting the image natively.  Anyway, let me know and I'll see what else we can do to help.

So here is a short video of bootup. The expansions that I know of are NetUSB and the Gotek. Obviously has some kind of SD card adapter inside of it as well. No floppy drive installed. I have windows and a Linux based computers. 

Edited by atarmiga
Add to description

3 hours ago, zzip said:

It's worth a try.   But the ST is more "flexible" with the FAT format than the PC was,  so if the drive was formatted on an ST it may or may not be readable by Windows.   You might be able to attach it to an ST emulator though and read it that way.

So watching and pausing my own video helped. I saw the hold down shift for options and I did and was able to skip booting into MiNT. Was able to remove those files and then ran into a bigger problem. Anyone know what this means?

IMG_9086.jpg

If this really is a 14 mb machine and not 4mb, then you at least have to have some memory expansion and the boot screen looks like TOS 2.06 at least (so unless it's a Mega STE and not a Mega ST, you have something else in there for that as well).

If you can get a version of SysInfo (to see what's in there) and perhaps UIP Tool (which will let you drag and drop files from the PC to the ST using the NetUSB and the PC's web browser (or FTP client) on there, that can help us a bit.  Also, clarifying the processor and memory and specific machine type.  If you have 4mb and not 14, for example, MiNT is going to be problematic at best.

Here is a link to an image of SysInfo that should work with the Gotek (scroll down a bit to where someone actually posts it).
https://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3853

And UIP Tool (and documentation)

https://bitbucket.org/sqward/uip-tools/src/master/

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Tillek said:

If this really is a 14 mb machine and not 4mb, then you at least have to have some memory expansion and the boot screen looks like TOS 2.06 at least (so unless it's a Mega STE and not a Mega ST, you have something else in there for that as well).

If you can get a version of SysInfo (to see what's in there) and perhaps UIP Tool (which will let you drag and drop files from the PC to the ST using the NetUSB and the PC's web browser (or FTP client) on there, that can help us a bit.  Also, clarifying the processor and memory and specific machine type.  If you have 4mb and not 14, for example, MiNT is going to be problematic at best.

Here is a link to an image of SysInfo that should work with the Gotek (scroll down a bit to where someone actually posts it).
https://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3853

And UIP Tool (and documentation)

https://bitbucket.org/sqward/uip-tools/src/master/

Thanks for your response. So when I bought this and had it shipped from Texas I was told it is a Mega ST4 with 14mb ram. The 14mb upgrade was a big selling point since I knew I wanted to run MiNT. Anyway, it seems it got quite jarred around in the shipping process because some of the ports were loose and came out and I had to deal with that. One of the first things I noticed was when it booted up it said 4096 after running the memory test (first pic). I remember when I had my Falcons (both with 14MB), they would show the correct amount of RAM at the boot test. The seller suggested I run sysinfo but I couldn't find it anywhere on the drive so I downloaded the first version I found and ran it, unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the entire screen because now I can't. (pic 2). Then he had me download a newer version he found. I think it was ver 8.xx if I recall correctly. (pic 3) This version actually showed 14MB, but the free ram is only showing 3427Kb, which can't be right. I just tried running it again and I keep getting TOS error #35. (pic 4). On the D: drive he also had a bunch of games on there... I have tried running a few of them and I either get this error (pic 5), or they just load up to a black screen. I am really starting to think that this got damaged during shipping. Also to answer your other question, MiNT was not run on this machine or confirmed to work by the previous owner. 

IMG_9093.jpg

IMG_9078.JPG

IMG_9079.JPG

IMG_9094.jpg

IMG_9088.JPG

Edited by atarmiga

11 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Have you tried holding down <control> just after your HDDriver software boots, thus

bypassing the AUTO folder?

Just a thought...

Thanks, that worked, but it was SHIFT. ;)

10 hours ago, atarmiga said:

Thanks, that worked, but it was SHIFT. ;)

Odd, it's <control> here with HDDriver v11.xx that bypasses everything (ACC's, etc), including the AUTO folder.

2 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Odd, it's <control> here with HDDriver v11.xx that bypasses everything (ACC's, etc), including the AUTO folder.

Seems to depend on the TOS version and perhaps the HDDriver too.

Someone should compile a doc file.... I'll assign that homework assignment to you. :P  Get it completed before the Atari BBS Community Zoom Chat tomorrow... k thx bye.

So I still have a couple remaining questions... sorry.

Is this a Mega ST or Mega STE?  Asking because now that we're sure it's TOS 2.06, that isn't normal for a Mega ST and there must be some sort of upgrade for that. (It requires a decoder at least)

Also, since we're sure that it thinks there is 14 mb memory, there has to be some kind of memory expansion... that isn't working properly because it only finds 4mb.

A picture of the machine wouldn't hurt.  Internal pics would help a lot more.  You're booting it... so whatever is wrong, I'm sure it can be fixed.  We just need to know what specifically we're dealing with.

(Just to clarify, from what I saw from the SysInfo, I'm guessing you have a Mega ST with mods that give you the memory and TOS 2.06 and knowing the specific mods, we might be able to loop in the guys who made those mods and get help).

14 hours ago, Tillek said:

So I still have a couple remaining questions... sorry.

Is this a Mega ST or Mega STE?  Asking because now that we're sure it's TOS 2.06, that isn't normal for a Mega ST and there must be some sort of upgrade for that. (It requires a decoder at least)

Also, since we're sure that it thinks there is 14 mb memory, there has to be some kind of memory expansion... that isn't working properly because it only finds 4mb.

A picture of the machine wouldn't hurt.  Internal pics would help a lot more.  You're booting it... so whatever is wrong, I'm sure it can be fixed.  We just need to know what specifically we're dealing with.

Here are some pictures. 

IMG_9098.jpg

IMG_9096.jpg

IMG_9097.jpg

IMG_9099.jpg

IMG_9100.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tillek said:

Seems to depend on the TOS version and perhaps the HDDriver too.

Someone should compile a doc file.... I'll assign that homework assignment to you. :P  Get it completed before the Atari BBS Community Zoom Chat tomorrow... k thx bye.

Haven't had a chance to do anything remotely like that. Just got home a few minutes ago so didn't get to attend the meeting at all. :(

Here, with my TOS v2.06 equipped Mega ST, it's and HDDriver v11.xx, it's <control>

With my TOS 2.06 equipped Mega STe and HDDriver v11.xx, it's <control>

With my TOS v3.06 equipped STacy and HDDriver v11.xx, it's <control>

When I get a chance I'll try it with compatibility mode on my STacy (TOS v1.4).

1 hour ago, DarkLord said:

Haven't had a chance to do anything remotely like that. Just got home a few minutes ago so didn't get to attend the meeting at all. :(

Here, with my TOS v2.06 equipped Mega ST, it's and HDDriver v11.xx, it's <control>

With my TOS 2.06 equipped Mega STe and HDDriver v11.xx, it's <control>

With my TOS v3.06 equipped STacy and HDDriver v11.xx, it's <control>

When I get a chance I'll try it with compatibility mode on my STacy (TOS v1.4).

No worries... kind of an inside joke about how our IT Director at work talks to us.

But yeah, it was interesting... we left it at him contacting the guy who made the mod to see about driver files.  He has the contact info so we'll plan one of our famous working sessions after that.

I'll fill you in when I'm a bit more awake and we'll get him squared away.  Sorry friend... but I think you missed a good one.  Full of ST goodness.  The Red Headed Step Children took the field this day!