IGNORED

[CLOSED] 2024 Lynx High Score Club: Round 2 - Pit-Fighter and Scooternia

Atari Lynx High Score Club

HSC rules

This round we’ll be playing a game never before challenged in many years of high score hunts! Possibly for good reason! But I swear to God somebody asked for this, so we get PITFIGHTER! Hey, it's as close as we'll get to Mortal Kombat on the Lynx. At least until Carl finishes Ultra Vortek, or the team working on Mortal Kombat finishes that...

We are also celebrating @LordKraken's double win at the Atari Homebrew Awards by playing a masterwork of scaling, Scooternia! Plus the awesome music will help us recover from... whatever the Pit Fighter background noise is.

Round Over: Monday, April 1, 12:00am International Date Line West

Pit-Fighter

Manual / instructions / discussion: Manual

Settings - None, just start! Make sure you don't continue once your 6 initial credits run out - it's easy to do accidentally. If that happens, take a screenshot and post it - just don't score any more points.

HSC Record: None yet!

Description: Beat down some very questionable fighters for fun and profit! It's really, really dumb but pretty fun when you get the hang of it.

Medal Thresholds:

Platinum Medal: Get the highest score!

Gold Medal: Make it to Match 10 and the final room!

Silver Medal: Beat Heavy Metal and make it to Match 7!

Bronze Medal: Beat Angel and make it to Match 4!

Scores:

1. Your name here!

2. Your name here!

3. Your name here!

4. Your name here!

5. Your name here!

Scooternia

To celebrate @LordKraken's achievements in homebrew in the 2024 Atari Homebrew Awards, we will play a game from the 2022 game jam, Scooternia! Roll through the city streets on your not-officially-endorsed-by-Razor scooter and try to make it as far as you can before you crash.

Manual / instructions / discussion: 

Download link: https://ancientworld.itch.io/scooternia

Or buy physical: https://k-retro.com/homebrew-games/178-lynxjam-2022-millennial-games.html

Settings: N/A, just take off, eh?

HSC Record: First year!

Description: Try to make it as far as you can without crashing!

Medal Thresholds:

Platinum Medal: Score the most in a game!

Gold Medal: Reach 100 points!

Silver Medal: Reach 70 points!

Bronze Medal: Reach 40 points!

Scores:

1. Your name here!

2. Your name here!

3. Your name here!

4. Your name here!

5. Your name here!

* Achieved bonus points

Current season point standings:

Name Total Total Retail Total Indie

Any corrections please post. Please put your score in text in your post please to make my life a little easier. Thanks for joining us!

• Like 3

While I was setting thresholds for this, I beat the game. I had to continue once to do it. The final boss isn't too bad but the two chainmen are really hard to get past - they soaked up five more credits!

IMG_7081.thumb.jpeg.c5079f8994eab77dab1dc47f24561040.jpeg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MichaG said:

Pit-Fighter    62010 - don't know if I will ever play it again...
Scooternia    100

20240303_135405.thumb.jpg.f683f5a3c46f899f105f0bd687509df1.jpg

20240303_133506.thumb.jpg.2dbe85706d37c636de81bfbc4b038207.jpg

Solid bronze! There is no shame in setting boundaries, haha. Although it does get better the more you play it. Or maybe that's the Stockholm syndrome.

• Haha 1

Manual / instructions / discussion: Manual

Settings - None, just start! Make sure you don't continue once your 6 initial credits run out - it's easy to do accidentally. If that happens, take a screenshot and post it - just don't score any more points.

I want to make sure I'm understanding this. Once your 6 initial credits run out I cannot find a way to continue.

The only way it is easy to continue is between credits. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JagChris said:

I want to make sure I'm understanding this. Once your 6 initial credits run out I cannot find a way to continue.

The only way it is easy to continue is between credits. 

I am not sure what I did but I continued after my credits went to zero and they refilled.

Assuming the version of Scooternia from the Millenial Games cartridge will work, my score is 129. Unfortunately due to the game's ridiculousness with the end game, my last attempt at a jump was late and it caused the score screen to disappear.

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

Assuming the version of Scooternia from the Millenial Games cartridge will work, my score is 129. Unfortunately due to the game's ridiculousness with the end game, my last attempt at a jump was late and it caused the score screen to disappear.

Yes, that version is good! I have definitely accidentally started new games unintentionally a lot. I had to steel myself on my last score to not hit any buttons after I died, haha.

21 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

For Pit Fighter, I scored 226,410. I do not understand how to beat Angel. I hit her one time and then I am on the ground.

Who are you playing as? I find that only Buzz has the range needed to get through the game. Ty and Kato theoretically should be able to do well with their greater agility and speed but their range is shorter and that means death.

I was stuck at Angel for a long time but then got a good rhythm. The secret is pushing her (and every other opponent, really) into the lower-right corner and letting the crazy lady with the knife attack her from one side while you attack from the other. That was pretty much my one strategy for the game, come to think of it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2024 at 11:50 PM, jgkspsx said:

Who are you playing as? I find that only Buzz has the range needed to get through the game. Ty and Kato theoretically should be able to do well with their greater agility and speed but their range is shorter and that means death.

I was stuck at Angel for a long time but then got a good rhythm. The secret is pushing her (and every other opponent, really) into the lower-right corner and letting the crazy lady with the knife attack her from one side while you attack from the other. That was pretty much my one strategy for the game, come to think of it.

I think I was playing as Buzz. The problem was that she countered my very first hit almost every time. Everybody else I could do decent combos on, but not her. Her counterattack was way overpowered.

• Sad 1

I have a little bit of a history with Pit Fighter.. About a decade or more ago I bought my first Lynx and Pit Fighter with it. 

A couple days later I was going to go over to my sister's and stay the weekend and spend time with my nephew. I was kind of excited he was little at the time and I wanted to show him the Lynx with Pit Fighter. I packed everything up clothes and Lynx for the weekend into my backpack. While at work that day someone stole my backpack right out from under my nose. So I never got the chance to play that with my nephew at that time.

Later on a friend sent me as a condolence  another Lynx which is just unbelievable. However that window of opportunity at that time was gone. It wasn't able to  replace Pit Fighter right away and the Lynx needed a new flex circuit and screen. By the time the opportunity came around to recreate possibly that scenario again my nephew was too old. His father who is a trendy eventually taught him to dislike anything over 6 weeks old.

The original Pit Fighter was stolen along with the Lynx it was in. But I still have the packaging from it and the original manual in great condition. While reading the manual for this competition I am reminded of all this.

I hate that thief. Not just for the material stuff that he stole, my clothes, backpack and my Lynx. But I hate him for the opportunity he stole that I'll never get back.

• Sad 2

I keep having trouble with the whip me beat me chick.

The more I play Pit Fighter the more there seems to be to it. More personality than I initially thought. In my opinion I don't think the game is quite as terrible as has been made out It's not fantastic but...

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I poured a lot of time into it to try to set fair levels for the competition, and I was very pleasantly surprised. It is certainly not a GOOD game but it is a pretty fun game.

Regardless of what @LordKraken says I really love Scooternia. The music is some of the best on Lynx and the collision detection seems fine to me.

I'm sad more people aren't joining us, but what can you do...

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 5:06 AM, jeremiahjt said:

hello, thanks for reporting that, The game from the jam is just that, a jam game, but a much refine version is on the list :)

So I assume you tried to jump but the game registered it as a skip for the game over screen, correct?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LordKraken said:

hello, thanks for reporting that, The game from the jam is just that, a jam game, but a much refine version is on the list :)

So I assume you tried to jump but the game registered it as a skip for the game over screen, correct?

Yes. I was late with the jump, and it skipped the screen so I could not get a picture.

• Sad 1