IGNORED

Anthony's BIG Adventure

" 'Anthony's BIG Adventure' is a story about a duck named Anthony Duckie, whom is after the town bully Walter Wolf who has stolen the town's supply of ice cream & held himself up in the ice cream factory. You infiltrate the factory & confront Walter to retrieve the town's supply of ice cream, but confronting Walter will be no easy task as he is ready to keep you from obtaining the stolen ice cream. Your mission is to defeat Walter Wolf & save the town's supply of ice cream; although peril & uncertainty surrounds, how the story ends is up to you."

This particular project is a 'labor of love'. It originally was set to be a standard PC game with side scrolling including all the modern bells & whistles. Unfortunately, my hard drive crashed & me being too prideful I backed up none of the original data & lost EVERYTHING. This incident took place back in late 2009 & had taken roughly a year & a half to achieve a post-beta build which was suitable for distribution at that time. Fast forward nearly fifteen years later, I decided to restart the project & put it on the Atari 2600 instead(This project is being developed in the batari Basic language using the VisualbB toolkit).

DEVELOPMENT JOURNAL

03/02/2024 - It has been nearly six months into development, which started on 09/24/2023 & has achieved pre-alpha status(code was compiled at 1:50pm CST). I have attached the animation rendering screenshots of the two main characters (Anthony Duckie & Walter Wolf), as well as the promotional poster for the original game.

03/27/2024 - Six months into development & am currently in pre-alpha. I essentially had to re-write a portion of my source code & compiled it on 03/26/2024 at 4:30PM CST. It still contains a lot of glitches & bugs, so once I have a more stable build of the game, I will be able to present a 'gameplay video'. 

04/11/2024 - The game still contains many bugs but was stable enough to *finally* test, it was compiled on 04/11/2024 at 12:18PM CST. The title screen appears at startup - pressing the 'fire button' on the joystick will start the game, the enemy character dashing towards the player while throwing rocks at the player. The player is able to launch the same ammo but it contains flicker & player movement is accessible. The sprites have color(Anthony Duckie is yellow & Walter Wolf is dark grey) but are glitchy & the playfield has color but is cut off through the center slightly. There is no sound & the score/lives panel does not appear(This is the first stable & playable build compiled as prior builds would glitch out & crash moments into gameplay after the title screen). 

04/13/2024 - In-game screenshots have been attached. **Pre-Alpha Build #4/Alpha Build 0.99.8: Sprites now properly appear on screen - no animation + playfield corrected, otherwise same stats as pre-alpha build #3. The ROM size is 32K, was compiled on 04/12/2024 at 12:06AM CST.**

04/15/2024 - Game Trailer #1 is up on YouTube! Here is the link to the video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-cJy2m-yTc&pp=ygUXQW50aG9ueSdzIEJpZyBBZHZlbnR1cmU%3D

04/20/2024 - Alpha Build: Sprites have color + animation & have collision detection with SOUND, the score/lives panel does not appear, player/enemy movement is slowed down slightly, the playfield is visible with color & when an enemy/player fires ammo it still contains flicker. **The ROM size remains at 32K & was compiled on 04/20/2024 at 12:30PM CST.**

anthonybgadvent.jpg

duck1.thumb.jpg.007189df9dd1951805b16a0209e2ff2f.jpgwolf1.thumb.jpg.e7b891eaa8cde520ce0f4bef5eb5a531.jpg

gameplay1.thumb.jpg.abf7fa138b978c92321ae132b8852882.jpggameplay3.thumb.jpg.5c6bece9bf38f3954846359e660d4499.jpg

Edited by phillip_roberts
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...