IGNORED

homemade Joyboard controller article

amidarman

Back when the Joyboard controller came out (1983-ish), there was a magazine article on how to make your own joyboard controller.  I don't know if it was in any mainstream magazines or some some hobbyist mag like Radio Electronics or Popular Mechanics.  Does anybody recall such an article?

I know the article you're talking about, but I just did a bunch of searches and didn't come up with anything.  I vaguely recall it might even have been talked about here on AtariAge a while ago.

I remember you could send away for the blueprints / schematics, which I did as a kid.  Sadly, I never ended up building it, and eventually threw them away.  Wish I still had them...

Found the article I remember -- not sure if it's same one you were thinking of?  Electronic Fun, September 1983, Vol 1 Num 11.  Like I mentioned, I had the blueprints and everything but sadly threw them away back in the late 80's.  From what I remember most or all of the parts came from Radio Shack, if it helps...

IMG_4449.jpg

IMG_4450.jpg

IMG_4451.jpg

One more note.  In the index it says it was made by Charles Johnson.  Wonder if he's still around and has a copy of the plans?  Might be hard to track him down with such a common name like that though....

Yep, figured it was a long shot.  There's really nothing to a joyboard -- it's just a joystick in a different package.

If it were me, I'd (1) cut a circular piece of plywood, (2) attach a rubber bumper in the center on the back, and (3) attach a Datasoft Le Stick (which detects tilt) in the center on front -- and you've got yourself a stew.  Bonus: it will support way, way more weight than the old Atari joyboard by Amiga can....