IGNORED

Steamboat 3 (WIP)

alfredtdk

Steamboat 3 (provisional title) will be different from the previous ones, it will no longer be a shooting game but rather a game about collecting cargo, boxes containing items, which will be worth points. The shark will be the antagonist, you will temporarily repel it just by approaching it, which will each time cost you fewer points in your score.
This will be the theme of the story, more or less, as the development of the game progresses, other things will possibly change.
In this primordial version (with simple graphics and without many elements or colors on the screen) you can interact with the cargo or the shark's fin.
There are constant random sounds, which may irritate the user initially, I recommend lowering the volume when playing.
This sound will change in the future in new compilations of the source code and be replaced by something more pleasant to the ears. Good fun.

Captura de tela em 2024-03-05 01-44-59.png

Steamboat_3_Wip.bas.bin

Edited by alfredtdk
  • Like 5

I like this new direction for this game. Shooters are fun, but this has way more potential!

Just brainstorming here:
A fuel meter might be a good addition since steamboats require the burning of coal, wood, or oil to boil the water to produce the steam.

OR you have a pressure gauge, since boiler explosions are associated with steamboat disasters.

-- or both! 🤪

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/5/2024 at 2:25 PM, 8bitPoet said:

I like this new direction for this game. Shooters are fun, but this has way more potential!

Just brainstorming here:
A fuel meter might be a good addition since steamboats require the burning of coal, wood, or oil to boil the water to produce the steam.

OR you have a pressure gauge, since boiler explosions are associated with steamboat disasters.

-- or both! 🤪

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Barnstorming is currently the main source of inspiration for the creation of this third title in the Steamboat series.
I'm trying to apply the same concept of using the playing field to compose the body of the vessel, increasing its width due to the grid restriction of 8 pixels.
You just need to understand how to combine this, in this kind of symbiosis, a perfect synchrony between sprite and playfield.
Below is an example of what the concept of the vessel's width would look like, combining sprite and playfield, not yet synchronized.
The only working key is Reset.

I don't know if it's just me, but in this wide view of the boat, it seems more realistic and less cartoonish.

Captura de tela em 2024-03-07 23-19-40.png

Steamboat_3_Wip2.bas.bin

Edited by alfredtdk
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, alfredtdk said:

Barnstorming is currently the main source of inspiration for the creation of this third title in the Steamboat series.

I used to own Barnstorming back in the 80s. Good game. 

Using the combination of player sprite and playfield pixels does make the steamboat appear less cartoonish.

However, you'll notice that on Barnstorming that there's no horizontal movement. The plane can only move up and down. It's the other elements on the screen that scroll to the left, giving the illusion of horizontal flight. This is probably because the playfield pixels are double the size of the sprite pixels and can't scroll at the same granularity as the player sprite.

You may need to try fixing your steamboat into a horizontal position and scrolling the objects around it, or you could try using a missile to add to the width of your player sprite. The missiles and ball can scroll just like the P0 and P1 sprites.

• Like 1

Yes, that ocean liner looks good, but if you do try to scroll it horizontally, it can only go one blocky PF pixel at a time, and it will of course be super jumpy and not look very good.

And because of the way the PF is stored and rendered, it is extremely computationally expensive to even draw it asymmetrically, much less SCROLL it.  That's kind of the reason you never really saw this done BITD.

I wish you luck, but I think you will run into issues with the approach...

• Like 1

I'm thinking about making the source code available to anyone who wants to participate in the development, so that there can be faster evolution.
All the ideas expressed about what can or cannot be added to the title are incredible and deserve to be present in the conclusion of this trilogy.
Anyone who wants to participate in this project, please send me a private message and I will make the source code available. I thank and greet everyone.

Concept with the model of 3 docks arranged vertically, the maximum supported in the standard kernel is 11 lines.
From here I'm thinking about the possibility of migrating to the multisprite kernel to have other possibilities and benefits leaving the standard kernel.
The current concept model in my view is very close to the M.A.S.H. game, that is, you must transport a certain load limit to the docks in order to earn a score.
The difference is that there will be a time limit in meeting the objectives of collecting and unloading the cargo at the docks, the life bar will symbolize the steamboat's boiler, where the boiler will overheat and thus pose an imminent risk of explosion. of the boat. It will be a race against the clock.

Captura de tela em 2024-03-11 23-29-59.png

Captura de tela em 2024-03-11 23-31-17.png

Steamboat_3_Wip4.bas.bin

• Like 2

18 hours ago, alfredtdk said:

Testing a more realistic steamboat.

sort of looks like a submarine, but I like the shape.  might be that if you change the colors a little, it would look more steamboaty.

and if you can get the sidewheel to animate, you're in business!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, D Train said:

sort of looks like a submarine, but I like the shape.  might be that if you change the colors a little, it would look more steamboaty.

and if you can get the sidewheel to animate, you're in business!

I agree, the image of the submarine also came to my mind.
There are different models, from the simplest, white and black to the most complex. with multiple colors.
I made some changes to the colors to improve this. As for the wheel that propels the boat, it is generally located in the centralized part of the vessel, do you think there is a need to improve this animation of the wheels?

Captura de tela em 2024-03-18 22-25-48.png

Captura de tela em 2024-03-18 21-15-33.png

Captura de tela em 2024-03-18 21-15-05.png

Steamboat_3_Wip9.bas.bin

• Like 1